Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) mstricer's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

I live in the country, the 3 mile walk is our block. We live around mostly Amish, which mostly are too busy this time of the year to socialize. I will be listening to everyone and just walk to the shortest corner with her and work more on commands in the yard with her. I don't want to hurt her just give her some exercise. But maybe working the mind is better right?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) miha engblom's Avatar

Nanna never really runs freely, she is just sleeping somewhere or laying on our porch,she is not interested to check up new areas... I walker her a few km every other day or maybe not even that , otherwise she would never get any exercise execpt for when she is chasing the kids witch is a no-no...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Espinay's Avatar

Espinay`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by miha engblom View Post
    Nanna never really runs freely, she is just sleeping somewhere or laying on our porch,she is not interested to check up new areas... I walker her a few km every other day or maybe not even that , otherwise she would never get any exercise execpt for when she is chasing the kids witch is a no-no...
    I strongly suggest you don't walk her a few km. That she is self limiting her exercise is perfectly fine (and it is possible she may need to if she is sore from the walking...). When we say 'free running' it means the ability to play when they want and stop when they want. Puppies generally move in short bursts, not constant motion. That she is sleeping means she doesn't have a need to exercise more. If she generally moves when chasing the kids though perhps she needs YOU to do some interactive play with her, shaking a toy and moving with her in the yard. MUCH better that you exercise her that way than take her for walks!
    Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs (Australia) - putting the Breed before breeding

www.espinay.com

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Espinay's Avatar

Espinay`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by mstricer View Post
    I live in the country, the 3 mile walk is our block. We live around mostly Amish, which mostly are too busy this time of the year to socialize. I will be listening to everyone and just walk to the shortest corner with her and work more on commands in the yard with her. I don't want to hurt her just give her some exercise. But maybe working the mind is better right?
    Yes the mind needs exercising just as much if not more than the body. It is not so necessary that she meets heaps of people as such though, as sees new things and places. A carriage going by, sitting at the shops and seeing people and vehicles come and go, riding in the car, looking at a sheep or cow or horse, going to the vets to be weighed and get a treat (not just for vet visits), going for a ride to the feed store, visiting a petsmart or similar if you have one, going to the local park and watching kids play sports, going to a local craft market etc. Even if you aim for one 'trip'/new experience a week. Plus doing things like teaching sit, drop, come etc etc at home and playing with her in the yard, perhaps with a toy (remember too that toys are more fun if they only get given them for set periods, not all the time) . Plus regular grooming sessions (at least once a week) to get them used to being brushed, being handled all over and having nails done (with puppies I trim nails every week even if it is a tiny amount so they get used to having them done).
    Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs (Australia) - putting the Breed before breeding

www.espinay.com

Old Dawg (Senior Member) miha engblom's Avatar

I really think Nanna could be a lot more active then what she is because before we moved she was playing sometimes with a 6years old labrador, and that dog was getting completely tired and drooly (Nanna was always chasing the lab) and when she has been meeting other dogs she got suddenly tons of enery , she could just chase and chase them, but when she is playing with the kids she trys to get grip on them, they start to scream etc... (she is slowly loosing interest in them I think...)
    anyway the point was that she is definitely interested to run even run a lot if she has another dog to chase.