Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

no human intentions`s Photos

Default is a 4 1/2 month pup shedding normal???

questions....do pyr pups loose their hair (like they do their teeth)?? meaning does the pup coat fall out as the adult coat grows in ? or is gandolf into his summer shed already? he's 4 1/2 months and i didnt expect a summer shed so soon.... he was all round and fluffy soft, now he's MUCH thinner and corser. and i get 5-6 brush fulls of fur from him daily not to mention "cotton balls" all over everything in the house. is this type of shedding normal at his stage in life? he also quite "gangly" and thin looking now that he entering adolecent stage.

i feed him a good brand "diamond brand grain free lrg. breed puppy formula" it has the lower calcium called for , for large dogs to devlelop properly. i free feed cause he is not a food scarfer and he eats a large bowl of food in aprox. 3 days. now someone else in a pyr group on facebook is telling me i should take him off the puppy food already (at 4 1/2 months) telling me horror stories about "pano" (panosteitis) and puppy food. i have done alot of research on this food and was quite satisfied that he is growing slowly enough. but his other party insists that he should not be losing coat the way he is this early in his life and that i should switch to an adult food. i would like some second opinions on this matter as i was under the asumption that pups should stay on pup food until they are about a year old. i mean he still has all his puppy teeth and his testi's havent even dropped yet....

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Scout blew his adult coat for the first time and lost the final part of his puppy hair all at the same time. He was about a year old when that happened and it left him looking like a skinny white golden retriever for about a month. 4 and 1/2 months does seem young, but I sincerely doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with his food (unless he has allergies, but if so you'd see other indications like hotspots, itching and red skin).

Has he started getting his adult coat yet? It doesn't look like it from the photos in your sig, but not sure how current they are. Male Pyr adult coats begin coming in in the middle of their backs -- the topcoat is long and coarse and that usually appears first. The growth seems to work it's way up to their head (from there) and down their sides. Eventually there will be a distinct 'line' of hair (noticeably longer and thicker) where their male "mane" is.

When Pyrs blow their coats, it's an enormous amount of hair -- and seems even more than it is because it is so fluffy. Gypsy has started blowing her coat already this season, but Scout hasn't. I took her outside for a thorough brushing yesterday. The birds love Pyr fluff for their nests. There will be much more to come.

FYI, Scout and Gypsy are both fed a 'raw" (not really 'raw' because they won't eat anything 'uncooked') human grade diet. They get mostly chicken, though they also get beef and pork when it's on sale. They love eggs and cheese and occasionally a bowl of Special-K cereal. They get a couple of spoonfuls of lite premium grade ice cream as a treat. They have a bowl of Castor & Pollux 'Ultramix" available to them all the time, but seldom eat it. It's the only brand of kibble that they're actually willing to consider.... occasionally ... as food.

Gypsy will come eat when I call 'suppertime' but Scout ignores his dinner until HE's ready to eat -- sometimes not until the next day.

Sometimes they eat everything, sometimes not. Tonight each had 1/2 rotissiere chicken and 2 BBQ beef ribs (with the meat still on). They ate the ribs and left about 1/2 the chicken (Gypsy has decided she doesn't particularly like white meat ). The kibble (as usual) is untouched.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Is the weather there warm? Missy when she was about Gandolf's age suffered from heat stroke and got really sick well, two days after the 115 degree weather she lost a lot of her coat. She was awkward looking and had what I felt was more like a lab coat then pyr coat but, now she is all thick and hairy.

Honestly I don't think it is your food. With the weather being weird around the country dog's coats are being effected by it.

As for the food thing I fed Missy adult food at that age only because, I was having food allergies and my vet said it wouldn't hurt her to move her onto an adult food so I did it. It also helped because, Monty was an adult and wouldn't stop eating her food.

Road Dawg

jessaba`s Photos

Our pups (10 months old) are shedding like crazy, but its been 80 degrees everyday lately!

Jess
    North Georgia
    www.facebook.com/rebelyellfarm
    Raising Nigerian Dwarf and Pygmy Goats

Jewel`s Photos

Hmm, the puppy fluff does get replaced, but generally speaking pups do not blow coat at 4 1/2 months.

The Diamond food is a quality food so it's not the lack of quality. When you say he eats a "big bowl" every 3 days, how big exactly is that bowl? Assuming he's a 55 lb puppy, a giant breed pup that size at 4 1/2 months could eat a good 5 cups a day. How many cups does the bowl hold? I ask because there is a tiny possibility that if Gandolf is not eating enough, all of the nutrition could be used by his body simply to grow, and not enough is left for his coat, which could cause him to lose coat.

Are you saying neither of his testicles have dropped? At nearly 5 months old, both of the testicles should have dropped by now. A pup younger than 6 months could have its testicles come down then go back up. But if you've not felt either one at all, you might want to keep an eye on that.

I don't believe there is a definitive answer as to why pano hits some pups and not others. As to puppy food, my breeder doesn't use puppy food at all. All of her pups are weaned directly to adult food. Other breeders recommend keeping pups on puppy food til 18 months. I think in the end it's personal choice whether to use puppy food.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha1/2's Avatar

Sasha1/2`s Photos

Sasha's coat seemed to change from fluffy puppy coat to adult coat at about 3 months. Her comb was always full of fluff. Now, at 4.5 months, not so much.
    I was born on a farm on October 27, 2011. Now I live in the suburbs. Dad is Great Pyrenees, Mom is Border Collie x Springer Spaniel. My brother is a Pit Bull who was rescued from BSL.

we are in missouri and the weather has been upper 70's to 80's the last 2 weeks. this week it has been rainy in the upper 60's but going back up to the 80's by this weekend. his "large" bowl i guesstimate holds about 10-12 cups of food. i've never actually measured how much it holds...maybe i should do that next time he empties it. he also gets ediable bones, treats & i keep a baggie of table scraps just for training purposes. i can feel testi's but not see them, they about the size of a corn kernal. and the hair in the center of his back is noticabley longer and corser than it used to be. he still has a little bit of "mane" and fluff around his hocks but all the hair on the rest of him is very thin compared to what it was. i also was concerned that maybe he's not eating enough. he's a drive by nibbler. when he does eat he grabs a mouthfull, carries into the living room eats it. he might do that 4 times at once thoughout the day. after he "does his business" he always imdediatly comes inside and repeats the mouthfull process

here's a pic showing him about a month ago and how he looks today

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

From the pics, it certainly looks like he's lost most of his puppy coat. I don't see any 'adult' coat growing in quite yet, though it could be just the angle of the photo. I just measured Scout's "mane" over his shoulders on his back -- it's about 6 inches long from skin to hair tip. Gypsy's outer coat at the same spot is a little under 3 inches -- but she is a 'typical' female without a 'mane'.

Here's a recent pic of Scout.... but he started out looking much like your Gandalf when he was little:

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

As for the testicle question, Monty didn't drop one completely. I could feel it but, not see it and he is short haired. So it is possible that Gandolf might be cryptorchid.

As for the coat let me show you Missy.

This picture is at 4 weeks old and she had started losing fuzz but, was still fuzzy.

This one she is just short of 5 months old and you can tell that she is lacking the coat department.

This last picture was taken the day before her 3rd Birthday this month.

Weather will effect a coat. That I can tell you for sure. Now Missy has a very large mane now you can't tell in that picture but, if you look at one head on you can tell. She doesn't have the pantaloons like a show dog but, she isn't lacking there either. Then again I live in area where my coldest day is 50 degrees and my coldest night would be 25 degrees. Our summers can get up to the 120 degrees, so naturally her coat won't be as thick as a dog that lives in Alaska or Canada.