Thread: Blowing coat?

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Blowing coat?

Our Great pyr just turned a year old and seems to be loosing a lot of hair. It is more on his back side now and after a good brushing his torso hair is just short but still there and no bald spots. His bushy hair on his back legs are gone and the base of his tail. I am worried because those spots look irritated. But he did have fleas which we have been treating him for. I am afraid to do another treatment with his hair and skin like that. Is it possible it's just normal shedding or the heat causing problems.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Aj1008 View Post
    Our Great pyr just turned a year old and seems to be loosing a lot of hair. It is more on his back side now and after a good brushing his torso hair is just short but still there and no bald spots. His bushy hair on his back legs are gone and the base of his tail. I am worried because those spots look irritated. But he did have fleas which we have been treating him for. I am afraid to do another treatment with his hair and skin like that. Is it possible it's just normal shedding or the heat causing problems.
    Depending on how long you have had the pyr, you may never have seen a true coat blow. Mine first really turned loose of their underwear at about a year old.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Puppy (New Member)

We have had him since 8 weeks. He lost his puppy hair last fall/winter, I have never seen him blow his coat. Does the long hair come back in the fall when its colder? Or does it come back quicker than that?

P.S. Love the groucho quote!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

When a Pyr "blows his coat" he loses the thick fluffy undercoat and it is replaced (for a few months) by a shorter, less dense undercoat for the warmer months. Then when the days begin getting shorter/cooler he'll replace that shorter undercoat with the longer denser one. The 2nd replacement in the cycle isn't always all that noticeable-- certainly not like the major coat blow.

A Pyr with a normal coat will never have bald spots -- those would be from fleas or allergies or other reasons.

The Pyr's outer coat (the longer,coarser hair) does not 'blow'. They will shed hairs just like any other dog--a few (or several) at a time. Their outer coat hairs don't grow and regrow as fast or the same way as their undercoat fur does. That's why shaving a Pyr is not such a good idea. Outer coat hair that has been cut has to be shed before it can be replaced and that may take 2 years. Under coat hair gets replaced twice a year -- once with a longer, denser coat... and later with lighter, less dense hair.

On edit: In the summer months,with the major coat blow, they can lose a lot of their 'feathers' and some of their 'pantaloon' hair as well. Scout's harness (which is 'tight' in the winter) has several inches of slack around his chest after he's blown his coat.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

This year when my female blew.... it was such an extream experience (should have gave me a clue on how the weather was going to become) that I could see right through the course outer coat, right through the thin whispy inner coat right down to her light pink spotted skin. I've never seen her hair so thin, like she had been receiving chemo treatments or something. It has since filled out and covered her skin back over but not with the volume she had earlier this spring.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lou Lou's Avatar

Lou Lou`s Photos

Isn't it really common for the first "real" coat blow to coincide with a seasonal change at about the age of 1yr?

I remember Ralph's coat thickening the first fall we had him, but comparing it to his coat now it was still very much a puppy coat with much shorter hair.

It wasn't until the following spring when he was about a year old that we saw his first real blow and were completely astounded by it.

Also, I'm not going to lie. Right now I still pull a grocery bag stuffed absolutely FULL of hair out of Ralph twice a week and you would NEVER know by looking at him... Part of the reason I think he's so low energy compared to other dogs is that he expends sooo much energy simply growing endless supplies of hair.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Scout lost his puppy coat and had his first coat blow about the same time (late summer when he was about a year old). He looked very odd for a while. For about a month he had almost no undercoat at all. He seemed almost embarrassed to go out in public.