Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) MooseMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

MooseMom`s Photos

how cool!! welcome to the forum - can't wait to see pics of your boy Coty!!

Moosie is one of the most affectionate dogs I've ever met. Would have his head on my lap or shoulder all day if he could. Thankfully we haven't seen any aggression. He does play rough with his wrestling buddies at the park and good lord does he have energy to run. Though he happily has a bit more willingness to listen, most of the time he seems most like a pyr.

How big is your guy? Moose just turned one in Nov - he's 67 pounds now. Not sure what to expect. So glad you found my post!

Puppy (New Member)

coty's moma`s Photos

I Love this website to talk with other lovers of these wonderful dogs! Coty was 75 pounds at 1 year old! He now weighs 98! The vet says he is a good, healthy weight!! He isn't a big foodie, he rather skip morning meals and eat big at night, but I encourage two meals a day, I am scared of bloat!! He is super affectionate also like Moose, he would love nothing more than to touch me all day long, which I love that! He is now 6 and takes running bursts and figure 8's if the weather is cold!! He loves to lay in the center of the big back yard at night before coming inside!!! He is fine off leash with dogs of any kind, but he is leash reactive because a big dog jumped on him rough one day He loves 2 pyrenees females He whines like a german shepherd does and I think barks a little more than a pyree would, so I assume that too is his GSD side! He is the best thing ever to us! I posted pics, let me know if you can't see them, I will try to re-post. Love talking to you about these wonderful guys we have!!! We are madly in love with Coty We have no children so he is our boy!!!!

MooseMom`s Photos

he sounds wonderful. moosie whines a lot too - i think they look quite a bit alike as well... or at least more alike than the other pyr mixes i've seen. have never seen pics of another pyr/ white shepherd till now!

hope our guy gets as big as yours!! . i would love that. he's the same way about food though - only wants to eat at night. and good lord does he love the cold and snow. runs around like a maniac as though every last snowflakes is a long lost friend.

no kids here either. good thing he's such a love bug - gives me lots of joy.

Puppy (New Member)

coty's moma`s Photos

Moose is a handsome boy! They do look a lot alike! We live in the deep south so we rarely have real cold snaps, but when it is he runs in circles and has a lot of fun!!! He has such a great personality, he moans when he lies down and bout to doze off. We are madly in love with him, I can't imagine not having one of these awesome dogs! His beagle sister is old and if he is left too lonely one day, moma will look for a similar girl for him!! He is worth all the shedding!!
    He has his own queen size mattress and at 9:30pm every night, he puts himself to bed!

Puppy (New Member)

Hello,
    I'm new here and excited to finally find someone else w/ this cross! I was searching
    GSD/Pyr mixes and found this post.

We have and have had purebred Pyrs, but my greatest Pyr love was our former
    GSD/Pyr cross female. She came to us at only a couple of months old. She came from
    backyard breeders of GSDs and Pyrs who had an "accident." Her father was
    a GSD and her mother was a Pyr.

Gwenny was so smart, so loyal and devoted and the most patient, longsuffering dog
    I've ever known. She loved everyone and everything except for (you guessed it), other
    alpha female dogs.

She adored cats, sought them out, and slept with them curled around her at night.
    She was protective of our children, but would let them climb over her - a true nanny.
    However, she loved to wander away, looking for those coyotes who called her rude
    names at night, so we kept her in a huge fenced yard. We lost her last spring to cancer.
    She was a unique dog, and I still cannot believe she's gone. She was 10.

In her last few years, she was our chicken guard during the day and patiently stayed
    with them in their yard, despite having initially been a house dog. (We had more than
    one flock decimated by coyotes/canines and had to have a reliable flock guardian.) I would
    caution against automatically using a GSD cross for a chicken guard without careful
    consideration and lengthy, supervised observation due to the prey drive in that breed.

When we lost her, I was heartbroken and searched nationwide for a GSD/Pyr cross, but there
    were none available. I ended up w/ a very nice 5 mo. old purebred Pyr rescue, but he's taking a
    much longer time to mature, and I don't trust him around chickens yet.

It still feels like Gwenny is part of our farm, and I think I'll always be on the lookout for a similar
    cross.

All the best wishes for you and your special dog! I'd love to hear more about him.

Sonje Gwenny

Puppy (New Member)

coty's moma`s Photos

First off so very sorry for your loss Cancer is an evil disease and takes these babies too soon. We lost our Basset in August to cancer.
    Gwenny sounded like a very smart, good girl. Both breeds are fabulous and make for a wonderful dog! Surprisingly this is a fairly common breed in Alabama, my brother in law told me of a free male puppy someone at his church had, but at the time we had 3 dogs, and I really just need to only bring a female around Coty, 2 pyrees of the same *** don't gel too good!! Coty is like my soul mate of all dogs I have ever had. He just looks at me and I melt!!! He is a very good watch dog for our home!! As much as I love this particular dog, I am looking to get a full pyree in the future, hoping that I won't have the extreme barking and leash aggression with a female pyree! Have you posted pics of Gwenny, I would love to see pics of her!

MooseMom`s Photos

sonje thank you for posting !!! it's wonderful to read about your girl. i'm so delighted to hear from other pyr/shepherd parents.

moose is also a wonderful mix of the breeds. has quite a few pyr traits but no night barking or resource guarding at this point... he has the energy of a shepherd and loves to run and run and run but is also the MOST affectionate big dog i have ever met.

we are very grateful for the shepherd influence on his bid-ability.

please share pics when you can! and welcome hugs.

Puppy (New Member)

I have a Great Pyr/GSD mix! I have been searching for some information about this mix for so long!! She is the best dog I've ever owned! Her name is Charlee Smalls, and she's basically awesome. My only complaint is that she thinks she owns the outside. I can leave her in the house all day, uncrated, and she doesn't get on the furniture or chew anything up, but the minute I leave her outside alone she will find something to drag/chew/dig up. It's head scratching really. I lost all my patio cushions to her when she was a new puppy. I thought she grew out of it (she's a year old this month), and she chewed up my grill cover yesterday! I can't figure out how to train her to stop because she does it when I'm not around, and I'm afraid to get new patio furniture for fear of her doing that again! Other than that she's about perfect!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Loki's Mom's Avatar

Loki's Mom`s Photos

Welcome Charlee Smalls and owner! A high-energy dog alone outside will find things to turn his mental and physical energy to. From experience. My pyr/aussie mix loves chewing large plastic plant pots, dragging them around, arranging his own obstacle courses and racing around them. He's also taken out a couple lawn chairs and cushions. Other than indulging his indiscretions (and picking/raking up after him - though I'm determined to teach him to do this for himself )I try to supply him with acceptable chews - cardboard boxes, plastic milk or water jugs, brown paper, and of course bones and toys, playtimes and dog park visits.

There are some highly acclaimed toys that I plan on checking out for him like these (ball http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER, and tug-and-toss ball http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER). Otherwise, other possibly mitigating actions may be more interactive playtime, or another playmate (e.g. doggie friend).

Don't forget to post a pic of your girl!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Romanji's Avatar

Romanji`s Photos

First off.... Cool thread and a welcome, hello to the new ones and also the new to me ones here. (Existing thread I see).

Yup, both hubby and I did considered adopting and rescuing a bunch of GSD x pyr mixes... But unfortunately they were all probably adopted out hence never even got one reply or thank you for your interest... But it did lead us partly to this forum too as part of the research of the "pyr part" of the mix, sparked the interest in Great Pyrenees and got Roman.

I still remembered how cute those 14weeks old pups were....
    There were a couple of darker tans to black fluffy teddy bear ones to a couple of tan reddish ones... All adorable.

How we came across that rescue page is that we were finally ready for a GSD (or so we thought) for my hubby (his first dog; he has been with many but never his own)....
    I had a GSD/Dobbie mix and his family adopted a stray GSD once.
    And we wanted to rescue a puppy.
    Thus saw this bunch on the internet... GSD rescue page.
    That happened in spring of 2012.

So after a month of non replies from rescue, and we already started researching the Great Pyreness part of the dog (GSD we researched on and off since our first house totally unsuitable for dogs due to being right onto main 4 lane road since 2001). Hubby fell head over heels with the breed and decided to give pyr a try.

So talking to his cousin (the vet) and through the farmer's circle, word of mouth and recommendations, is how we got Roman as hubby's Xmas gift (gotcha date is Oct but its for xmas all the same) from all his gals. Daughters all chip in too....

Roman is a big chewer... Not just pillows, I wish... Lol
    He has gone through literary thousands worth in carpeting (almost a whole floor has to be replaced), furniture (hot tub, deck box, TV media centers), and loves my designer shoes (ex designer shoe collector, which I often joked how I could afford to feed this monster boy) etc.

Yeah we are lucky to have found Roman indeed.
    And I read about that similarities in the independent thinker trait too in GSD (they may differ in wording slightly but still...).

Both doggies with a noble heart.
    Roman says... "I'm too Se><xy for my... so Se><xy it hurts... Cause I'm a model YKWIM?"