Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) paulewog's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New Pyr puppy questions

Hello all!

Well, my wife and I are totally new to Pyrenees and actually have never had a dog before, either. We got a puppy, Benaiah, that from two working dogs on a beef cow and meat goat farm/ranch. The puppy is very calm, friendly, shows absolutely no aggression, etc. He is about 11 weeks old and I would guess around 30lbs.

I had a few general questions, I guess, about behavior... of course, being the first one, we are worried that things we aren't used to mean "something is wrong!!!!"

He is a slow eater. He eats a little, sits/lays down, then eats some more, etc. I'm not sure exactly how much he is eating each time, but I'd guess about a cup. Also, he does not seem super interested in food, which does make it hard to have positive reinforcement aside from love and affection and petting and making a big deal about it. Which we do.

He seems to prefer to basically sit or lay down all day. We are trying to leash train him, though we will have goats soon (Nigerian Dwarf) and already have chickens (and cats) ... and foxes, bobcats, skunks, raccoon, deer, mountain lions, etc., hence the LGD part! Anyways, he seems to act normally on the leash - a bit stubborn, just decides to sit or lay down if he doesn't want to follow, etc. I guess it's normal, though, to be quite lazy at this stage in his development?

He does have a bit of pink in the white of his eye and a small amount of discharge from the corner. I've read this can happen and can cause discoloration of the hair, but is there something to watch for as far as illness? He doesn't seem to act particularly sick...

I guess that is about it. Mostly we are wondering about the lack of activity. From what I've read, sleeping 18 or so hours is pretty common... basically eat, sleep, and go.

Thank you! And, of course, any advice for new Pyr owners is helpful. We love him, so far!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome paulewog & Benaiah!!
    sounds like you have a real LGD in the making....all the classic signs, already independent, stubborn & watchful.
    There is a great book that you might want to get...Livestock Protection Dogs by Orysia Dawydiak & David Sims
    She is very knowledgable....& invites questions for her readers.
    If you haven't already, I would get him checked out by a vet, make sure he has had all of his first, & by now second round of puppy shots.
    Depending on the type of eye discharge he has, it may be nothing or something to have looked at...not being able to see him, & not being a vet, I can't say for sure. But it wouldn't hurt to get it looked at.
    Our male, Nick, was a very slow & social boy. Slept quite a lot & was generally a very calm boy. Some Pyr's are not food motivated & some are very picky eaters.
    Keep us informed on you & your boy.....look forward to some photos of this handsome guy!!

Nancy & Holly

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Everything you described sounds pretty much normal for a Pyr pup, but, without watching him day to day it is just that "sounds normal". Welcome to being owned by a Pyr. As a breed these guys really aren't that food motivated, comes from having a slow metabolism, and most but not all are pretty good a self regulating food consumption.

Pics Pics and more Pics
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Smile thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome

I had one other question that I forgot - he seems to breathe rather quickly a lot of times (e.g., while sleeping). When we first took him home, he basically breathed rapidly the entire time. So far, we're tacking it down to anxiety. He seems *much* happier outside, too (we had him in the kitchen the first night since it was late at night and we didn't have everything quite ready).

We plan on getting him checked out by a vet, but haven't yet (haven't even had him for 24hrs yet!). He has had his first round of shots, but not second yet.

We're actually pleased that, inexperienced as we are, he's gotten much better at being walked around on a leash (he had not worn a collar or leash before) and somewhat learning to sit. "Come" is a bit iffy at the moment, ha.

In addition to the attached image, here's a Picasa album of some pictures we took this morning... enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00004_smaller.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	1126  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) robinandoso's Avatar

robinandoso`s Photos

He's so cute!!!!

Welcome!

My Oso was a very mellow and sedate little puppy most of the time. If got his 30 minute blocks of play and walk time twice a day, he was so mellow the rest of the time. I was worried at first, too. But also really grateful!

I've also noticed that Oso breathes faster than I would think is normal fairly often, but the vet keeps assuring me it's normal. It sounds like you're getting his first check-up soon, so that will tell you a lot more than I ever could.

As Chicag0_red stated, Pyrs aren't generally food motivated. Oso is slow at eating his food, but he will do just about anything for a bit of boiled egg, chicken, or venison. Little sardines in a can are like the super-jackpot. We only used those for teaching the "Come!" command, because we wanted him to associate coming with the most awesome-awesomeness imaginable. It worked. He's great at that command now. Who knows, you might find that your baby really likes a particular food. If you do, use it to your advantage as a training reward and not as an everyday food.

Have fun with your beautiful new friend!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) kimierose's Avatar

kimierose`s Photos

Welcome Paluewog and Beaniah You have a very handsome fellow there he sounds like your normal Pyr my Bella is 6 months never been food motivated. I also noticed you live in sunny Ca When its hot Bella is least active all Pyrs are but now that the days and nights are getting cooler she has more energy.Bella has never been a big eater for her size she weighs roughly 85 + and eats around 6 to 7 cups of food a day. Your boy sounds like he is fitting in well it took Bella around a week to get used to us and the house all the new things in her new home. Her parents were LGD dogs Bella was born in a chicken pin and stayed there her first 7 weeks of life.When you take him to the vet for his next round of shots ask the vet to take a look at his eye.Most Pyrs are super laid back babies training is a whole different issue Bella is still in training and probally will be the rest of her life. Welcome to being owned by a Pyr

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lancelot's Avatar

Lancelot`s Photos

Hello Paul and Benaiah and welcome aboard. Sounds like you have a pretty typical pyr. Picky eater and low to no energy level. Since he is due for his second round of shots, I would have the vet check his eyes. Might just be an allergy which a few drops of medication will take care of. Lance also has a rapid breathing pattern when at rest. If you can find a high value treat for training you'll find he will respond. I use raw hot dogs. Just a tiny piece at a time. He sure is a handsom little guy.
    [IMG]joans hom coming 130.JPG[/IMG]

Default thanks all!

Thanks everyone. My name is Paul, I usually go by that and not paulewog, hehe

I'm glad it's not just Benaiah that breathes fast! And yes, he is cute/handsome. And, actually, learning pretty well! He's walking on a leash well and his bouts of "I don't want to" refusals are a lot shorter and less dramatic, which I suppose is a good thing. A few head tosses or sitting down ... but then he comes along.

Now if only we can get all three of our cats to like him...

Benaiah does have diarrhea, can Pyrs/dogs get that from simply switching food? It's not super bad, happened twice in the last two days and it happens right after a normal stool.

Jewel`s Photos

Hi Paul, yep, changing food can definitely (and often) cause the dog to have the runs. That's why it's usually recommended to switch food slowly, over a course of days.

While pyrs are generally considered lower energy dogs, a pup should still have several short periods of energetic play each day. But as your pup is still brand new to his new home, it may take a couple of days for the pup to get acclimated and feel comfortable enough to be himself. When you take him to the vet, ask the vet to do a good check over of his hips and joints.

It is not unusual for a pyr to be a picking eater. Some pyrs really aren't that interested in food no matter what kind, but for others it's because it doesn't like the particular food it's offered. Some owners have found they have to switch foods periodically to keep the pyr interested in eating. You do want to keep a pup leaner rather than chunky. It is much easier on their rapidly growing bones and joints not to carry extra weight. Bigger in most cases is not better as far as giant breed dogs are concerned.

Default 3 days...

Jewel - so far he's been far less picky than our cats, ha. He's eating more normally now, and last time he went he didn't have diarrhea, yay. We will definitely have the vet look over him and especially his joints...

He appears to have gotten used to the surroundings a bit. He does not like yellow jackets, I think he barks at them, hehe. He's beginning to really want to play. I'm actually not sure *how* to play with him, any suggestions? He's sometimes excited about walking around our property, and sometimes not so much. He definitely has a stubborn streak, especially when on a leash.