Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

The thread that SebastiansMom linked to has the peanut butter kisses method and it is a life saver when it comes to cute fuzzy little land sharks.

Jewel`s Photos

I really hope that the peanut butter method works for you!

My pup is one week shy of 5 months. So we were just there with the worst of the pyrshark stage. He was pretty bad, just like you described your girl. We have a TON of toys for him but he much preferred the interactive play of biting into a live being instead of an inanimate object. I tried distraction, redirection, holding his lips onto his own teeth. Everything except the peanut butter method, which I was well aware of. But we don't have kiddos at home so I could handle playing with him as his playmate.

What I noticed with my pup was that when he turned 3 months old, overnight he had a big increase in energy level. It shot up like 25% overnight. Then when he turned 4 months, again, literally overnight his energy level shot up another 30%. He is being raised as our only child, a first time for us doing that. Before him we always had an adult dog when we brought a pup home. After he turned 3 months old, I found it more and more difficult to drain his energy on our own. So we incorporated walks. But that proved inadequate. Ultimately what worked for us is playdates with other dogs and right after he turned 4 months old I have been day boarding him several times a week with a friend who has several weinmeraners. After he spent a day at my friend's place, he's mellow and not much interested in biting games with us.

Your pup has GSD in her. That potentially makes her WAY higher energy than pyrs and potentially WAY more obsessive. One of my previous ones was a 1/2 pyr 1/2 retriever/aussie. His energy level was much higher than my purebred pyrs. If you can find places and time for your pup to play with other pups and young dogs, it should help out with setting her up for success at learning to handle her little two-legged charges at home in a much more polite manner.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Jewel brings up a great point about daycare. I started taking Sebastian when he was about six months old, and it was a lifesaver. Even though he only went occasionally, when he did go, he came home nice and tired. Over time, the interaction with other dogs taught him valuable social skills - bite inhibition being one of them.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Thanks SebastiansMom, Tsunibear, and Jewel! Exercise, doggie play dates and peanut better are on the menu!

Puppy (New Member)

Default Our Pyr/GS started out the same... she is much better now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4222.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	8491Our Pyr/White German Shepard mix Chloe would bite your face when we first got her at three months. At her foster home, she was known as the crazy one of the litter. I remember her foster mom telling us we could never put our face close to hers as she would bite our face. At about 6 - 9 months, she grew out of it. I can rub noses with her now, play rough with her but she will NEVER bite!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
    We've had our pyr/GSD for a month. She's close to 3 months old. We love her and were attracted to the gentle nature of ours because we have 3 young kids. Unfortunately our pup chews and bites CONSTANTLY. And I mean constantly. If you are sitting she comes up and starts chewing on you. If you pet her she's delighted and starts chewing your hand. If my kids walk by she runs, leaps and bites them. It's all the time. We love her and want to help her be a successful adult dog. But she's regularly bringing my kids to tears. If she's with you, she's trying to bite you. We have supplied her with tons of toys, give her bones and pig ears. But sadly if I can't watch her constantly she needs to go in her crate or someone is going to get hurt. I tried closing her mouth and telling her no for a few days but she began snarling at me and bolting when she saw me. So I decided that was pyr sensitivity and needed to go another route and earn her trust back. She's in puppy obedience class. But it really doesn't address this issue. Attachment 8489Attachment 8487Attachment 8490
    Last edited by joesch1955; 02-05-2017 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Add picture

Puppy (New Member)

Our Pyr/White German Shepard Failed obedience school! As she is a very Dominant dog, you do have to let them know who is boss- or they will let you know who is boss!
    A spray bottle with water helped us get the message thru - she would bark when she wanted something and not stop. She got the message. Now I usually can stop her by just raising my voice.
    She is a wonderful companion at three years old, just a bit headstrong at times.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sebastian had quite a few difficulties in his first two obedience classes. I don't see it so much as he "failed" those classes - they just simply weren't the right classes for him. Different dogs learn differently, and respond better to different techniques. Too many trainers out there fail to understand that.

The best trainers will be watching the humans' behavior in addition to the dogs', and will work with the humans to adjust their behavior in a way that maximizes communication, cooperation, and trust between dog and handler.

Sebastian's personality is that of a highly instinctual LGD. He doesn't have a biddable bone in his body, so my attempts to "be the boss" only served to make his unruly behavior worse. Once I started trusting him with some of the decisions (which route we took on our walks, which one of us walked ahead of the other, etc.), he started to become more and more cooperative. Once I leaned to control my response to his bad behavior, and remain calm, so as to avoid feeding energy into said bad behavior, we were finally able to work together, instead of working against one another. He will never be an obedience trial champion, but as an adult, he is usually cooperative when I need him to be, which is something I never thought I would see.

The single biggest mistake I made in raising Sebastian was listening to trainers who failed to listen to me. They refused to see him as an individual, and thought that there was something wrong with him for not responding to their techniques the way, say, a Sheltie would. He didn't fail those classes. Those classes failed him.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

How reassuring! We chose pyr because of their gentleness with kids so I've been taken by total surprise at how much biting goes on but I guess I need to remember she's a pup.

I can't believe how much Chloe looks like our pup! Great shot of her kissing! I'll give my Masi time.

Quote Originally Posted by joesch1955 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4222.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	8491Our Pyr/White German Shepard mix Chloe would bite your face when we first got her at three months. At her foster home, she was known as the crazy one of the litter. I remember her foster mom telling us we could never put our face close to hers as she would bite our face. At about 6 - 9 months, she grew out of it. I can rub noses with her now, play rough with her but she will NEVER bite!

Thank you all immensely for your tips and experiences! Peanut butter kisses have DRAMATICALLY reduced the biting! Now she only bites when she gets really excited or when one of my kids picks her up for no reason for the 10th time in 2 minutes.

I'm confused how it even worked, though because she never once bit while licking the peanut butter. So we never took our hands away. We just told her "good kisses" the whole time. It's like a lightbulb went on and she realized there's another way to interact with us with her mouth. So now when we pet her instead of biting she licks us. And when our faces are by hers instead of taking a chunk out of our noses she licks.

So grateful for the suggestion! For the remainder of the time if she deliberately bites she goes instantly to time out. My kids can't lift her into time out or react quickly enough so I always do it. So she NEVER bites me but she still bites my kids if they're exciting her by running around or annoying the snot out of her.
    We're trying to play lots of games with her, mostly tug of war and can hopefully set up some Other dog play time. I'm trying to teach a pyr to fetch which may be a fools errand but then she could get the exercise and I can sit. Hee hee.
    Last edited by Darcie; 02-08-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Typo

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
    I'm trying to teach a pyr to fetch which may be a fools errand .
    Ah, not necessarily. Yours is a pyr mix, and mixes can be very different than a purebred pyr. Many GSDs are great retrievers. My 1/2 pyr 1/2 retriever/aussie would play fetch and would retrieve things on command. My purebred pyrs... not so good at it.