Thread: Day 2

Young Dawg (Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

ABird`s Photos

Default Day 2

Hello all,

Well, Captain is now at home. He is starting to get used to our schedule, as best as he can. Our kids are learning - they are quite pushy at ages 4 and 6, but they love him. I am giving them responsibilities to give him his food bowl and vitamin, and watching him while I am in the shower. Since last night he has not pooped *everytime* we go out, so now I am trying to learn *when* he will have to poop. Currently, it's been about an hour since Breakfast - 2 times out with no poop. He's beat 'cause of playing with the kids, and some crate training while I made breakfast for myself. Hopefully we will have some movement when he wakes up. He still whines a bit at night - we are keeping him in our room, so we can take him out if needed. Last night we took him out 2 times. I am really tired, and don't have any specific questions, but if you have some feedback, I am ready for it! Thanks for hanging in there with me! Oh - we went to the vet yesterday. 13.9 lbs at 8 weeks. And he was an angel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caphomecoming.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	1228  

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Ummm, just one pic???

I've always been interested in hearing how people decide to pick one pup over another. Would you mind sharing with us how you made your decision?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

He is so cute! I can't wait to see more pictures of him.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

at 8 weeks he really doesn't have a "schedule" yet, and you'll not have much of one either...he'll just "go" whenever the need arises...that being said, it's outside everytime he wakes up, whines, gets finished eating and after he's played.....in other words almost every hour for awhile.
    Rudy was 20 pounds at 10 weeks old, he's now 40 pounds at 16 weeks.
    So take lots of photos, hug him & cuddle him all you can right now, 'cause he'll be growing quickly. But don't forget, evn tho he'll look like a big boy, he will still be a learning, chewing & mischievious puppy!

Jewel...sounds like another thread to start..."how did you choose your Pyr"??

Young Dawg (Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

ABird`s Photos

@Jewel - We are kind of a laid back family. My DH works a lot of hours as a mail carrier, and I work at home behind a computer. On nights and weekends, we clean and do stuff with the kids. We wanted to look for a puppy that would be our companion (sp?). Anyway - when we went to the "farm" (as we lovingly refer to it) where the breeders are, we met all the "adult" pyrs. We met the father and the mother who were very nice and loving. However, my husband really took to the g-pa of the pups (Mother's Father). He's a huge gp, and when we met him, all he wanted to do was give us attention and kisses. The Breeder said that she did not know any other GP's who give kisses like this particular GP. When we spent time with the puppies over 2 weekends, we found that Captain really liked our kids, and used "mothering" type actions with me ( would go behind me then inbetween my feet when I was standing), he would come when called, and - he gave kisses. He reminded us of how his g-pa acted around us.

BTW - yes - only one pic for now. More later.

NicksS.- Thanks for the info - knowing this is normal behavior helps me get through all of this new stuff!

Also - this puppy's gas is not to be taken lightly! Phew!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

The schedule was tough for me to figure out at first, too. Fortunately, it became much easier very quickly, until his medical issues came to light. If it makes you feel better, he was down to four potty breaks a day right before that started.
    Captain is such an adorable little snugglebear! I can't wait to see more pictures of him and hear all about his adventures!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) kimierose's Avatar

kimierose`s Photos

Welcome ABird and Captian what a beauty he reminds me of my Bella at that age with the coloring.Yes they grow very fast i have 100's of pic's of Bella thro the months. she will be 11 months old the 5th of Feb weighs 95 pounds and is 29 inches tall Doesnt look like a pup but still acts like one at times

Old Dawg (Senior Member) MiyasMomma's Avatar

MiyasMomma`s Photos

Default Day 2

ABird,
    So happy you have your baby! So beautiful!

Miya was 4 months the 27th and weighs 37lbs. She's alittle behind because we found out she had parasites after we got her to the vet. Once she finished the meds, she took off and is putting on about 2-3lbs a week.

My advice is read this forum! Want to know what your puppy will do, find the puppies that are a couple months older than yours and you'll have puppy buddies. The older dog Moms & Dads are great for problems that come up or questions. There are several I really appreciate and follow.

Best piece of advice I've seen, don't teach them to do anything you can't picture them doing at 100lbs!!! It's cute while their little but they start getting big fast!! Have a blast!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) MiyasMomma's Avatar

MiyasMomma`s Photos

Jewel,
    I'll tell you how we picked our two. With Gabe, we were Golden people and wanted to rescue a golden. The people were telling us about them and we came to Gabe, they said he was difficult at times, loved to choose dog friends and was abused/neglected. He was huge, not the size of a golden, I went in his pen, he sat down and looked me straight in the eyes with loving but sad gaze. I knew he was the one. It took my husband another week of "thinking" about it and me not talking to him, to come back and get him.

With Miya, I wanted a girl, the breeder only had two, I thought with Gabe as strong a Pyr personality the girl would be best. We went to look at the litter and Miya had the sweetest face and eyes.

So I'm a sucker for a sweet face and I think they talk to my heart. I haven't made a bad decision yet. :-)