Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Default 2012 Nationals Pics

We spent the weekend at the Pyr Nationals in PA. The only downside was my two had to be kenneled.

We had a blast. Tried to take pictures but as that ballroom was not all that well-lit, most of my pics were no good. But, don't dispair, the same photographer that was at the 2011 Nationals came this year as well and you can see her pics at www.greatpyrphotos.com. I think she may be still loading her pics so there may be more on the website in the coming days.

We saw two of Bijou's half sisters at the show Met and spoke with a breeder who is bringing French-breds to inject into her line. The part French-breds are all huge. I saw 3 males and 1 female there from that breeder. The 3 males are uniformly 32 inches at the shoulder. The 1 female is 1/2 French, and she's 29 inches. While all of them are very tall, they are not heavy boned and are very balanced and with good movements. Their heads are HUGE as compared to my petite Bijou, but very proportionate to their bodies. The males ranged from 116 to 124 lbs, and the female is 107 lbs. The American bred males are I guess average about 29-31 inches, but a couple are about 32 inches, and with a couple of others that are smaller at probably 27 inches. So, there was a big range.

It was also very interesting seeing the similar structures of dogs from each particular breeder line. And this is for Maggie's Mom, I saw great variation in coat length and thickness within some of the lines We even met a breeder from Japan. She has bought several dogs from my breeder and she came to watch with several of her friends. Now, that's a long way to travel!

The dog that won this year is from a breeder who has been breeding for 40 years. This is her first Nationals win. Several of my friends acquired their show dogs from her, so we are all very happy for her. The female that took Best Opposite $ex has done very well in the last year in all breed shows, taking Group wins and placings as well as a few Best in Shows. So I was excited to get to see her in person. I have to say, I think she is very pretty.

As I said in my other post about Nationals, next year's Nationals will be in Texas, in Potsboro. That's on the border of Texas and Oklahoma. If you are within driving distance, I would highly recommend considering going. It is quite an experience!

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

I'll be looking for the dates ... it is only about 400 miles so should make a nice Sunday drive.

It is always fun to see the different lines and the differences and similarities across lines.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I am so jealous! I got to see a whole bunch of pictures and videos on facebook. There were some stunning looking dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Maggie's mom's Avatar

Maggie's mom`s Photos

I'm so jealous, too! Had you ever met Bijou's half-sisters before? How fun to see them! It must have been really interesting to see all the different breeders and learn what they are bringing into their lines. I'd love to see a French-bred pyr in person...they sound so majestic. The girl I bought Maggie from said both of her parents are BIG dogs, and her male (supposedly the sire) is #130...I don't think Maggie has the bone structure to be a big pyr, however. Maggie's coat and overall size remind me of the pyr in the photo with the lady kneeling (a #2 on the near-by wall.) It's an easy coat to care for...but I love those big, fluffy guys!
    I can't wait to see more of the pics. Pyr faces are so expressive...I just love them! I think it's so sweet how so many of the pics showed the pups with their heads buried in the handlers chest...or standing on their back legs for a hug!
    I'm so glad you were able to go this year. I hope I'll get to go one year!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie's mom View Post
    Had you ever met Bijou's half-sisters before? How fun to see them!
    Nope, my breeder is in NY so I only get to see pics. One of them is the one that I had posted the pic in the other thread, the one with the luxurious coat. The other one is only 7 months old, very cute. Here is a video of the judging of the not-yet champion females and they are in this line up. They are the second dog in line, and the last one in line, that's the 7 month old. The first one in line won. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICk8k...ature=youtu.be

And, I forgot to say in my first post that I met and chatted with a most interesting lady that took her pyr through schutzhund training. She told me that this dog had been purchased from a petshop by friends. At 3 months they wanted to get rid of him because they said he was aggressive. She ended up taking him. She said indeed he exhibited aggressive postures to get what he wanted. He was high strung, high energy and patrolled her yard relentlessly (really kind of unusual for pyrs). She took him to a trainer and the trainer told her, after two sessions, that he was beyond her abilities and referred this lady to a trainer that specializes in rottweilers. That trainer evaluated him and told her that he believed the dog has aggressive tendencies, and that the way to go is to teach him how to bite, then teach him how not to - i.e., schutzhund. They excelled. Then she found out he has very severe environmental as well as food allergies which was a partial cause of his being so high strung. She spent a fortune to deal with and get a handle on his allergy issues. This dog is soooo lucky to have found this lady. With any other owner, he would probably had been put down long ago.

Red, here's for your calender, 2013 Nationals, 4/10/2013 to 4/13/2013.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

added to my calendar ... now I just have to get it added to mama _Red's for it to be officially reserved.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Jewel`s Photos

Here is one of the pictures I did take. These are a few of the items in the silent auction that one will find at the National Specialty. There are always a bunch of pyr related stuff to buy

And this is for Tsunibear, there was even a token shar-pei at the Nationals!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Winterlude's Avatar

Winterlude`s Photos

Jewel, thanks so much for sharing the news and the link to the photos! I loved seeing all the Pyrs and the people there. Isn't it great to be able to see your own dogs' relatives in person!

The variety fascinates me .. the French Pyrs in comparison to the American.. We love the "big bear" heads with the badger markings, but then I have never seen a Pyr that wasn't a beauty. Like Maggie's Mom, the photos of owners and their dog all cuddled up are so nice to see. Pyr love just seems to be very, very deep .. Glad you got the chance to go!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

It's a Pei at a Pyr National! I am not the only crazy person who has a Pei and Pyr for a pair. I get told all the time that I must be crazy to have those two breeds for a pair. Something about both breeds being dominate and borderline aggressive. Thankfully neither one of mine are dominate or aggressive unless you are creepy and try to touch their Mom.

Also someone got a magnet from Nationals that I really really want. I might even google search for it cause it fits me nicely. It says "I like my dogs, you not so much."

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Espinay's Avatar

Espinay`s Photos

Glad you enjoyed the National. I was there too this year. It was wonderful to be there with friends as well as to see the dogs. We did have a lot of fun! Texas next your should be great too judging from the kickoff party LOL!

Some photos from the National on my webpage (though yes, it was hard taking photos inside as the lighting wasnt the best): http://www.espinay.com/usa2012.cfm

Debra did take some great photos, So I am looking forward to recieving her DVD (she tells me she took a great photo me juggling two cameras LOL!).

If people are interested in French dogs I also have some photos from the Nationale d'Elevage in France in 2009 on my webpage: http://www.espinay.com/france2009.cfm
    Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs (Australia) - putting the Breed before breeding

www.espinay.com