Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Road Dawg

    Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    45

    Default When does the puppy biting/nipping stop?!

    Olli is 12 weeks now and his biting and nipping keeps getting worse and worse. He will come over and just grabs my arm and bites it and when I tell him no he lunges at my face. He bites slippers and feet when they aren't in slippers. Hes ripped multiple pairs of pj pants and two sweater sleeves. I try to correct the behavior by giving him something hes allowed to chew but even still he gets bored and comes back to have another bite.

    Is this just puppy behavior? I think I'll cry if I had a 100+ pound dog gnawing on my arms and legs and then lunging and biting my nose because I told him no.

    Please say this ends?

  2. #2
    Road Dawg Sherlock's Watson's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Holly Ridge, NC
    Posts
    41
      Sherlock's Watson`s Photos

    Default

    It will eventually ends but it takes a while. When he is teething it is going to be the worst... Just keep redirecting him to appropriate toys to chew on. Try to keep him interested in other toys and don't let him have free access to all of his toys. If you give him a new toy to play with take one that he is ignoring and put it up out of sight. Sherlock only has access to 3 toys at a time inside and two outside now -- when he was that little it was only one toy inside and one outside. Also take this time to work on possessiveness and agressiveness over toys/food.

    My 8 month old (Sherlock) is finally done with using me as a chew toy...

  3. #3
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    2,245
      Davey Benson`s Photos

    Default

    I never had to deal with my great Pyrenees biting on me as puppies. Perhaps it's because I had two of them, and they could do all their chewing on each other.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

  4. #4
    Road Dawg

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Iron Range MN
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Sven was pretty bad about this as a pup. What worked for us was smearing peanut butter on my hand an enforcing the licking= good biting=bad.

    After he got his adult teeth he still will occasionally try a gentle gnawing. If I tell him stop, he will stop the gnawing but start slobbering with his tongue.

  5. #5
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Count me as another fan of encouraging the licking/peanut butter thing. Rajah stopped nipping after I regularly used that trick for about a month or two (i.e., at least once a day and before he would start nipping me, not after).

  6. #6
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) WildGrits's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    73
      WildGrits`s Photos

    Default

    We noticed a huge difference in the biting once Jacques baby canines came out. When the molars were coming through his mouth was so swollen I felt bad for him.

    Were at six months right now and the biting has been replaced with barking.

    He will still play nip or pinch but that is really only if we sit on the floor and sort of instigate it.

  7. #7
    Puppy (New Member)

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Olli is 12 weeks now and his biting and nipping keeps getting worse and worse. He will come over and just grabs my arm and bites it and when I tell him no he lunges at my face. He bites slippers and feet when they aren't in slippers. Hes ripped multiple pairs of pj pants and two sweater sleeves. I try to correct the behavior by giving him something hes allowed to chew but even still he gets bored and comes back to have another bite.

    Is this just puppy behavior? I think I'll cry if I had a 100+ pound dog gnawing on my arms and legs and then lunging and biting my nose because I told him no.

    Please say this ends?
    Bella is also 12 weeks and we are experiencing very similar behavior. We've only had her for 2 days so I'm not sure if this is Great Pyr behavior, due to her new home anxiety, general teething/puppy energy or a mixture of all. That said, like you I'm hoping it subsides. Earlier this evening she was really worked up and the only way I could get her to stop was by making a very loud noise on the table which seemed to startle her and stop the nipping but then she started to bark at my daughter and I instead, which concerned me that I may have scared her at least a little.

  8. #8
    Road Dawg

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Iron Range MN
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck1995 View Post
    Bella is also 12 weeks and we are experiencing very similar behavior. We've only had her for 2 days so I'm not sure if this is Great Pyr behavior, due to her new home anxiety, general teething/puppy energy or a mixture of all. That said, like you I'm hoping it subsides. Earlier this evening she was really worked up and the only way I could get her to stop was by making a very loud noise on the table which seemed to startle her and stop the nipping but then she started to bark at my daughter and I instead, which concerned me that I may have scared her at least a little.
    In my exp-pyr-ience, sample size of 1, the puppies definitetly like to play bite. And becareful with them around your face. I was playing with Sven then settled him, after a few minutes I bent down to pick up the project I was working on. Sven lunged up and got my nose. There was lots of blood and a flying pyr involved. He has never tried this again.


    Try the peanut butter training method. The lip squeeze or bass tongue methods did nothing for sven. Its all in the peanut butter. Sven still likes to mouth my hands and slobber.

  9. #9
    Puppy (New Member)

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    In my exp-pyr-ience, sample size of 1, the puppies definitetly like to play bite. And becareful with them around your face. I was playing with Sven then settled him, after a few minutes I bent down to pick up the project I was working on. Sven lunged up and got my nose. There was lots of blood and a flying pyr involved. He has never tried this again.


    Try the peanut butter training method. The lip squeeze or bass tongue methods did nothing for sven. Its all in the peanut butter. Sven still likes to mouth my hands and slobber.
    Thanks for your comments, she has gotten a little better just from working with her the past couple of days but still goes back to the excessive nipping when she gets worked up. We will try the peanut butter method to see if that helps.

  10. #10
    Puppy (New Member)

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Woods Hole, MA
    Posts
    1
      Patrick02540`s Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Olli is 12 weeks now and his biting and nipping keeps getting worse and worse. He will come over and just grabs my arm and bites it and when I tell him no he lunges at my face. He bites slippers and feet when they aren't in slippers. Hes ripped multiple pairs of pj pants and two sweater sleeves. I try to correct the behavior by giving him something hes allowed to chew but even still he gets bored and comes back to have another bite.

    Is this just puppy behavior? I think I'll cry if I had a 100+ pound dog gnawing on my arms and legs and then lunging and biting my nose because I told him no.

    Please say this ends?
    My Zena is 6.5 months and up until about two weeks ago was nipping at hands, arms, and ankles while acting out a lot of craziness in general. It's slowed down to "only" a gentle nip about 5 minutes after my wife or I arrive home (the first 5 minutes is slobbering, unmitigated love...then she'll get into play mode, which brought on the nips). While she was a nipper, I did the following to get her to stop:
    1.) "Sit" and "stay." This didn't work at first unless she saw a treat in my hand. When I did have a treat, and she did stop the nipping, and would sit, I would wait to see how long she remained calm. Over 30 seconds, and I would offer her the treat. Any less, I would issue the command again. Now, 9 times out of ten she'll calm down without needing to see a treat after the sit command, though I generally still reward her for compliance.
    2.) When she wouldn't pay attention to sit and stay with the treat, I would walk towards our bedroom where her crate is and I would say, "Come Zena" and point toward the bedroom. She knows her crate times, and this wasn;t one of them, so she would submit and stop the nipping. Of course, she might resume in a few minutes, and then we'd try another approach.
    3.) Turn and ignore. This would work if I faced away her, and didn't offer her access to my front. Like facing a wall, or the kitchen counter. She never jumped on me from the back, nor would she nip unless I was facing her. So this got her to stop, but not to stop from trying again once I turned around.

    Through all of this, the "No" command was useless, even though "no" worked very well with her on things she isn't allowed to chew, getting down from the counter, and so forth. "No" was really useless with the frantic nipping episodes.

    After 3 months of this, it got better rather quickly. Like I said above, within about two weeks. I've also noticed that in the past two weeks she's much much more attentive to my commands. Just last Sunday, she was able to successfully complete "All the way down" where she gets down on her belly. We'd been working on that for many weeks, and now she does it with just a voice command. I reward her after two or three repeats.
    Be patient with these guys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •