Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	5037
    This is my girl! I will upload more when I have time!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Romanji's Avatar

Romanji`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by CharleeSmalls View Post

What a cutie!
    I love her coloring.
    Roman says... "I'm too Se><xy for my... so Se><xy it hurts... Cause I'm a model YKWIM?"

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Loki's Mom's Avatar

Loki's Mom`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by CharleeSmalls View Post

A beauty! And she looks so wise. Does she favor 1 breed over the other behaviorally or do you see a mix of both?

Puppy (New Member)

Default She could be our Dog Chloe's Twin

Your dog looks JUST like our Pry / German Shepherd mix, Chloe! She was also a rescue dog, she just turned 1. She certainly has some Pyr Charastics, she loves to sit out in our backyard (our house is on a hill), and look over the land below us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chloe 1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	6280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chloe3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	6281  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) MooseMom's Avatar

MooseMom`s Photos

wow joesch!!! they look so so so alike. unbelievable. havent seen anyone (other than his brother!) looking so much like moose.

1 year old? moosie goose just turned 2, but he's definitely still a silly puppy. has the energy of a GSD when he's playing but the zen of a Pyr when it's couch time. curious to know about your girl's personality! this guy is the biggest cuddle bug i ever met

i attached a pic of him and his bro (moose on the left). how much does chloe weigh? moose is about 75 now

Views:	68 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	6282Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	6283

Puppy (New Member)

Chloe is 68 pounds. Not sure if you could see it in the photo, but she has one blue eye.

Chloe has a similar personality to Moose. When she wants to play, she wants to play! She can play catch for a half hour straight. She actually goads me into chasing her around the house - I've gotten a lot of exercise with her! On the other hand, She can be aloof, and sometimes even finds a quiet spot in the house to be alone. When she finally quiets down after an active day, she is a couch potato, and you can pet her to your hearts content. When she is in her active mode however, she does not like to be petted, and usually will pull her head away.
    She can be very hard to walk, and will take off after a bird for example, yanking the leash. If she catches me unaware, she can literally pull the leash out of my hand - she is very strong!
    When I take her for a longer walk, away from people, I usually put her on a 20 foot rope. This makes a big difference, is seems the 20 foot distance is fine for her, she almost never pulls on the leash. Keeping her on a short leash can be bad for your joints!
    She also has a habit of going "Wild Weasel", as I call it. She will grab the leash in her mouth and shake it violently. She has grabbed the leash out of my hand once, and even (!!!) almost grabbed a poop bag out of my hand. But she does all of this playfully, she has NEVER been violent to any of us, and she loves other dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) MooseMom's Avatar

MooseMom`s Photos

aw she sounds like a whole lot of fun. moose also has a high prey drive. he'll start shaking and pulling like crazy if he sees a rabbit or some sort of critter, and he caught a squirrel once! he's actually not THAT fast... i think he got lucky. he's got tons of energy, but he runs with a pyr-ish sort of galumph...

what an interesting mix we got! i'm a fan... which i could have more dogs like him

Puppy (New Member)

jacksmom`s Photos

New here! We just got a GSD/Great Pyr pup. He is almost 4 months old. His name is Jackson and has been with us for 6 days now. He is super sweet and we are amazed at how wonderful his temperament is, especially with our 5 and 3 year old boys. He wants to be with the kids over everyone else, but he seems to need to know what they are up to and that they are ok. It is so sweet. Our biggest obstacle right now is crate training him. He hates it and it breaks my heart, but we work and he will definitely destroy my house if he's left alone. I believe it is more the being left alone then the actual crate that bothers him so much. But my teenage son is home by 3 pm and can let him out to play. I think after he realizes we will be back, it may get better. I will try to post a picture later, having trouble getting it to load right now.

We've had our pyr/GSD for a month. She's close to 3 months old. We love her and were attracted to the gentle nature of ours because we have 3 young kids. Unfortunately our pup chews and bites CONSTANTLY. And I mean constantly. If you are sitting she comes up and starts chewing on you. If you pet her she's delighted and starts chewing your hand. If my kids walk by she runs, leaps and bites them. It's all the time. We love her and want to help her be a successful adult dog. But she's regularly bringing my kids to tears. If she's with you, she's trying to bite you. We have supplied her with tons of toys, give her bones and pig ears. But sadly if I can't watch her constantly she needs to go in her crate or someone is going to get hurt. I tried closing her mouth and telling her no for a few days but she began snarling at me and bolting when she saw me. So I decided that was pyr sensitivity and needed to go another route and earn her trust back. She's in puppy obedience class. But it really doesn't address this issue. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3260.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	8489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2943.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	8487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2899.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	8490
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2927.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	8488  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome Darcie and New Puppy!

Here is a thread you might find to be helpful:

http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...to-stop-biting

Sebastian was quite the tiny land shark tyrant as a puppy. Sadly, I found this forum and TexasKat's method of teaching kisses too late to try it on him. Hopefully, it will work for your puppy.

Sebastian eventually grew out of his biting ways, but I had the luxury of time, being that there were no kiddos at home for him to terrorize.

Hoping you are able to help her learn not to bite soon! Needly puppy teeth hurt!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian