Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Sorry if this came up already and I missed it but how much exercise is your pup getting? A Pyr puppy shouldn't be long-term running or anything on a regular basis for joint reasons but are you stimulating Gandolf enough during the day with toys, play time, etc.? A tired Pyr = a good Pyr.

Does Gandolf sleep during the day? I, knock on wood, worked hard at "reversing" the natural nocturnal nature of my Pyr (I use the word "reversing" lightly as my Pyr is still very much active at night...just stays quite and pretends to not be active so I can sleep). Mine goes to daycare during the day (if he didn't and I was home, I would be making sure he went to dog parks, long walks with me, etc.) so at night time he is usually ready to go to bed when I hit the sack. That said, a puppy sleeping for 7 hours straight at night if he is bored is the exception not the norm...my Rajah got me up at least twice during the night for the first two to three months I had him. Sometimes it was potty issues but, mostly, it was boredom. Try giving Gandolf some tough toys or long-lasting treats (not rawhide- too much for a puppy) that you don't worry about Gandolf breaking during the night and/or swallowing pieces of.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

What time is your last potty break before going to bed? The 'rule of thumb" is that a puppy can 'hold it' for 1 hour for each month they are old. So a 5 month old puppy could wait 5 hours between potty breaks.

no human intentions`s Photos

"TEXASKAT" last night we went to bed around 12:30am. last potty is right before we hit the sack.
    "Chi Gal" I try to give him plenty of play and exorcise, especially before bed time. i play him out so hard his legs get all wobbley lol. yesterday was our 1st "walk"/leash training which ended up me practiacally dragging him around the block even tho i was coaxing with treats. we have a large fenced in yard however and he spends hours out there, he also loves to chase my cats around the house which tires him out alot. and yes when we go to bed i make sure he has some toys and chewies to keep him busy

TexasKat`s Photos

Wow he IS precocious. Only 9 weeks old and able to wait 7 hours between potty times overnight. That's great! AND he's waking you up when he needs to go potty. You have one smart little furbaby on your hands.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

good for you in trying to stick to your rules!!
    I'm sure the barking was ear splitting that time of the morning.
    Because you are trying to get him used to being by himself, I would keep him in his own bed for right now...he may continue the barking & you may have to get up & get the day started, but this may only last for a short time, it may seem like eons, but he will eventually adjust to your schedule, the older & more mature he gets.
    When Angel was a pup (our Aussie) she screamed, yes screamed for most if not all night. She was in a kennel in our bedroom...tha was nerve shattering. We left her in there, taking her out between her screams for her to go potty. After she finally settled down, 2 -3 weeks, don't remember because of sleep deprevision. She would relunctantly go into her kennel, whine a bit, then sleep. When she whined in the middle of the night to go outside, hubby would take her, let her do her thing & then as a reward let her cuddle in bed. At that point in time, she knew that we made the rules & that was her reward....she was good ever since then. Althought the first time she came in from going outside & she jumped on the bed because like your guy she wanted to play, as hubby was repremanding her & trying to get her back into her kennel, she managed to pee all over my head....guess it was time to get up & wash my hair anyway.....
    Keep trying, keep laughing, keep calm & patient...this too will pass

TexasKat`s Photos

One thing that it might help to know: Pyrs thrive on routine and ritual. That is, create a set routine for bedtime (once it becomes ingrained it turns into a 'ritual").

Do the same thing every night..... the exact same thing -- use the same words even.

Mine are always out 'guarding the backyard' at bedtime, so our 'routine" consists of:

1) Go outside and announce that "it's bedtime". "Hey guys, it's bedtime for puppies. Time to come inside and go to sleep", with a reminder to potty ("Scout, time to potty. Gypsy, you need to go potty, 'cos it's bedtime.") The first time Scout went to potty when I just mentioned 'bedtime", I felt like I'd finally "won".

2) Getting them into the house (usually with a few minutes of 'romping' thrown in -- lots of fun at 3 am). Similar play themes every night, depending on the mood - sometimes, it's 'lasso Scout" sometimes it's "dive for the backdoor" sometimes it's "rub my tummy, I know you can't pick me up 'cos I'm too big". Sometimes it's "lalalalalalala, I can't hear you."

3) After coming inside, they each get a spoonful of lite vanilla cream in a bowl and a couple of treats in their own little piles. I refill their water bowls, turn off my computer, turn off the TV if it's on. Scout fluffs up his bed in the family room in preparation for flopping down on it (funniest thing I ever saw), while Gypsy goes to the front door (her guard spot for the night).

4) Final goodnights addressed to each one individually with a couple of pets and a kiss on the head with "Sweet dreams for puppies, Goodnight, Scout" (or Gypsy).

5) I turn off the remaining lights that I don't keep on at night (there are several that I keep on), check the backdoor and front door and go upstairs, and close the bedroom door.

We started building this 'ritual' when they were very young and deviations (like not going to bed right away after I've called them in for the night) seems quite disconcerting to them.

They both must wear watches under all that fur too, so if I'm up after 'normal' bedtime hours working on a project, they'll push the backdoor in (it's usually closed but not latched) and start the bedtime ritual themselves.

Gypsy (for instance) will come stand by my desk and start smacking her lips together ("ice cream time, please").

This all gets easier, but consistency is key. The more routine you can build into your everyday interactions, the more they will be able to anticipate and accept what you want them to do. Pyrs are independent thinkers, but they also tend to appreciate the 'proper' way things are done. Proper is just "whatever" YOU decide it should be, but to them, it's familiar and comforting.

well we do have a morning routine (which is prolly why he gets upset if he wakes me up too early and i try to go back to bed)
    so far its been every moring he wakes me by scratching the top of my head raw and scabby while whining. i get up put on my house shoes and robe and say "outside". he runs to the back door and i let him out. sometimes he does his business and comes right back in unless there is something interesting out there or he just doesnt feel like it, he'll stay out for around a half hour.
    when he comes in we both go right to the kitchen counter (where his food bowl is kept) and i say "breakfast time" and put his bowl on the floor. he eats his fill and i put the bowl back up.
    then its "outside" again. this time coming in is immediately follwed by "play time" i sit on the floor with his favorite squeeky & rope toys until hes so worn out he just lays there watching me play with his toys.
    then its training time.we usually train for about an hour or unitl he gets bored and i dont have attention any more. then its nap time. the last 2 days after nap time it has been walk/leash training time which is not going so well.
    yesterday i dragged him around block. today he was a little more excited to go the front door instead of the back but still fought me. we got past the house to the mail boxes and another dog was tied up on someones porch and started barking. this scared the crap out of gandolf and he immediately laid down and cried. so i dragged him across the street to get away from the "scary dog" (which i think was a little beagle). tired to continue our walk but for some reason he started limping and favoring his foot. i checked his pads to make nothing was stuck in there, checked his toes, his legs and found nothing. tried to turn around so we could atleast walk back to the house but he wasent having it so i carried him home. once home i checked his foot again in better light and still found nothing. i yelled "outside" and he limped to the back door...but once the door was shut behind i watched him through the window....he limped of the porch and then proceeded to run and dig in his favorite spot in my garden...um yeah he's smart and knows how to work it lol

oh and so far our bedtime routine is...again i get on the floor and we play until he just lays there or his legs get all wobbley and he falls down while chasing his rope toy. then i say "outside", let him out. while hes out i turn off whatever is on, tv, lights exce. i think he knows even before he comes in that i turned everything off cause i usually have to caox him back in the house by petting my cat in front of him (which makes him crazy jealous) he bounds towards the door and proceeds to chase the cat. i go to the bedroom and take off my robe and turn on the tv, while i'm doing this he usually comes to the bedroom door to see what i am doing, once he sees the tv on and robe off he takes off into the livingroom where i have to chase him around until i catch him. i have to pick him up and carry him into the bedroom. i shut the door, turn off the light and crawl into bed. usually this was followed by him on the pillow above my head fusing, flopping, whining and kicking for about 45 minutes until he settled down and goes to sleep.

TexasKat`s Photos

Sounds like a full night/morning.

Whatever you plan on as a routine... be prepared for when Gandolf is 100+ pounds. Whatever you decide on as y'alls routine now, will stick with him when he's older and much bigger.

It's not all that easy to change it later, though it's possible.

Scout was a very reluctant 'walker'. Until Gypsy came along about a month after we first got Scout, he wasn't interested in it at all and like Gandolf, sat and refused to move.

After we got Gypsy (who is one week younger than Scout and willing to do anything), I'd put their collars on to go just down to the mailbox and back. Scout sat down and wouldn't budge. I told him he could stay, but we were going. Gypsy and I were gone a total of maybe 3 minutes, but that's all it took. The next time (and everytime thereafter) Scout is the first to want to go on a walk... er... uh... patrol.

Have you tried getting a friend to walk with you or to borrow a friend's dog? Sometimes it's just a matter of how strange the leash is..... You could try hooking it to his collar around the house and letting him drag it around with him for a couple of days. Then gradually take it to direct him where you want to go. Just be careful that he doesn't get it snagged on something.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

Sounds like a fun time! Just want to remind you, you have a very, very young dog. All of this behavior is typical of a puppy so patience (as Nick Spirit mentioned) is a must. Puppies are a LOT of work. I know you haven't gone through this before with a puppy but you got a really good one based upon your description (I was sleep deprived (as in one to two hours of sleep at most) for months with my Pyr and every other puppy I raised). It will get better (in some ways) and worse (in others...you picked a stubborn, impossible to train (unless you won the lottery) breed). That said, they are the best, independent, lovely, funny, odd, sweet dogs.