Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

I must be weird because my dogs can wake me up and I will let them out and then when I come back in with them I go and lay down and then they lay down with me and we fall right back to sleep. If I get up and stay up on a day that I am not working my dogs think I am sick.

Though today I slept through my alarm and I must say Monty and one of the cats were the ones to wake me up because, they knew I was suppose to be up.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Tsunibear, I think that reaction from your "kids" is one of maturity, they know you'll get up to let them out, but they respect that you still need some rest...it's the reaction we wish for when they are puppies!!
    I used to wonder if I wasn't making excuses for my Pyr's, until, like Davey, I learned!
    The first time Spirit whined at the door & I went out with her & she ran to a meadow that was 50 yards away....and chased a moose!!! How she knew it was there...just amazing. Of course I tried recall, running after her, boy was that a mistake, as then the moose was coming towards me
    I called a breeder that I had met in Seattle & asked what I should have done in that situation....her reply....run the other way...if you are no longer in danger then Spirit has done her job, will feel rewarded & proud of herself & will come & join you. I tried this later with a porcupine encounter....it worked!
    I learned that training Spirit was going to be a challenge, or maybe just a different thought process on my part. There were certain things I could direct her on, but for the most part she remained my guardian, & took her job seriously. It was a temperment that I came to understand was hers & learned to live with it for all of her 10 years with us.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Nancy even as puppies it was the same way with them. I think a part of it is I am up and down all night, every time I get up I take them out and I get up at least three times every night.

Though right now with how Monty has been feeling he will sit out randomly. Poor guy is asleep more then he is awake now.