Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) MooseMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

MooseMom`s Photos

Default Pyr / German Shepherd Mix Puppy - anyone with experience or thoughts?

Hi everyone -

This forum was extremely useful to me as I prepared to adopt our new guy and now that he's here, I'd love to participate a little more.

Moose is an 8 month old rescue, half pyr half white german shepherd, who was born in Tennessee and spent his early months in foster homes. He seems exceptionally well socialized and has not displayed any kind of fear or aggression towards any of the many many people and dogs to whom we've introduced him.

We've had him for two weeks and he is heeling well on the leash, coming, sitting and (recently) laying down on command. He displays the stubbornness that I expected from a Pyr only once in a while... he definitely believed he should be allowed on our bed for the first week, for example, and will occasionally look at me like I'm nuts when I ask him to sit. Getting him in his crate was suddenly difficult on the 4th or 5th day but I made it worth his while and have been throwing some cheese in there and praising him highly. His cat-like batting of toys is particularly pyrish as well... not to mention those eyes! He loves a good couch cuddle and my boyfriend can't help but invite him up every chance he gets (see pic #2)

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone else who has had this mix, or anyone who might care to speculate. On the one hand, he seems pretty eager to please, which probably highlights his GSD side, but on the other hand, I don't want to exasperate his Pyr side by overtraining and annoying him... while the two breeds have some similarities (tending towards dominance), they also seem very different in terms of how independent they are bred to be and want to be (sound about right??)

I guess ultimately it will come down to using my instincts and noticing where he needs training and when he has had enough. Another part of the reason I wanted to bring him up in this forum is also just because I see these as two very formidable (and very wonderful!) breeds, and I want to do everything I can to keep him on his way to being a balanced and happy adult.

Many thanks to all the awesome dog folks here. Any/all thoughts welcome!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	2563 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	1586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	1067 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	1587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	1588  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Oh my he is adorable!

Welcome to the boards and I can't wait to hear even more stories about Moose.

As for the over training I believe he will let you know when he has had enough. I myself have a Pyr/Berner mix and she has went through three levels of training and starting in August we are taking a refresher course so we can be ready pass a CGC test. So in my experience they tend to let you know when they are done with the training. So long as you are giving Moose treats and praise I think he doesn't mind being asked to sit, lay, stay and so on.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

Wow,....... oh wow!

I have one of each...... their personalities can't be any further apart than they are.

My GSD is very much a Velcro dog, with one exception, she is extremely prey driven. So if I don't see her, I know where she is, out hunting. Usually a sharp whistle or a call with send her running to me.

My pyrs are the opposite of that.

My GSD loves to run, and will happily keep up with my ranger (about 40mph) for extended distances. Pyrs do short bursts of speed, oh, they can be quick, but not over the miles.

Both shed just awful.....

My GSD is always looking at me as if to say "what can I do for you now !?!?" (the pyrs look at me as if to say "time for a nap *yawn*" )

GSD loves to swim and is always in the water, the pyrs, not very often. (although that may be dog to dog, my first pyr was in the water a lot)

I think the biggest thing I notice is the energy level between the two breeds. The GSD is much higher strung, almost neurotic. My pyrs always have a "stoner chick" look to them.

As far as your mix goes.... it's hard to say what's the dominate trait. As you have probably already read, even if you have a 50/50 cross, you won't get half one's traits, and half another, you will run the full spectrum of things shared. He may be 100% pyr with his nocturnal barking. (and maybe 100% GSD with being prey driven)

I was told once by a K9 officer that one of the traits that are considered when selecting a canine officer to train, is to find one that has object fixation. They take in a large tennis ball sized rubber ball, and they go from pen to pen, bouncing the ball, and the look for the dog that can super focus in on that object. That's their starting point.

Sounds like you have a very interesting new family member to get to enjoy.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

MooseMom`s Photos

Thanks for the thoughts and the welcome!

Yeah, Davey, it's going to be unbelievably fun getting to know him. My personal hope is that he's a GSD when it comes to running. I'd love to be able to take him on my daily jogs or run him behind the jeep. Proceeding cautiously with that, though, as so far he seems more of the "stoner" type. Stoner plus velcro, actually - he's a funny guy.

I'll be posting more as we go. Super fun stuff.

Jewel`s Photos

I've never had a GSD but the ones I've met are like Davey described, always looking for a job to do and on the neurotic side, and yes, can patrol and pace all day. Pyrs, most of them anyway, are pretty good "zen" masters... although my purebred pyr gets bored with the "zen" thing and looks for things to do... she's not a very typical pyr.

I also have a pyr mix who is very athletic and much higher energy than most pyrs. He is 1/2 pyr and the other half is retriever/aussie (best guess). He is smaller than a purebred pyr, full grown at 25" tall and skinny at just under 70 lbs. He's eager to please, easy to train and very responsive to commands... his most obvious pyr traits are his white coat and the way he carries his tail

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lancelot's Avatar

Lancelot`s Photos

Can't help with the mix but my sister has one of each, both females. Becky, the GSD is 11 and starting to fail. Lacey is 3 1/2. They get along beautifully. It's funny to see Becky try to get Lazy Lacey to play with her. Becky will nudge her with her nose and paw at Lacey all the time Lacey is pretending to be asleep till Becky gives up. The one thing they have in common is the stubborness. Beck was in training classes for 2 solid years but when it came to utility training she outright refused to carry the dumbell. So she's a college dropout. Lacey is a Therapy Dog but Becky is much too neurotic to be good at that.
    [IMG]joans hom coming 130.JPG[/IMG]

MooseMom`s Photos

Well, the more I hear about GSD and Pyr personalities from you all, the more I realize what a Pyr I have in terms of his energy level. Moosie is anything but a neurotic pacer, and seems to be thoroughly pleased with the frequent napping opportunities that our heat wave has provided. AC on and eyes closed!!

I will say that I enjoy his desire to stay close. As the pic shows, he always joins me on the couch when I plop down and open up the laptop...

He'll be starting puppy classes soon - will be interesting to see whether he likes it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	couch nap.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	1592  
    Last edited by MooseMom; 07-17-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: pic upside down

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lancelot's Avatar

Lancelot`s Photos

If you go on to obedience classes after puppy classes you will really know which breed he favors.
    [IMG]joans hom coming 130.JPG[/IMG]

MooseMom`s Photos

Default wanna see him?

just thought i'd post a tiny clip if anyone is curious about this boy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jONDa...ature=youtu.be

Puppy (New Member)

coty's moma`s Photos

New on here, but just found this post! I too, have a Great Pyrenees/White GSD mix! He is guestimated to be about 6 years old! He was left behind when his family moved out and left him! He is the most handsome, sweet boy I have ever had. I am trying to download photos of him, I love to show him off! I have had GSD full blooded in past, and so I see that Coty has mostly pyrenees personality! My sister has two pyrenees and Coty has a girlfriend who is a two year old pyrenees! We snuggle and spoon with our big boy, he is such a lover, but very leash aggressive and barks way more than a pyree should. He whines a lot like the GSD does!