Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Janet_P`s Photos

Default Just wondering....

Most of the pictures I've seen of the Great Pyrenees have very dark eyes. Jethro's eyes are gold. The rest of him looks just like some of the pictures I've seen. There seem to be the thicker, huskier ones and lankier ones. He's kind of lanky. He's all white. I've been wondering if he was all Pyrenees or maybe had some golden retriever mixed in. Anyway, I was wondering about the light eyes.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

Do you mean the "eye liner" around the eyes, or the actull eyes themselves?

All of my dogs have fairly dark brown eyes....

except my current border mix, his are almost a freaky yellow!

What's intersting is when you go outside after dark if you have multiple animals and see what colors reflect back at you when you shine a flash light around.

Nearly all of my dogs reflect back green, but my last border reflected back RED, and my current border mix reflects back a yellow.

It's all genetic.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I haven't seen a pyr without the eyeliner yet. Missy is a mix and still has the eyeliner.

As for eye color there is a pyr on here whose name is Reba and she has the prettiest hazel/green eyes I have ever seen. It's not something that a breeder wants in their dogs but, that doesn't mean that it can't happen.

http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/album....&pictureid=831

Janet_P`s Photos

I meant the actual eye color. He has the eyeliner but his eyes are gold...like beer. Not that deep dark brown the others have.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I wouldn't worry about that too much then cause, like I said earlier Reba has lighter colored eyes and there use to be someone who had a pyr with at least one blue eye. It's just a default.

Jewel`s Photos

Bro, my 1/2 pyr, 1/2 aussie/retriever has golden color eyes. I think the color is from his non-pyr side as I've seen retrievers with eye color just like that, and some aussies too

The pyrs are supposed to have dark pigmentation, on their nose, around the eyes, and the eye color should be a rich dark brown. Here is a good example

With rescues one can never know for sure whether it's a purebred. Jethro certainly may be purebred just with the unusual eye color, and then it is just as possible that he has a tad of something else in him. My first pyr (that's her standing behind Bro in the pic) had the eye color, the eyeliner but her nose was not black. She was all white and had the double dews. We think she was probably purebred, but who knows as she was found lost as a pup, and we certainly didn't care either way.

Janet_P`s Photos

I think he's got some golden retriever. His eyes look very much like the picture you posted of the one with the lighter eyes. And his nose is pink and black, not solid black. But he does have the double dew claws. I don't really care. I just wondered. I wasn't concerned if he was purebred or not when I saw his picture online, I just fell in love with his face. When I got to the SPCA, there was another guy there waiting for them to open. He has a dog with him. I thought he worked there. Turns out he had seen my boy a couple days earlier and was bringing back the paperwork for adoption, and his corgi to see how they bonded. But they let me visit first. The second I saw him, I was completely crazy about him. I went out and they let the guy and his dog go in and the lady at the desk asked me what I thought. I told her I thought I could take that guy in a fair fight. She muttered something about his own dog didn't really seem to like him. He seemed kind of...harsh. They turned him down after the visit and I got him. Purebred or not, he's a keeper for sure.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Sounds like Jethro was meant to be with you...sometimes it all works out

Puppy (New Member)

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

I know this post is 6 years old. But, we just lost a wonderful, female Greatpyr mix with yellow/gold eyes. She had kidney failure. Does anyone know if or where we could find one like her? -Steve

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Steve...so sorry to hear about the loss of your girl....can you tell us more about her...how long did you get to enjoy her company?

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for....but....don't set your limits to just eye color....my guess is that you are looking for another special girl to be in your life...and I will say it....you can never replace that special one you lost with eye color or markings...they are all individuals...just as we are...look for the girl who speaks to your heart...then you won't be disappointed that she's not like your other girl, rather you will cherish the new girl for who she is & the happiness she brings into your life.

let us know who finds you!
    Nancy & Rudy