Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: collars/leads?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

I personally don't see a problem with a prong if it is used properly but, too each their own.

Miha don't feel bad Missy was like that too for a long time. She would walk great with my roommate and then go into pain the butt mode for me. What I did to stop that was I cut him off. He was no longer allowed to walk her and so she had to get use to me. Now she walks great for everyone. Most of the time I don't even have to hold her leash because, she will stay by my side.

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Miha, I use the Gentle Leader with my two. I started Bijou on that when she was about 5 or 6 months old. Bro was about 6 yrs-old when I put it on him for the first time. Bro fought it for a while, but never gone crazy fighting. But some dogs just have a real issue with the GL so it's not for every dog.

There are a couple of things that you can do to work with Nanna. One way to work with her is to stop dead every time she pulled to the end of her leash. You just stand there until she learns to walk back to you. Once she loosens the leash on her own, then the walk can continue. This method can be VERY time consuming and it takes A LOT of patience if your have a dog that is more compulsive like Bijou. But it does work if you have the patience will power to stick with it. The key to this is NOT to get frustrated with the dog and just keep standing your ground. You may not go very far at all for a while but for the dog to learn loose leash walking it's a great thing.

The other method I employ is to use the martingale and pull it high up on the dog's neck, right under the chin. If the dog pulls on the leash, it chokes off its airway and it won't pull much longer. Sometimes with a puppy, it's a matter of getting the excitement down a notch and the pup actually does much better once it's not overwhelmed with excitement. So you might only have to keep the leash up only for a little while and then when the dog is not so excited, you can let the leash slip down to the regular place and the dog will walk more politely next to you.