Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra Dewclaw

mfranklin`s Photos

Default Extra Dewclaw

Hi all.

I am new here so since I have not yet intro'd myself, my name is Mike. I am - along with the entire household - the blessed owners of a young Great Pyr named 'Izzy'.

I have always heard about double dewclaws on certain breeds but this is the first time I have ever had a pet with them. She has a brother that was adopted by another member of the extended family that also sports this feature. In fact, I am told that the whole litter that they came from, had them.

We have not yet consulted the vet regarding this issue directly but have read on numerous sites that the removal of of one is often the best course to avoid injury and/or long term disability so... any expertise or experience you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for anything you can offer and... nice to meet you

Mike

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar
      TexasKat`s Photos

Pyrs are supposed to have double dew claws -- it's a breed trait. The breed is over 4000+ years old and during that time most were living in VERY rough terrain -- mountainsides. Pyrs don't generally have problems with 'injuring' their dewclaws. Of course, you have to keep them trimmed, but removing them is unnecessary.

Think about it as though it were your pinkie toe..... it gets stubbed all the time I'll bet -- broken pinkie toes are common.

That doesn't mean most of us would cut them off. (Though I've heard there are some women who do so that they can wear more fashionable shoes, the whole idea makes me shudder.)

It is NOT a minor operation and can affect their gait. I've never met a Pyr owner who regretted keeping their Pyrs' dewclaws.

P.S. Forgot to say WELCOME! We love pics! Izzy's pirate patch face mask is adorable!

mfranklin`s Photos

Thanks much. It has always been my wish to keep Izzy as original as possible.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Espinay's Avatar
      Espinay`s Photos

Welcome and agree. Definitely don't remove the dewclaws, they are meant to have them. Here is a good site which explains it. Includes x-rays so you can see what the claws actually look like: http://pyrmont.tripod.com/dewclaws.html
    Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs (Australia) - putting the Breed before breeding

www.espinay.com

mfranklin`s Photos

Clicked on link but all I git was a baby blue background page.

So'kay though... I had planned on defending Izzy's double pairs anyway, lol.

Thanks for the reply and info

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Mike & Izzy!!
    She is a cutie
    I've never had my Pyr's have any problems with their double dews. As a matter of fact, living in Alaska I have seen more than once how they aid in helping my dogs climb (usually when they are chasing a scent) and how my Pyr's use them while walking in the deep snow...almost like a pair of snow shoes!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Espinay's Avatar
      Espinay`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by mfranklin View Post
    Clicked on link but all I git was a baby blue background page.

So'kay though... I had planned on defending Izzy's double pairs anyway, lol.

Thanks for the reply and info
    Works when I click it, so don't know what is wrong.
    Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs (Australia) - putting the Breed before breeding

www.espinay.com

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar
      TexasKat`s Photos

Since linking didn't work for some, here's the text:

The Pyr has a single dewclaw on the front leg and a double dewclaw on the hind leg.

On this xray, the double dewclaws, or toes, can be faintly seen, with their individual bone structure.

This double dewclaw is one of the distinguishing features of the breed, and a requirement in the breed standard.

If a Pyr is to compete in the show ring, these dewclaws must be two completely separate, well formed claws, arising from the inner aspect of the pastern and distinguishable as separate, individual toes, for this is really what they are.

Some dogs have quite a rigid structure, while others have totally floppy dewclaws. They may be set quite low with the lower one almost touching the ground but generally are set a little higher, well clear of the dog's foot.

When observing the pyr movement from the rear, it is important to note that these dewclaws may give the impression that the dog is moving too close.

The purpose of these extra toes was probably to provide additional balance and traction for the dog, as he performed his flock guarding duties on steep mountain slopes, and they may still be of use to dogs working in steep or rough terrain today.

The extra toes and claws never cause problems, which surprises owners of breeds without dewclaws.

It is not necessary to remove them! and indeed it is better not to do so. Removal means cutting into the tiny bones in the toes and really is quite drastic surgery with all the risks of anaesthesia, infection and pain for the dog, all of which is totally unnecessary.

The only care they require is to keep the nail trimmed to prevent it growing around and digging back into the toe. Some ill effects may - and do - occur if the dewclaws are removed

This report is from Cathy Brooks, Mississippi Great Pyrenees Rescue, Inc.

" I have a Pyr I adopted who is 11 years old now and his dew claws, as far as we can tell were removed sometime before he was 4 years old.
    While he didn't have any trouble in his younger years, he does have ankle trouble now. Not extremely bad but it seems that he sometimes has trouble with balance when he is depending on his back legs to hold him up, (i.e., coming up steps).

n addition to the weakness of Foster's ankles he also doesn't have the balance of the other Pyrs who have the double dews. I've seen him lose his balance more than once. He is also very sensitive (even after over 7 years after removal) in those areas when I go to brush him and clip his nails. He kicks like a mule when I forget and grab his ankle where the dews should be."

From Pyr owner Stephanie Whitney, U.S.A.-

"It always makes me sad to see the difference between the way that the Pyrs hold bones to chew them, firmly gripped and clearly held still with the front dew claws, while the wolfhounds (whose dewclaws are removed on day 3) try to hold their bones that keep slipping out of their grip, while they attempt to hold them between their paws at the spot that their dewclaws would have been, had they been left alone. I used to notice that if you touched the spot that the dewclaws had been removed, my first wolfhound would pull his paws away. He hated to have that spot touched."

Very occasionally there may be a double dewclaw on the front leg and triple dewclaws on the hind leg. Owners of such dogs report no problems with the claws and the general consensus is to leave them alone.

Other French breeds such as the Pyrenean Shepherd and Beuceron also have double dewclaws, perhaps they shared a common, distant ancestor.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lancelot's Avatar
      Lancelot`s Photos

Thanks for posting the article about dewclaws. Lance has triple dew claws on one back leg and a small forth claw on his other. Glad to read that sometimes happens.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    Thanks for posting the article about dewclaws. Lance has triple dew claws on one back leg and a small forth claw on his other. Glad to read that sometimes happens.
    You mean Lance has triple dewclaws on one leg and quadruple on the other?! Can you show us pics? That's so unusual! That's even MORE nails to do