Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Default From the Houston Dog Show 2013

We just got back from spending 3 days at the big Houston Reliant Show. This is a REALLY big show with conformation, obedience, agility, flyball, and a million vendors and rescue group booths all under one roof. Bro and Bijou ran in agility on Thursday and Friday and we all went back to do some shopping on Saturday.

Bijou was completely overwhelmed by the noise level on Thursday and totally shut down on me. She managed only to do an obstacle or two before losing it in both of her runs. But she made a REMARKABLE recovery 24 hours later and did much better on Friday. Here for your entertainment is her first run on Friday. By no means perfect in that run as she made plenty of mistakes, but she was clearly having fun being silly and entertaining the crowd. You will see that at one point when she was running amok, she actually brushed the judge's leg then ran smack into me. That's when the judge said to me, "it's a good thing she's so darn cute"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gctGx1X763M

More pics to come below from the show

Jewel`s Photos

There were quite a few rescue groups with booths at the show. I was glad to find a pyr rescue among them! Here is Bijou posing with the pyrs working the booth and then a pic of the dedicated people from the rescue. The pyrs garnered quite a bit of attention so hopefully maybe someone will decide to adopt one after seeing them in person.

This one is for Tsunibear!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

You can sure tell that Bijou is having a great time! Smile on her face, tail up & proud....she didn't care whether she got points or not...she was just happy that there were so many people watching her!! Great job team Bijou!!!

Sad to see so many Pyr's in need of a home, but hopefully they will all find one soon. They are so well groomed & mannered in that photo

I'm not sure hubby woud ever let me have something like that done to one of our Pyrs...that was a little over the top for me

Thanks for the photos Jewel, hope you had fun too!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Bijou looks like she was having a great time! What a great way to spend the weekend!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) MiyasMomma's Avatar

MiyasMomma`s Photos

Bijou did look like she was having fun!

What did they do to that poor poodle!!!

Love the pics of all the pyrs, thanks for sharing!
    Miya's Momma

Because a home isn't a home without a dog.

Jewel`s Photos

Bijou is something else... Been in training since she was 16 months old and she's now 5... and you see how that pill runs... Bro, on the other hand, is pretty much perfect very time he runs. Except on Friday his retarded mom sent him to the WRONG jump at the very last jump and he got a NQ The silence from the crowd was deafening...

So a bit back we had a discussion of how the kuvasz is different than a pyr. It's really interesting that the kuvasz is more rare than the pyr but somehow people know of that breed. We were asked several times at the show whether either one or the other of mine is a kuvasz. Here are some shots of the one kuvasz that was entered at the show (there was also only one pyr entered and i don't think he showed up). This is a female so she's got a more delicate build, but her head is a typical kuvasz head. You can see how her head is more more wedge like and pointy when compared to the pyr, and how her ears are more forwardly placed as correct for the kuvasz. Oh, and see the lack of feathers on her legs, and her small feet.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Usually, when I had a non-qualifying dog in the obedience ring, it was due to the down-stay. However, I think it was my first all-breed show when my dog decided to poop in the ring. That collective gasp and then silence was the worst.
    You're right about the Kuvasz looking completely different upon close examination. Being used to dogs with giant heads (Sebastian), it looks like someone photoshopped a tiny head onto that Kuvasz's body. Still, she's beautiful. My perception is just a little warped. I still have a hard time accepting that Sebastian is the biggest dog some people have ever seen.
    I would love to get Sebastian involved in some sort of ring sport, but we'll see. He transforms into a circus poodle when I have barbecue in my hand (just the smoked meat, not the sauce), but take the barbecue away, and he's my adorable, Mommy-killing, hundred-pound bag of wet sand. Still, if he ever develops an attention span, I think he would enjoy the atmosphere and of course, the attention.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

First of all let me say I think Bijou did amazing on her run...I would be just thrilled if Missy did one of the jumps without messing up. Second of all I loved the group picture of the Pyrs. I like when people allow them to dress up a bit personally. Last but, not least I need a white dog now so I can dye it and make it look awesome...and I need to finish the tutu I started I guess.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lancelot's Avatar

Lancelot`s Photos

Boy do I enjoy watching Bijou in the ring. I'm sure Lance would just try to step over the jumps. No energy level at all. I'm also asked quite often if Lance is a Kuvaz. It's so odd since I have never met one in person but do meet other Pyrs on occasion.
    [IMG]joans hom coming 130.JPG[/IMG]

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

Bijou was amazing! I love watching her in the ring....good job Mom!