Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Quote Originally Posted by miha engblom View Post
    Nanna was also from a barn, but somehow not really covered in the nice mixture, at least not when we bought her. I did not crate or anything and did not limit water and food in the night, but I watched her all the time, and when I saw that she started to walk around I assumed that she is searching for a place to do her stuff, then I grabbed really fast and ran out to the potty area out. I noticed that if she would walk by herself she could do it before we got to the area I wanted her to do. Maybe you and your husband can take turns into watching her, when you guys are at home.
    My husband would gladly help me watch Kimber, except he's blind, so that really isn't an option. We're both working with her on the house training, but since a lot of it depends upon picking up on visual cues (she isn't vocally letting us know yet that she needs out, and while she paws on the door to go back IN she hasn't figured out that she should do that to go OUT), this part's falling more into my domain than his. So it's hard for me to watch her ALL the time, especially when I'm cooking supper, doing dishes or laundry, and when I'm walking Tiny (she hasn't had her second round of shots yet, so her outdoor activities are limited to the backyard right now).

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

is the back yard fenced in? and is a pet door out of the question?

That might make things easier, it sure works nicely for me, especially this summer with the rediculous temperatures, I can let my pyrs have the run of my back yard and the air conditioned building as well.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Young Dawg (Member)

TexasKat, it's funny, because Kimber's a little monkey-see-monkey-do when it comes to Tiny. Whatever he does, she copies, especially outside. If he walks the fence, she walks the fence. He drank out of the wheelbarrow the other day, so she had to find a way to do it, too (and got really dirty in the process). Yesterday he peed, so she peed, too. And then he pooped, and she decided to try to get under him to see what he was doing. *sigh* At least he didn't poop ON her. THAT would have been messy (but admittedly a little funny).

We're trying the x-pen with a combo of crate training...basically, making sure she's used to the crate and knows it's her space and is comfortable in it, but also trying to get her out of the habit of thinking it's ok to be covered in poop and pee. At first she didn't seem to "get" the puppy pads, but this morning it finally clicked while I was upstairs getting ready for work. She peed on those...and then pooped right beside one of them. The good news, though, was that she hadn't stepped in it or laid in it, and was chilling out on the other side of the pen, so she obviously doesn't necessarily WANT to be in it, I think she's just indifferent to it.

Thanks for the tip about growth rates. Tiny was severely malnourished when we adopted him (someone had left him tied to a phone poll in front of the Elgin Humane Society and you could literally see and count his ribs), but put on weight pretty quickly. Even underfed he was still at around 50 pounds, IIRC, and somewhere between 6 and 12 months old (probably closer to 10-ish, we think). We've read a lot about how big Pyr pups should be, and according to what we read Kimber's a little on the small side, but with 11 pups in one litter, I'm not surprised. Her mama was small, too, so we're not sure how big she's going to get, but knowing that growth rates can vary helps ease the mind a little bit. We know she's healthy, and that's all that matters.

Young Dawg (Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Benson View Post
    is the back yard fenced in? and is a pet door out of the question?

That might make things easier, it sure works nicely for me, especially this summer with the rediculous temperatures, I can let my pyrs have the run of my back yard and the air conditioned building as well.
    Davey, yes, the backyard is fenced in, and a good size, too. We're not sure how we would install a pet door, to be honest, since our backdoor is a sliding glass one. I know they make some that install into the house itself, but then that begs the question, "What does that do to electricity costs?"

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

OUr backdoor is glass as well, so no chance we can put a doggie door in.

You might consider the bells thing. Get some jingle bells from a hobby store (like Michaels or Hobby Lobby) and tie several to strings that you can hang from the sliding glass door handle at her eye level. Spend a few minutes each time before you go out and have her practice using them. That is, every time you take her out to potty (non-emergency times, anyway) see if you can get her to touch them so that they make a noise before you open the door. Then when she touches them and they ring, praise her, give her a pencil eraser-sized treat and open the door. As she learns to ring the bell to go out, decrease the number of times you give her a treat, then eventually, you'll not need to give her a treat at all for ringing the bells.

Once she learns this 'living skill' she might drive you crazy with it for a little while, but that will pass as well.

What you teach her as a little pup will be a lifelong skill for her.

We're in SW Austin, BTW.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Maggie's mom's Avatar

Maggie's mom`s Photos

I taught Maggie to ring the bell to go out fairly easily using the "touch" command. I teach all my guys to "touch" as one of their first "tricks" by smearing a little peanut butter on the palm of my hand, hold my hand in front of their face...when they sniff your palm, label it "touch" (GOOD touch!!) When they touch reliably (move your hand around so it's not always right in front of their nose), you can then move to the door bells by doing the same thing...smear a little pb on the bell and say "touch". When they sniff/touch the bell and it rings, say, "GOOD touch!",open the door to let them out. Every time you take her out, try to get her to touch the bell first. It doesn't take long for them to catch on that ringing the bell means they go outside to potty. Some have said that their pups will ring the bell just to go out and play, not just to potty. That really doesn't bother me because my guys always pee first thing when they go out anyway, so mission accomplished!

I'm glad Kimber caught onto the x-pen and potty pads quickly. I really don't think pups *want* to be soiled (at least not in their own excrement)...but if they can't get away from it, they sometimes have no choice. I think she'll catch on quickly that peeing/pooing in her crate is not a good thing.

TexasKat`s Photos

Great suggestions and a terrific training process, Maggie's Mom!

Young Dawg (Member)

Thanks for the tip on teaching them how to ring the bells, Maggie's Mom! Peanut butter is always an effective treat, it seems, and Kimber is very food motivated (is there a dog that isn't?). And I agree--I don't think they want to be filthy, but if they're used to it and have no choice...

TexasKat, we're in south Austin.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by tandemchick View Post
    Kimber is very food motivated (is there a dog that isn't?).
    HA! You are not very familiar with the breed (yet), are ya?! Quite a few pyrs are truly not food motivated... ask TK for starters

TexasKat`s Photos

Oh dear! Oh my yes, more than a few Pyrs turn up their noses at even the tastiest treats!

Mine prefer their ribeye or other prime cuts of beef (well, they get steak leftovers) grilled to 'medium rare'. (Won't eat raw, won't eat well-done). Won't eat 'pan-fried' at all and only broiled very so often. Even then, they have to sniff it (at length) to decide whether they are interested (or not). Actually, sometimes it's NOT.

PB? Liked it when they were puppies -- won't touch it now.

Shady Hollow (south of Brodie @ Slaughter)