Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Unhappy Litter mates...girls fighting

Hello, I'm new to your forum. We have 3 Great Pyrs, 1 male and 2 females. They are litter mates. We had a problem right before they were all old enough to be fixed with the girls occassionally getting into a scuffle, but it was easily stopped. Scary but easily stopped. They are 3 1/2 now and today we had a lot of guest over, which we do often, but for some reason the girls got into a fight. Bloody fight. We seperated them, took them on a walk, fed them and then let them back together. They started fighting again. We seperated them again. One of them keeps growling anytime the other female is anywhere in her sight and she is the one starting the fights. No apparent reason as to why. They all are fed the same, given attention and taken on walks. Has anyone ever had a problem with one Pyr becoming aggressive as it has gotten older for any reason. Any suggestions on how to reintroduce them? We live on almost 2 acres, but have a neighbor who complains and calls the police if they even bark once at night so we've all ways had them sleep in the laundry room but can't put them in their together if they are going to fight. They are normally so low key. Any tips or suggestions would be great!
    Last edited by 3Pyrs; 02-20-2012 at 04:50 AM. Reason: change icon

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Unfortunately this is not at all uncommon with same gender pairs sometimes being litter-mates makes it even worse.

First go read this : http://www.lgd.org/library/dogfight.htm. It is not just about breaking up a fight. They have matured and now that one female is refusing to share her territory and flock with the other one.

Can it be fixed ... Maybe. Will it be an easy fix ... Probably not. First thing in order is a vet visit to insure there isn't a medical issue underlying the change.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Espinay's Avatar

Espinay`s Photos

Yes, unforunately with Pyrs this is not uncommon and the girls can be the worst. Once a bitch decides it doesnt like another bitch sometimes the only thing you can do is keep them separated. As mentioned, this can sometimes be worse with littermates. I have had bitches in the past that have got on for a number of years then suddenly hate each other and want to kill one another. From then on they have had to be kept separated. Often a baby gate between them inside can be enough, but they then need to be kept in separate areas outside or rotated outside so only one is out at a time. You may be lucky and work through it, but be prepared to keep them separated, particularly when you are not around.

Note that treating them the same may also be contributing to the problem too if the issue is a dominance one. Better that you support the higher ranking one more. Of course working out who that is may not be easy if they are both trying to be alpha bitch.
    Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs (Australia) - putting the Breed before breeding

www.espinay.com

Unhappy Thank you for the advice and information...

Thank you for all the information. We did not know this. We do know that the person who gave us our puppies kept one male and in the fall just before the dog turned 3 it's sire killed it. We were shocked to hear that but thought it was because they had never kept a puppy before and the two parent dogs were used to being the only ones. It makes us so sad to think that we wont be able to reintroduce the girls. We've tried several times today and nothing has worked. I'm calling their vet tomorrow to talk to her. We may have to split them up. I know that one of the females is closer to the brother than the other....so we will probably let the two go to my parents and keep one female and look for a younger male to introduce her to. Just don't know. The kids are all upset.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

sorry, I almost never ever advocate re-homing a dog, it's not something that I would probably ever do. However in this case, it sounds like it might be a better option, it's that, or keeping the two girls seperate always. I have a couple of girls whom don't get along, and they don't ever interact with each other, for that same reason.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I know that it may be hard right now to think about re-homing & splitting up the dogs, but in the long term you are doing you, them & your family a good and selfless act.
    I once had 2 Aussie females who started fighting, once one of them turned 18-20 months old. She was fighting with a 5-7 year old who was the ruling female in the house....they fought so hard and violently our older female was at the vet's office for a week recovering from a bite so close to her femoral artery the vet said she was surprised that our girl survived the fight. We found a home for Rosie, the younger pup, with a fisherman & his 3 girls. It was hard to see Rosie everyday, but soon I realized she was in her glory. She had 4 people who loved her, took her everywhere, & cared for her...plus....she was the only dog in the household. She remembered me, but loved her new family...and when it came time for her last breath, the fisherman came back off of the fishing grounds to be there for her & hold her.
    I hope all works out for you & your 2 & 4 legged pack, please let us know

Nancy & Holly

Thank you Nancy & Holly and everyone. This is so hard. Lots of tears from everyone. It's even harder because our girl that is starting the fighting is most bonded to our male so we are afraid she will struggle readjusting if we don't let the two of them go together. On a good note my dad who lives on 12 acres has decided he wants them instead of having them go to strangers - we all love them. He is having part of his property fenced so that they can live there. He doesn't live close so the kids wont get to see them as often as they want but they will still get to see them and get to hear updates about them. We are also concerned about our girl that we are keeping because having to seperate and change her routine seems to be making her depressed. She wouldn't eat yesterday. We are wondering if we need to look into getting a young male for her to bond with so that she doesn't become depressed and sick. She is used to having the two other dogs to play with...we have been splitting the time with the male between the two girls - luckily we have our yard cross fenced so keeping them seperate has been fairly easy but our girl that is not starting the fighting and is depressed will not play with our male and when he walks up to her she walks away. It's all so sad and off schedule.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

A couple of quick questions :

Have you had them vetted to see if there is a medical issue that may have precipitated this? (and also may be leading to the "depression")

The one that you think is starting the fight might not actually be the one that is sending the "lets fight" signal.

And just out of curiosity why did you choose to re-home the two instead of the one. ('cause that is who my dad would take is an acceptable answer ... I am just wondering)

It is hard and my heart hurts for you having to give up a couple of your babies, but, as responsible 'Pyr'ents it is our duty to do what is best for our fur-babies...
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Red,

Yes, we have taken them to the vet recently, 3 weeks ago for annual check up & got clean bill of health, called their vet on Monday after the fights. Am taking each of the girls seperately in to have them re-checked.

The decision to re-home two is tough...we had one of the girls (Sugar) originally) and took the two other litter mates about 3 months later when the family that had them couldn't find homes since we had the room and were loving the one. They were the other female and one male. They were bonded and sleep together, hang out together in the yard. Occassionaly they will include Sugar our original female. The male is so docile and is a GIANT lap baby and non of us really want to let him go but we are worried how he would do without Cookie and how Cookie would do be re-homed without him. We are afraid she might get out to go look for him and our goal as that they all readjust well and we don't end up with any lost or worse. It's all still being figured out. My dad loves them and is excited to have the pair....it will take him about a week to get the fence built so we will be keeping them together awhile longer. With the seperation and getting all the vet checks done this week.