Old Dawg (Senior Member) paulewog's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Potty training an outside Pyrenees

I probably simply expect too much in 3 days But I was wondering if anyone had successfully gotten their Pyr to go potty in a specific spot in the yard. We have an acre, and there's one corner that we would prefer, if at all possible. Right now, it's kinda haphazard ... has been close to the house on our tiny little lawn, has been on top of wood chips right next to the house as well, and has been about 3 times where we want him to go.

I'm not sure how exactly to go about it though. I understand crate training for an inside dog... Benaiah really doesn't like enclosed places, though (not even our garage or his roughly 10 foot diameter round pen type thing we have him in now).

We have a hard time telling when he has to go, too, which isn't helpful. He's about 3 months, so maybe he's still a bit young? Or too old?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Maggie's mom's Avatar

Maggie's mom`s Photos

If you consistently take him out on lead to the particular spot where you want him to go, he will eventually "get it". Mind you, puppy's bladders can only hold so much and wait so long, so if he has to walk a long way to get to his spot, he may not be able to make it at first. It may help to scoop up some of the wood chips where he has peed before and re-locate them to your desired spot. Puppies tend to go where they can smell their scent. Always lavish praise when he goes outside...and give an abundant amount of praise when he goes where you want! I am always so happy when they pee outside instead of my area rugs inside, I make a fool of myself praising them.
    As far as being able to tell when a puppy needs to go, sometimes, you just have to anticipate: They need to go when they wake up, they need to go around 15-20 minutes after they eat, they need to go after they play. If he suddenly loses interest in play and starts sniffing around, rush him outside to pee. It helps to have a special word that they associate with doing their "business" (I repeat "go potty" over-and-over until they go.) Puppies also get easily distracted, so you may need to keep re-focusing him on what he's out there to do, and give him plenty of time to finish. (My boys always needed to pee twice.) A good indicator of how often he should need to go out is his age in months + 2 (so every 5 hrs for a 3 month old pup.) I'd take him out every hour or so for now until he gets the idea of doing his business outside.
    Good luck!

Jewel`s Photos

Yes, you can train a dog to go in a specific spot. But it takes a lot more work. You need to take him to the spot on leash, use the potty command and wait until he does. He doesn't get to leave the spot until he's done his business. Prepare to do that for weeks if not a month or two to make sure the habit is firmly established.

One thought I have is that dogs mark their territory with scent. If you want Benaiah to guard his various livestock charges against predators, it would be quite natural for him to mark the perimeter of the property to let predators know that the territory belongs to him.

As far as Benaiah's dislike for confinement, it is natural for puppies to not like confinement particularly if you are leaving him by himself. They naturally want to be part of the family/pack. So that's not a stubborn thing or breed trait, it's pretty normal. If you want him to stay in an enclosure, he just has to learn, it's not an option - it's like crate training inside the house.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lancelot's Avatar

Lancelot`s Photos

Lance burns my lawn with his urine so I trained him to only pee under the tree in the side yard where there is no grass. I don't care where he poops because I always pick it up immediately. Mind you, he is always on a leash because my yard is not fenced.

He has never once indicated to me that he has to go out. He just waits for me to decide it's time. My Mini Schnauser will go to the door and stare at me when she has to go so after I take her out I then take Lance out. Neither dog ever has accidents in the house accept the occasional runs which can't be helped if I'm not home.
    [IMG]joans hom coming 130.JPG[/IMG]

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mstricer's Avatar

I do the same with Zoe, take her to the woods and say go pee, and usually she does. Same with the pooping. Its out on our wooded lot.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) paulewog's Avatar

Well, we're catching it better and getting him to the general spot we'd like more often. He tends to have to go, right now anyways, just a little bit after he eats, 5-10 minutes.

We have heard about something to do with putting a pad (potty pad! ha) so there's some sort of visual marker, has anyone down that outside/does it help?