Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear, I truly feel your pain. Foolish me of a year ago honestly thought that Sebastian would have his CGC by now (insert Davey's animated laughing smiley here). Right now, he's not ready even to be in a class with other dogs, much less listen to what I ask when school is in session.
    Like Bijou, Sebastian will perform perfectly if I have barbecue in my hand. It's his favorite. Without barbecue, most of what I get is the, "Yeah right, lady, good luck with that" look.
    With that being said, down is his strongest command. I attribute that to his Saint Side, as opposed to anything I may have done right.
    I'm going to see how he is in October, and if he's calm enough to succeed in a class setting, I am going to scour the area for a class taught by someone who understands the special challenges of trying to get a Pyr to follow basic commands he's known since he was three months old. It's great that your class instructor seems to understand Missy.
    I just hope Sebastian and I can get past the point where my goal for class time is more lofty than simply not getting expelled...
    Missy's a good girl. She'll get the hang of it!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

So she has been going down without treats with no problems for the last hour or so....now she won't stand up on command. The two things we were suppose to work on this week of course. Thankfully stand isn't needed for CGC certification so I won't be pushing it as hard as down.

Honestly I didn't expect to her certified until she was at least 2 years old because, she is a big troublemaker and I didn't want to set unrealistic goals for her and I. She is now 4 years old and has mellowed out so I believe it is something we can achieve. Honestly I don't know how people with younger Pyrs get them to pass that test because, Missy is only half and I swear she is as stubborn as an ox.

Jewel`s Photos

I recently took Bijou to a couple of "show 'n go" obedience mock trial runs at a different place than we train. The first time I was there, the lady that was running the place, Pam, told me that she once knew a lady with a pyr training for competition obedience. The pyr lady told Pam that she intended to get a UD title with her pyr. An UD is a high level obedience title, not easy to obtain even for the biddable breeds. The pyr lady proceeded with training, and training, and training... They eventually obtained the CD title, which is the lowest level obedience title, then she quit... So Pam told me to take my time since I have a pyr and not to worry and not to hurry things ...

Tsuni, Missy will do just fine, I really and truly have no doubt. The first week was fun for her because it was about things she already knew and it was fun to show off. By the second week the "newness" wore off and then she realized you are wanting her to work, which is probably not something she's quite used to. It's just a temporary hump. Be persistent, Missy will get the point that working with you is actually not such a bad thing after all and it can be a lot of fun!

Tsunibear`s Photos

You are probably right Jewel. It's no longer new and she is realizing it is work. She doesn't mind working but, only on her terms. Tomorrow I plan on working her a lot in the yard. I was going to do it today but, the smoke from the rim fire plus the pollen from the almonds is killing and making me miserable. I can hardly breathe with my asthma acting up and then the coughing now...I know there is no way for me to be level headed with her today.

Tsunibear, this will make you laugh and feel better about Missy's progress...
    Knowing that a) Sebastian is a very willful boy, and b) He gets his strong will from both sides, I was wondering if the Berner in Missy might be a contributing factor in your frustrations. I assumed that it was, being that Berners and Saints are pretty similar.

The first three articles I read mentioned absolutely nothing about the ease (or lack therefore) of training a Berner. For fun, I decided to look up Berners on Animal Planet's Dog Breed Selector.

http://animal.discovery.com/breed-se...og-breeds.html

According to the "experts" at Animal Planet, Berners are hard to train. How does Animal Planet define hard to train? Well, in comparison, Saints are moderately easy to train, and Pyrs are easy to train. I mean, it's Animal Planet, so they have to know what they're talking about, right?

Also, now I am thoroughly convinced that Sebastian is, in fact, part Wildcat. Animal Planet rates both Saints and Pyrs as low energy, and says that while Saints are moderately playful, Pyrs are not at all playful. Really, after looking at several breeds, I'm wondering if he's not really a Standard Poodle in a Saint Suit (Medium Energy, Very Playful, Hard to Train, and Very Protective. That's him in a nutshell...)

So, really, give yourself a break. With Pyrs being far easier to train than Poodles, and Berners being far more difficult to train than Pyrs, You and Missy are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of us, and I was a better handler when I was 10 than I am now.

It's Animal Planet. They're Experts!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) MiyasMomma's Avatar

MiyasMomma`s Photos

I have to admit, this whole thread is making me feel much better about Miya.

Somehow, someday, we all have to find a way to get together. I MUST meet these amazing, confusing, delightful, frustrating, gorgeous, onery Pyrs!

Good luck Tsuni!!
    Miya's Momma

Because a home isn't a home without a dog.

In all reality, though, my sneaking suspicion remains unchanged. Berners, Saints, and Pyrs were all bred to work independently from humans, so it makes sense that they're all not so eager to respond blindly to our requests.

Standard Poodles gained popularity in France as Circus Performers, and were bred down to their smaller forms as part of a freak show-like spectacle.

Being that my Mamie was competing in trials when she was 14 months old, and learned the drop on recall before she was two, I would say that Standards are pretty easy to train. Had she not had hip displaysia, I have no doubt we could have had a blast in the Open, and then the Utility ring.

Sebastian, on the other hand, well, he's got the "drop" part of the drop on recall under his belt. Now we just have to work on the recall part.

We also have to make competitive dog clowning happen. That is something at which all of our pups were born to excel!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Animal Planet's Dog Breed Selector.
    http://animal.discovery.com/breed-se...og-breeds.html

I mean, it's Animal Planet, so they have to know what they're talking about, right?
    That site is a TOTAL DISASTER!!! In addition to the inaccurate crap they provided with respect to the pyrs, saints and berners, if you put in Finnish Spitz in the breed selector the page that comes up has pic of a dog that is MOST DEFINITELY NOT a FS. My friend breeds and shows FS and she as well as other members of her club have tried for years to get Animal Planet to correct the mistake and their pleas have been completely and irresponsibly ignored.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) MiyasMomma's Avatar

MiyasMomma`s Photos

You know SM, I think Sebastian is just one of those unique dogs that come along once in a lifetime. He has more personality than one little dog body can hold! I'm curious to see what he's like in another year. I think he's going to be an awesome older dog. You always here about the "awesome" dogs being a real handful when they were pups. You have alot of joy ahead of you!

There's so much disinformation out there about Pyr's its amazing to me. That's actually why I found you guys! I kept finding contradictory info on Pyrs....I was confused. That's why I love this forum, real people that own real Pyr's. Thanks for all the great advice over this last 9mos.

1 more month and my baby girl will be a year old!!! I can't believe it!!
    Miya's Momma

Because a home isn't a home without a dog.

Tsunibear`s Photos

Holy cow Animal Planet's site is just way off. The best part about it is if you click on the video they show you the Dogs 101 clip of the breed and the clip contradicts what they put in writing. It's kinda funny if you think about it. Also after watching the Dogs 101 clip she holds her ears like a Berner. Also they had a Berner stand staying attached to a cart so why can't she do it on command again? That's right because, she knows I am a push over. I am told it is my tone of voice that is problem because, with sinus infection right now I sound more burly and sure enough she is listening to me. Maybe I should catch a cold then take the CGC test.