Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Pinched nerve? Or seizure?

Hello! My 11.5 yr old great pyr Mr Bear has never had seizures before and is in excellent health for his age except for severe arthritis in his back. He has no hip issues and his bloodwork is perfect. However in the past few months when he is sleeping he will be dreaming and "run" in his sleep. He has had several episodes where it is like he is trying to get up and his weak leg is pinched or cramped up and he will jerk. Once we massage his leg and he calms down he is perfectly fine. Even my vet is not sure it is an actual seizure or perhaps a pinched nerve or spinal cord issue triggering muscle spasms. Has anyone heard of severe arthritis causing this type of reaction? His very first episode happen 2days after his first dose of rimidyl so in lieu of taking rimidyl he takes adequin shots instead and daily glucosamine chondrotin pills. Any thoughts?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) MiyasMomma's Avatar

MiyasMomma`s Photos

BearMom,
    Our first golden Sonny, had a terrible time with arthritis and seizures. This sounds kind of like what he did. Sonny would "lock up" because Doc said he didn't have any cartilage left on his hip bones. We would have to help him down and pick him up when he would get stuck. This is heartbreaking to watch. I hope you can do something for him.
    Miya's Momma

Because a home isn't a home without a dog.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the health issues of your geriatric pyr.

Just from what you discribe, without being there to witness the event, it could go either way. If it is some sort of seizure, then you just have to practice seizure midigation. (I had a black lab that as a puppy had numerous grand mal seizures, and they were a little troubling to watch sometimes) However, usually a seizure won't effect just one limb, but certianly could effect balance.

Also it could be like the vet doc suggested, and could be pinched nerve, in the leg, or even up into the back spine.

Some locations have vet clinics that practice stem cell therapy on animals, with optimistic results, however at a price. There was a discussion on that topic in one of our threads here. Certianly an option if you have the means.

At nearly 12 years old, you've done very well with your pyr. From what I hear, that's doing well, I personally have not had a great pyrenees last as long, although I hope to with the two I currently have.

Edit: Miya's Momma, posted first. I think she's probably right on the money with her suggestion.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Maggie's mom's Avatar

Maggie's mom`s Photos

I may not quite understand what Mr. Bear is doing...but but from what you describe, it sounds more like he's dreaming rather than having a seizure. if it's any consolation, all three of my young dogs "run", jerk, talk () in their sleep, and sometimes, it can look fairly violent! I've always thought if they are asleep when doing this, it's probably not a seizure but a dream. If they are awake and exhibit that sort of behavior (or any sort of "zoned out", spacey behavior), it's probably a seizure.

I may be a little suspicious of the Rimadyl if these episodes seem to get worse or if he exhibits any of the symptoms you describe while awake. While Rimadyl is generally well tolerated and the SE are usually GI in nature, different dogs may react differently and show adverse SE. Since Pyrs seem more sensitive to meds, an adjustment in dosage may be necessary, esp. since your boy is older.

I hope Mr Bear is feeling less painful by now, and not showing any adverse effects to your treatment program. Let us know how he's doing!
    (My last 2 dogs both went through the Adequan series and I was really surprised at how much it helped their severe arthritis. I like Adequan a lot.)

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you all for your replies. It helps. Mr Bear was only on rimidyl for three days and has never taken again. Yes I still think his "episodes" might be a result from rimidyl and I did report to the FDA and got a case # for their files. I'm inclined to think his cartilage is worn from the severe arthritis and perhaps making this happen to him when he has been on his side sleeping for so long. I'm getting comparative X-rays done to see what might have changed since last year.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

MrBearMom,
    I'm so sorry to hear of Mr. Bear's problems.
    I went through a period with Sebastian where his sleep movements were so erratic and involved so many muscles, that I feared he was having sleep seizures. We went to the vet, who, having not seen it herself, couldn't say for sure if he was having seizures, or was just a very active and spastic dreamer. I spent many a sleepless night reading up on sleep seizures.
    Granted, I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that if you can call Mr. Bear's name and wake him up when he's in the middle of an episode, it's not a seizure. You don't want to try to wake him up with touch, because you don't want to startle him and risk him injuring himself. Sometimes, I have to call Sebastian's name two or three times before he wakes up. He's usually pretty annoyed that I had the audacity to interrupt what I can only imagine was a pretty awesome dream.
    If he hasn't had a full blood panel in a while, I would ask the vet to do one when you take him in for his X-rays, just to make sure he doesn't have an electrolyte imbalance or vitamin/mineral deficiency. Those can happen even with the healthiest, most balanced diets.
    I hope Mr. Bear's issues have a simple solution, and that he is feeling MUCH better soon!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian