Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Default Fleas and Ticks on Puppies

I have a 5 month old male Pyr. Unfortunately, most of the good flea medications have an admonition to not use on puppies less than six months old. I have used powder on him (that is acceptable for 3+ months), but it seems to be minimally effective.

This Summer, Ohio seems to be worse than usual for fleas and I'd like to get ahead of things and stay ahead.

What treatments can I use on a puppy that is less than 6 months old?

Jewel`s Photos

I just looked at the package of Advantage II that I have, it says not to use for pups under 7 weeks. So that would be fine for a 5 month old. I think Frontline too is for 7 weeks and over.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

I have had Missy on Advantage II since she was 9 weeks old. Most spot on flea treatments like Advantage, Frontline and Fiproguard are safe for puppies as young as 7 weeks old. Now things like Frontline Plus, K9 Advantix II and Fiproguard Plus can only be used on dogs 12 weeks or older.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) kimierose's Avatar
      kimierose`s Photos

The first time I took Bella to the vet they gave me AdvantageII for her at 8 weeks. This is what I use it also goes by weight. She has done fine with it. When I had my lil Teripoo Spike I couldnt afford the advantage II so I bought a cheap one at walmart I will never do that again, it almost killed him within 10 min's of putting it on him he was foaming at the mouth and having problems breathing grabed him up and washed all I could off him and took him to the vet, he told me if I hadnt washed it off him he would probally died that tought me a lesson I never bought the cheap stuff again.

Puppy (New Member)

Default Thanks!

I thank you and Finn will be grateful as well!

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

I am not sure about the age / weight restrictions but Capstar works wonders for the initial knockdown on a flea infestation. We use it on fosters that come in infested with fleas with great success. As with everything else "Your Mileage May Vary" and always consult your vet first before giving new meds.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mstricer's Avatar

We are in Ohio also and have not had a problem with either. My pyr is 5 1/2 we use trifexis, it is a one month tablet, it is for heartworm, fleas ticks hook worms round worms and mosquitos. It kills fleas in 30 mins. It cost 19.50 well worth it.

Puppy (New Member)

I probably won't forget the time (1997ish) when my mom put a reduced dog dose of the Walmart stuff on the cat. 5 days in the vet hospital, 3 1/2 of them under sedation with an IV flushing her kidneys. She did make a full recovery (so did mom). Soon after that incident, the manufacturers started putting the "no cats allowed" graphic on the packaging.

Not only was the Walmart stuff useless on the dog, but it almost killed the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by kimierose View Post
    The first time I took Bella to the vet they gave me AdvantageII for her at 8 weeks. This is what I use it also goes by weight. She has done fine with it. When I had my lil Teripoo Spike I couldnt afford the advantage II so I bought a cheap one at walmart I will never do that again, it almost killed him within 10 min's of putting it on him he was foaming at the mouth and having problems breathing grabed him up and washed all I could off him and took him to the vet, he told me if I hadnt washed it off him he would probally died that tought me a lesson I never bought the cheap stuff again.

Puppy (New Member)

Default Frontline Plus , et al

Our local feed store carries Frontline Plus, so that's what the wife bought. We administered it last night. It might be wishful thinking, but he serms to interrupt his favorite activities (eating, sleeping and being petted) less already.

By the way, the people on this board are nicer than the people on the motorcycle board I use and not snobby, like the people on the wristwatch board. Thank you again.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mstricer's Avatar

Frontline doesn't work. They haven't changed the ingredients in over 10 years. For the money, once again go to the vets and get the Trifexis, even though it costs a pretty penny, in the long run it will save you money, in all the stuff you use. This stuff kills fleas in 30 minutes.