Young Dawg (Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Unhappy GP pup won't poop on leash

Hi everyone! We brought our girl GP home at the end of February so we have had her just a little over a month. She is just over 3 months old. She's a very sweet and loving girl. We have discovered, however, that she refuses to poop when we have her on leash. We were letting her out in the yard off leash, but we don't have a fence and she has decided the neighbor's house is part of her territory. Soooo, no more outside off leash. Well, now that she is constantly on the leash outside, she will pee but not poop.

For example, two different mornings, I took her out and walked her around for awhile, no poop. I let her in the house and within 15 minutes she had pooped and peed. She likes to go into my son's room and do it (the door won't latch good and she can push it open but then she can't get back out). She's also done it in my daughter's bedroom and once in the hallway when she couldn't get into any bedrooms.

So what am I doing wrong? She has a crate, but I hate putting her in there when we are home because she whines and carries on. I do work at home.... should I keep her next to me on her leash so she can't go off and go to the bathroom somewhere and then be sure to take her out a lot until she does it? Help! I'm tired of cleaning up poop piles that are only gonna get bigger!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Davey Benson`s Photos

I'd be mad if my great Pyrenees pooped on my leash!

Sorry, I read that and about rolled out of my chair laughing.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Jewel`s Photos

Are you using a long lead? If not then I would suggest a long lead of at least 10 ft. That way she can maybe feel she has more "privacy" to do #2. Inside, yes, having her leashed to you while inside would be a good option. She shouln't have the freedom to roam where she wants inside until she can reliably relieve herself outside on lead.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Oh, Davey, Sebastian has pooped on his leash several times. Ewwwwww.

Capfulwise, I definitely feel your pain. Sebastian was extremely difficult to house train. It took him a long time to realize that carpet and grass were NOT the same thing. Many bottles of enzymatic cleaner (Simple Green Bio Dog is the most effective brand I've found so far, and not as expensive as some of the other brands), and a Bissel carpet cleaner later, and he's finally been over a month accident-free (I hope I didn't just jinx that)! He would do the same thing that you describe: be outside for quite a while, then come inside to do his business. It earned him the nickname of "The Poop Fairy", for all of the magical "gifts" he would leave for me.
    One of the things that I found to be very helpful in combating this, was to restrict his access to the areas of our apartment that he liked to use as his personal potty. He liked to "go" upstairs, so I put up a baby gate prohibiting him from going upstairs to "go". He learned that if he needed to potty, he had to ask me and go outside.
    There are several articles I've read which have advocated keeping young puppies on a leash in the house when they are out of the crate. At three months old, your girl is still quite the toddler, so constant supervision is always a good thing.
    It's also very important to clean the accident spot thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner so she won't want to revisit the spot.
    Don't worry. You aren't doing anything wrong. Some pups are more difficult to house train than others.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

It's back to the beginning,you take control, you make the rules, everytime she has to go "outside" she is leashed, give her time & watch her actions, take her to where you would like her to "go". If she doesn't go, when she comes back in, she is confined, which means she is either in a controled area where you can see her or attached to you. She may get anxious again, then it's time for another potty break. Make sure you take her out after she eats, plays, wakes up from a nap or just appears to want to go outside.
    You will probably be taking her outside more than you will be getting anything else done.
    After a few outings of not eliminating (and she really has to go!) she will go...then it's big celebration!!
    At 3 months old, she has not earned the luxury of freedom...and unfortunately you have not gotten over the puppy potty training stage...it takes time, patience, time & patience, patience & time...and then one day you realize...they get it!!
    Let us know how it goes...

Young Dawg (Member)

Default Thanks all!

Wow, thanks everyone for the good advice! I'm going to take it, particularly the part about not giving her freedom of the house. She's had her leash on since she came in last night after another bout of running off (she got out the door on accident). Her leash is pretty long, not 10 ft but I think it's a 6 footer.

I "may" have figured it out this morning! Took her out first thing, she peed, no poop. Back in, she ate some dog food and I knew she should need to go poop. Back outside. She REALLY wanted to go back behind the house, she was whining and pulling, trying to go to a spot near the house that is bare. I should tell you that we live in Wisconsin and we still have A LOT of snow on the ground here, so it is not easy for me to walk around wherever I want in the yard. I took a chance and let go of the leash, and she immediatly went to a spot next the house and pooped!! It took me a couple minutes to get her back to me (in which my shoe came off and my foot was in the snow!). So I think now I am going to make sure I put my boots on when we go out and try to walk her around the back of the house where she obviously likes to go. If she still won't poop while on the leash (oh, BTW, during this excercise this morning she did actually poop ON the leash) I will try a longer lead.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lancelot's Avatar

Lancelot`s Photos

I have my dogs on a 16' flex leash when I want them to poo in the yard. They don't want to poo that close to me on a short 6' leash. And Davey, not possible to poo ON the flex leash because it's never on the ground.
    Last edited by Lancelot; 03-28-2013 at 06:44 AM. Reason: clarify
    [IMG]joans hom coming 130.JPG[/IMG]

Young Dawg (Member)

Thanks! I bought a 16 foot flex leash yesterday. She finally went poo while on it late last night right before bed. I think she was desperate to go by then, and it was under the cover of darkness! Today will be another day in the doggy potty training battle!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

You are doing great...she will figure out that the leash is okay, & she's got to do what she has to do while wearing it. When they "have" to go, they will.
    Sounds kind of tough, but better than an argument with neighbors or chasing a dog down the street at night in pj's!
    Thanks for the update...and keep up the good work. One day she will be a big girl & this will all be a memory to cherish...