Thread: Heat Cycle

Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Heat Cycle

OK guys...I'm really worried about my baby girl Mya. She had her first heat cycle in September(She had just turned a year old). That cycle seemed normal and after a few weeks, She was fine. We were planning on having her fixed but I read to wait until after her first cycle therefore, that was the plan. After the cycle, I called a few vets who wouldn't do her surgery until 2 months AFTER the cycle finished. Things came up and we didn't have the money...still planning on having her fixed. However, January 17th, She started bleeding again. This went on for a few days and then it seemed to quit however, our male pyr was after her for a month so we kept her inside until he laid off. By this time, It was mid February. Now 2 weeks ago, March 12, She started bleeding AGAIN! Now, 2 weeks later, 2 vet visits and a week of antibiotics later, the vet(who we have always used&everyone around here uses) has decided she is just having a heat cycle. At the first appt, there was a small infection which was the reason for the antibiotic....but at the second appt, he determined she was just having a heat cycle AGAIN...I guess I'm just wondering has anyone else had these problems? Also, How long has your experience been with a heat cycle in a Great Pyr? And trust me, once this gets all taken care of, she will be fixed, ASAP! Please help me out!

Jewel`s Photos

If she came into season in September, it would be normal for her to come in again in March - 6 months apart (on average bitches come into season twice a year). Don't know about the spotting in January, it could be simply irrgularity. It is not uncommon for some bitches to have irregular heats, that's not always an indication of something wrong, but it may be.

I am not sure you have a lot of options. Since you've already visisted the vet twice without any clear diagnosis, the only other thing left would be to do extensive tests which will likely be expensive. Or, you can watch her closely for any thing that may seem "off". Hopefully this is just irregularity and that you will be able to have her spayed a couple of months after her cycle is completed. Dealing with the heat cycle is not always the worst part. Some bitches go into false preganancy and I find that even harder to deal with.

Young Dawg (Member)

Thanks so much for the words of advice. I'm praying its irregularity...I made an appt for her to be spayed on Apr. 24. Hoping this has all passed over by then. Its so hard to leave her in the garage alone all the time. Hate her being in heat

Young Dawg (Member)

Default Day 14...

Also, I was wondering, any idea if Pyr have a longer bleeding time? I know its usually 1 week in, 7-10 days bleeding and 1 week going out. However, We are on Day 14 of her bleeding. The bleeding isn't as bad but its still very noticable. I thought maybe since they were bigger dogs, they may have bled longer? These two are the first Pyr, we have ever had, and although we would never go back to another type of dog, its still a learning process for us.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Espinay's Avatar

Espinay`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by jkmwbm View Post
    Also, I was wondering, any idea if Pyr have a longer bleeding time? I know its usually 1 week in, 7-10 days bleeding and 1 week going out. However, We are on Day 14 of her bleeding. The bleeding isn't as bad but its still very noticable. I thought maybe since they were bigger dogs, they may have bled longer? These two are the first Pyr, we have ever had, and although we would never go back to another type of dog, its still a learning process for us.
    Some dogs can cycle four months apart while some can cycle up to 12 months or more apart. It really is an individual thing, though sometimes you can get an idea from other bitches in the line. As she is young, you really don't have an established pattern yet, and is sounds like this second one may have been a 'split heat' (in that she may not have ovulated the first time she bled, so she has 'come in' again). The bleeding too can vary from bitch to bitch and in some bitches they may keep themselves so clean it is hard to notice much bleeding at all. Some may seem like they can't carry as much blood as they are leaving on your floors and furniture LOL! When a bitch ovulates can vary too. Some have been known to be ready to mate and have puppies from a mating as early as day 3 while others it may be day 28 or more. The reason waiting at least 2 months after a season is recommended is because this is when a bitches hormones are at a better level. the de***ing can be done at any time, though many vets are not used to doing bitches when in season so don't like to do that.
    Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs (Australia) - putting the Breed before breeding

www.espinay.com

Young Dawg (Member)

Thanks for the help. Anytime they cross paths, she attacks him like a crazy lady. She doesn't want anything to do with him so that's good. She stays in the garage tho but we have to switch them for her to potty, etc. hopefully this is over soon!!