Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) ad_mn81's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

ad_mn81`s Photos

Default Stay away from taste of the wild dog food

Hows everyone doing, been awhile since I last posted and hope everyone and their pyr is doing well! After posting a question about Taste of The Wild Dog food and getting mixed responses, I have fed Ace their salmon formula for the past year or so.

Over the past 2 weeks or so he hasnt been eating much, he would push and move the food in his bowl around with his snout, but wouldnt actually eat it so I thought maybe he was sick, until I put the pieces of the puzzle together. One week ago I remember putting food into his bowl and thinking something smelled funny, but failed to realize it was his food that was the culprit. Tonight I went to the pet store where I normally purchase his food, and it was a very strange coincidince because another customer who waiting to check out and she was holding guess what kind of food? Yep T.O.T.W. so I proceeded to ask her whether she has had any issues with her dog not liking her food etc. At first she said no, and then I explained why I was asking. Once I was done, she said when the bag was down to 1/3rd or so left, her dog became ill and vomited for a week after eating. Hearing that confirmed to me it was the food. I bought him Earthborn Costal Salmon forumla and offered it to him upon arriving home, and guess what..he ate the hell out of it, eating a half pound plus sample bag that the store gave me for free.

Anyway long story longer I just wanted to provide information to educuate as many people here as I can and I would defintely suggest that no one feed their dog any brand produced by Diamond. If I recall correctly there were a few of you(jewel) and I dont recall who else who said stay away from Diamond products and you guys were defintely spot on. Hope everyone is doing well!
    "No my dog isn't a St. Bernard!"

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

That's weird. My cats eat TOTW and they love it. I haven't had any issues with it yet. My dogs eat Diamond Natural, they get a mixture of chicken and lamb formula. I don't feed the dogs any fish based food because, it makes them fart really really bad. The cats eat fish based foods though with no issues.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SuzMiron's Avatar

SuzMiron`s Photos

is it because of the sodium selenite in it? I don't buy Diamond products myself, but my husband brought home Diamond Dog biscuits for treats. I read the label after having recently read about sodium selenite and have been thinking I should toss them.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lou Lou's Avatar

Lou Lou`s Photos

Have you contacted the company with your concerns? The only way they get the information to recall is customer feedback usually.

Novel food is usually swallowed pretty quickly here regardless of quality. Charley who is super picky about his own Orijen to the point its difficult to keep weight on him, will gulp down my brother's dog's Authority brand food.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ad_mn81's Avatar

ad_mn81`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Lou View Post
    Have you contacted the company with your concerns? The only way they get the information to recall is customer feedback usually.

Novel food is usually swallowed pretty quickly here regardless of quality. Charley who is super picky about his own Orijen to the point its difficult to keep weight on him, will gulp down my brother's dog's Authority brand food.
    I did contact the company via email yesterday and will post their response
    "No my dog isn't a St. Bernard!"

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

No problems here with the Natural Balance Grain Free Bison. I did feed TOTW but changed because of the high protein. If your dog is having ANY kidney issues at all, the high protein in TOTW can cause problems too.

Sorry your pup got sick. Now, mine DID get sick on the Chicken soup for the soul, dog food, I think they make that too .. we bought it once to try it, and back on Natural Balance.

Tuxedodog`s Photos

I fed Kirkland (Costco/Diamond) for several years. Last summer the dog's started scratching and their coats got really dry, so I started to switch to TOTW Buffalo, it was not well recieved. When I got half done the other 2 bags I started to add in Diamond Naturals - the formula for better coats and they are certainly doing much better. I guess I would like to know why to stay away from Diamond - it came highly recommended from a number of sources.
    [/SIGPIC]

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

Never mind I guess Natural Balance is not diamond.
    People avoid diamond because of a past food recall where dogs died and got sick.

My cats eat diamond and have no problem. We had no problem on TOTW like I said , but with Gracies hips wanted a lower protein .

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Winter and Newton's Avatar

Winter and Newton`s Photos

I have fed my animals Diamond products for years with no problems except the occasional finicky eater. The recall of Diamond products was 6 years ago, was voluntary and was due to a single shipment of corn from a single vendor comtaminated with aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring fungus that attacks corn during hot dry harvest years. Not a good thing, especially if you are the owner of one of the dogs that unfortunately died but this was not a situation where Diamond's quality should be suspect 6 years later or their processing standards should be in doubt. They acted quickly on the matter. They were not tied to any of the more recent recalls of products from China. Most of the sites that rate dog food products rate Diamond products anywhere from medium high to very high depending on the particular product. I will continue to use their products and if my dogs were experiencing the symptoms you noted, I would suggest that there might be more to whatever issues your dog is having than Diamond dog food. Sorry if I am the contrarian here.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Andrea's Avatar

I am feeding the Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice since three years. I started with the puppy formula and when Luca turned one we switched to adult. I never had any issue with the food.
    In fact before I adopted my other dog Dudley I fostered him and the Rescue Group of which I was fostering for provided the food and it was Taste of the Wild. He never liked it. Instead he would go over to Luca's food and eat hers. So I didn't force him to eat the TOTW and just gave him the Diamond Natural. He just loves it and also, no problems.
    I myself decided to feed the Natural Brand because it doesn't have the by-products and fillers.
    Andrea
    If your dog thinks you are the best, do not seek a second opinion! Unknown