Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default What to feed puppy and how much?

I know other have asked similar questions but I would like to ask again.

In my other post I said I am getting a GP pup on saturday that is 9 weeks old.
    Currently she is being fed "puppy food from TSC" (not sure what).
    Breeder said they seem hungry yet so during the day they get fed goats milk (4% butterfat) and raw eggs and at times a can of dog food.
    Sounds like they get free choice dry food during the evening/night, but not sure.

I want to feed good feed,as I do with my goats and other animals.
    I don't like the fillers and colorings and if I won't eat it my animals sure won't.

So my choices are narrowed down to-

1-Diamond® Naturals™ Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice Formula, 40 lb. Bag $35.95
    2-Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed Dog Food, 33 lb. $29.99
    3- 4health™ Puppy Formula, 35 lb. Bag $24.99

Which is a better value?
    I went through many of them to see which had meat as the main/first ingredient then checked for fillers and colors.

Obviously Taste of the wild would be by far the best feed but its so expensive. Like $46 a bag. Not sure if I can afford it.
    With good quality feed how much less would she eat?

I heard she would need 2 cups X 3 feedings a day. That is a lot of dog food.
    That would be 2-3 lbs per day right? At least 2 40lbs bags per months...which sounds expensive. Like $60-$80 a month?
    I can afford it, just right now I am only working part time.
    Didn't figure it would cost so much but ready to do it

Right now I bought a couple 6lbs bags from a local store (forget the brand) that was cheap. Wasn't looking for cheap..just somthing that had meat first.
    Need to get better feed when I can get to TSC next, about 45mins away. I don't get over that way often. Just 2 times a month for goat and poultry feed at the mill.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) samantha63's Avatar

I feed taste of the wild, and i love it. i feed it to two giant breed dogs (dane and a pyr) and we go through about two bags a month. here its $50 per bag, but in my opinion its totally worth it because i know i am feeding a good healthy food.

if thats too expensive for you, out of the three choices you listed the only one that i myself would even consider is the diamond naturals. some other foods you may want to consider, nutrisource, blue buffalo, kirkland brand from costco, skoki, and there are others i just dont remember them off of the top of my head.

with a better food, my pyr pup eats about 2-3 cups less a day. her skin and coat are fabulous, and her stools are firm and a lot smaller!!

Sam, mom to Romeo (Great Dane), Chadwick (Aussie mix) and Kaiah (Great Pyr)

Young Dawg (Member)

Quote Originally Posted by samantha63 View Post
    I feed taste of the wild, and i love it. i feed it to two giant breed dogs (dane and a pyr) and we go through about two bags a month. here its $50 per bag, but in my opinion its totally worth it because i know i am feeding a good healthy food.

if thats too expensive for you, out of the three choices you listed the only one that i myself would even consider is the diamond naturals. some other foods you may want to consider, nutrisource, blue buffalo, kirkland brand from costco, skoki, and there are others i just dont remember them off of the top of my head.

with a better food, my pyr pup eats about 2-3 cups less a day. her skin and coat are fabulous, and her stools are firm and a lot smaller!!
    Wow, thats for the dane and pyr pup. That sounds like the better deal.
    I meant to put Blue buffalo in there as well, but apparently I didnt.
    So you think maybe 3-4 cups a day on the taste of the wild feed?
    How do I know if I need to feed more?

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

BC19`s Photos

We had Siege on Diamond naturals for awhile but lately he has started turning his nose up at it, so we are trying Avoderm right now. I was happy with my pyr on Diamonds, but sometimes they get a mind of their own lol. There are a few on here that have a rotation of foods they use, and it looks like I may have to do something similar if Siege keeps this up. I don't know if you will need to feed 6 cups at her current age with any of those listed, but when she gets to her big growth spurt she will more then likely go through that much around 4 months or so. Siege went through 6 cups a day, and could have eaten more but I cut him off after 6 cups during his 4-5 month growth spurt. Now at 6 months he is down to 4-5 cups a day, most of the time right at 4 but he also gets a turkey neck, chicken leg, or something along those lines for his dinner.

I think there are 3-4 cups per lb of dry dog food, so you might not go through as much as you think. With Avoderm its $40something for right at a 30 lb bag and that lasts him just about all month.

Young Dawg (Member)

Quote Originally Posted by BC19 View Post
    We had Siege on Diamond naturals for awhile but lately he has started turning his nose up at it, so we are trying Avoderm right now. I was happy with my pyr on Diamonds, but sometimes they get a mind of their own lol. There are a few on here that have a rotation of foods they use, and it looks like I may have to do something similar if Siege keeps this up. I don't know if you will need to feed 6 cups at her current age with any of those listed, but when she gets to her big growth spurt she will more then likely go through that much around 4 months or so. Siege went through 6 cups a day, and could have eaten more but I cut him off after 6 cups during his 4-5 month growth spurt. Now at 6 months he is down to 4-5 cups a day, most of the time right at 4 but he also gets a turkey neck, chicken leg, or something along those lines for his dinner.

I think there are 3-4 cups per lb of dry dog food, so you might not go through as much as you think. With Avoderm its $40something for right at a 30 lb bag and that lasts him just about all month.
    Now that is some good news. I heard 2-3 cups to a pound. That would be going through feed fairly quickly.
    My pup would also get meat scraps..when available. My uncle has a recipe for rice/barley and meat that he cooks up for his golden retriever (big dog) and he goes through less dry food that way. He says it is healthier for them.
    Only thing I would be worried about if not knowing how much protein/fat she is getting with one of those meals.

Maybe I will also keep giving her the goats milk about once a day with the raw eggs. Maybe she doesn't need it but we have eggs and milk in abundance and I hear that that is her favorite.

I think I will just buy the Diamonds naturals and see how that goes.
    Will see how long a 40lb bag lasts. Next month I could afford the more expensive feed if she doesn't do good on diamond.Diamond is $36...so about $11 cheaper. I am just a little maxed out right now....

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

You can feed less food if it has less fillers. I've found that even with the higher cost of a higher quality food, since I'm feeding it less, it comes out about the same cost wise.

Some people here suggest that feeding puppy food isn't really important for pyr puppies, because they don't require the extra calcium, some just go right into the adult formula.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) samantha63's Avatar

a few things i love about TOTW.

first, it has four different formulas that are the same except the protein/meat source. for some reason it seems to be that a lot of pyrs get picky, including mine haha so with rotational feeding it keeps her interested!

second, its an all life stages formula. you can feed it to any age dog with no issue! all my dogs have been fed TOTW their whole lives

third, it has no grains, no fillers, no by product and has all human grade ingredients.

kaiah ate between 4 cups a day until she was about three and a half months, then she ate 6 cups a day. just recently (she is almost 6 months) she has slowed down in the last couple weeks and is now only eating between 4 and 5 cups per day.

Sam, mom to Romeo (Great Dane), Chadwick (Aussie mix) and Kaiah (Great Pyr)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) kimierose's Avatar

kimierose`s Photos

I feed Bella Science Diet or Iams large breed puppy food can usally catch one of them on sale We have a place here called Rural King and they keep one or the other on sale Bella at almost 4 months depending on how hot it is usally eats around 7 cups a day now.I usally go thro a 40 pd bag in a months time.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lou Lou's Avatar

Lou Lou`s Photos

Like the others have mentioned, she will eat more as a pup than as an adult.. Counter intuitive I know. LOL but they are doing alot of growing. Ralph went from 4 cups as a teensy man to about 6 cups during his big growth stage, and after about a year old he was back to 4 cups and has maintained that since.

If you have a Costco nearby and are considering Diamond, you might want to do a price check on the Kirkland brand dog food Sam suggested as its made by Diamond.

Blue is also a pretty good food and their recall history is better than Diamond. I'm not a big fan of Diamond specifically on recall histories but I've heard alot of people who like their products.

We feed Orijen by Champion Pet Foods, which (not gonna lie) can be pretty steep if you're strapped for cash. Both our dogs do really well on it though and I like that their products are made in-house. Champion also makes Acana which is their more affordable grain-inclusive line, but I'm not sure what the pricing is on it.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Maggie's mom's Avatar

Maggie's mom`s Photos

Blue is also a pretty good food and their recall history is better than Diamond. I'm not a big fan of Diamond specifically on recall histories but I've heard alot of people who like their products.
    Totally agree with Lou Lou on that. Diamond just had a HUGE recall a month or so ago, and from what I read about the issues and the facility in SC where the recall originated, it's going to take them a while to fix the issues.

Of the foods you listed, I'd recommend Blue. I can't remember a recall on their food, it consistently rates well for quality ingredients, and most dogs seem to tolerate it fairly well.

I also agree that when these guys mature, it seems their appetite diminishes considerably. I'm sure the heat is a contributing factor, but Maggie doesn't eat much at all any more! (I feed a raw diet) A few months ago, she could polish off a chicken quarter in a few minutes, and still act hungry...now, I split the quarters and she only eats a leg or thigh in the morning, and a small chunk of beef with an organ mix for her evening meal. It sure helps with the grocery bill!!