Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Allergies, jack is scratching and chewing his skin

Hi everyone, jack has started scratching and chewing at his skin relentlessly. he was eating purina one chicken and rice large breed and last time i had to pick some up they were out. i picked up regular purina one large breed whick i think chicken is #1 ingredient. also lately he has been getting a pack of Lance crackers 100% whole wheat and sharp chheese once a week. he is on trifexas heartworm and flea. earlier this week he got an oatmeal bath to try to help with dry skin and yesterday we realized while washing cat food bowl thaty he is probally eating out of that also or the cats are really drooling. also its the time of year when everyone is treating their lawns with weed killers and fertilizers. how do i go about narrowing it down..when he is walking on a leash he likes to go under every bush or brush up against them and when he lays in the yard could it be noseeum's or ants...i dont see any thing in his fur...could somebody that has gone thru this please tell me how to go about it. i am afraid if i take him to the vet they will want to shave him. what about small dose of benadryl?
    thanks
    patrick

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Small doses of benadryl will help with some of the symptoms, but, you really need to find the cause. It could be ants, our Hank got into a fireant bed last year and we ended up having to shave that area and treat with antibiotics to stop a skin infection. Does he have little red bumps like ant bites? (They look just like they do on your skin.)

Also we had to put Hank on a skin and coat formula because he can't tolerate anything even after 2 years that is chicken based. We went thru every variety and brand of food out there.

Unfortunately the vet visit might be the best bet even if they do end up clipping him short or shaving him.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

thanks red, i have talked to the vet today. they did ok the benadryl and agreed with trying the old food again. she said it could be flea saliva because the trifexas has been very effective in this area with very few side affects, mostly vomiting after dosing. i was looking on the purina web site and the sensitive formula #1 ingredient is salmon with no chicken if this does not help. does everyone give thier pyr's omega 3 as a suppelment in their food and does it help? i have seen in threads about tea tree oil to sooth areas?
    thanks
    patrick

booboo65`s Photos

Default maybe food allergy??

We adopted a Pyr from the local shelter and he too was scratching and biting his skin, constantly. Poor thing would scratch or bite at his back, ears, tail, belly and just about everywhere. I also used benadryl, but I could still tell that he just seemed miserable. I began doing a lot of research on food, allergies and anything else I could read. I started out with the simple thing and changed his food. I had read several articles about dogs being allergic to corn, which is the first ingredient in Pedigree. I felt that this would be the easiest and cheapest way to start narrowing my search for the cause. It took about 2 to 3 weeks before I started noticing a change. The scratching had almost stopped completely, but he was still having a small issue with scratching, but mainly on the front of his legs. I got down on the floor with him one night with a magnifying glass. (The things we do for our pets, ha). I couldn't believe what I found..........seed ticks! He was covered in them. I had been using Frontline on him. I took him to the groomer and got a "dip" which helped tremendously. I also switched to K9 Advantix since then and all is well now.

..........just my 2 cents.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

he is always walking under pampas grass and monkey grass and even though it is a neighborhood it is heavly wooded...guess i will pull out the magnifying glass at some of the spots...thanks booboo
    patrick

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

We have all of ours on the Trifexas and any fosters that stay here for any length of time get put on it as well (it simplifies dosing) and it works great. they all also get Omega 3 pills as treats no less.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

booboo65`s Photos

Default Omega 3

Hi Red: I notice you give Omega 3. I've never given supplements, but I wonder if I should be doing that. Before we adopted Sly, he had hip surgery to repair the "ball and socket". Basically, the ball of the socket was completely destroyed and they used his muscle to replace it. Not sure I understand how they did this, but he will forever have a minor limp. Because of this I'm very careful not to overfeed him. I give him 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night. I'm always checking his weight, ribs, etc.. I don't want to overfeed or underfeed. Right now I'm feeding him Avoderm Large Breed. I was hoping the ingredients in this food has all he needs for his joints, etc... Other than that, I give him an all natural "cookie" treat periodically. Do you think I should give him Omega 3 as a supplement? If so, what is the dosage and where do you buy them?

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Hi booboo65 we give the Omega-3 more for the coat and skin than for the joints. We give glucosamine / chondroitin (SP?) for the joints but we don't do those on a daily basis unless we have an orthopedic foster.

I'm not home right now so I can't get the dosages for you, but, I believe they are 500 mg capsules and they get 2 a day. Some days they will get a couple of extras. They take the whole capsule and chew it instead of trying to separate it and pour it over their food.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Jewel`s Photos

booboo65, with pyrs being their size, you can give them the human dosage of omega 3. It is better to use fish oil rather than flax seed oil as dogs digest animal products better. The sugery you described sounds like the same one that Sophie the pyr/golden mix had. From what I understand she's doing great.

Patrick, my first pyr had severe allergies, both food and environmental. One fo the things she was horribly allergic to was oats. Feeding her oats made her break out in staph infections and oatmeal baths turned her skin bright red and her coat fell out in clumps

Unfortunately this is the season for environmental allergies to kick in like crazy, so it can very well be that Jack's allergic to something airborn. If you want to try food trials, you must make sure that he has no access to other types of food. I would actually recommend using not just a skin and coat formula but an allergy formula food that has limited ingredients. Since you didn't have Jack as a pup, you would not know what protein sources he's been exposed to and thus you don't really know what would be a novel protein for him. You can always try ducck or rabbit, which is not as commonly fed. Allergy formula foods also do not contain grains, which can also be the cause for allergies.

With environmental allergies, I have heard people feeding honey made from local flowers and apparently that works for some dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

thanks jewel. is there a soothing shampoo that would help now? his fur even feels different since the oatmeal bath...much more coarse and not as shiney. we withheld food yesterday until we could get the one he was previously on and started benadryl. 730 last night and again at 4 this morning. he was still nawing and i could feel other wet spots in his coat that he had been after while we were walking this morning. we will also dose him around 1 this afternoon. Red now about the omega 3. regular human brands( like from walgreens)? anything specific? pills or pump bottle? we will give the change in food 3 or 4 days and if no success we will try a sensitive food. i went over his coat with a magnifying glass last night and did not see anything like "seed ticks" just some redness and no scabs at this point...but my skin was crawling at the thought of having to BOMB the house. i will have girlfriend go the local farmers market and look for honey tomorrow and i have the feeling he will like that anyway...we put the cat food up so he cant get at it and will withhold any other treats until we nail this thing down. he is one miserable boy right now and i feel bad for him. you rub down his back or side and his skin just flinches. thanks all
    patrick