Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

There were two threads recently about raw feeding. Here they are:

http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...5268#post55268

http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29815

I don't think they say it in the threads, but Maggie is a pup and so are Twin_guardian_angels' two little ones.

I don't feed raw to my current crew. They are fed kibble in the morning and home cooked at night. I don't follow strict recipes in my home cooking. I try to give a variety and hopefully cover all areas sufficiently. I decided not to go raw with these two because I really don't have a supply of cheap quality meat. Since Bijiou could not tolerate chicken for the longest time, that cuts out the most affordable type of meat available. With home cooked, they get about 50%-60% meat and the rest are carbs and veggies - I feed less meat that way

It wasn't until my first pyr was diagnosed with cancer that I came to the realization about her and processed foods. At that time I was so desparate to do anything for her I was feeding her organic chicken and turkey (she was allergic to red meat) and I didn't care how much it cost. Can't afford to do that long term with the current two!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Glycerin is okay to use on them but, like Jewel said with it being more then likely a food allergy it won't help much.

Monty my Shar Pei has cancer and his cancer is triggered by allergies so for him he is on shots and steroid pills. When they aren't too bad I just give him a benadryl and it helps. I would recommend an anti-histamine right now for her because, it is clearly an internal thing.

As far as feeding goes, I can't do a raw diet because, I don't have any local butchers to get good deals on meat. So my two are on a mostly kibble diet, now I do home cooked meals for them every once and awhile.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lou Lou's Avatar

Lou Lou`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Lou, I laughed when I read your post. I remember reading about the self-cleaning coat but when I saw it happen for the first time I was amazed! It was muddy and Tank had found himself a big puddle to play in, I had let him in all wet and muddy and by the time he dried he was white again. I wish my floor were self-cleaning also!!!
    Oh I know Krista. I shrugged it off when the breeder talked about it thinking, 'Yeah, whatever.' Then the first time he coated himself in mud I almost head a heart attack. I gave up and left him in the kitchen to return an hour later to a white puppy and a black kitchen floor the consistancy of a beach.

Is Sasha on a flea preventative? Just a question because with the thick Pyr coat they can be super tough/almost impossible to spot.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha1/2's Avatar

Sasha1/2`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Lou View Post
    Is Sasha on a flea preventative? Just a question because with the thick Pyr coat they can be super tough/almost impossible to spot.
    I bathed her with a pyrethrine pet shampoo, leaving it on for five minutes. She was also dewormed twice with Safeguard (fenbenzadole). I see no evidence of a parasite. Her puppy coat isn't that thick and her skin is easy to see when she's wet or when I brush her. Is there something else to prevent or treat parasites I can safely do for an 11 week old puppy? We have another dog and two indoor cats; none of them are scratching.

The vet we took her to was useless and she'll see someone else in two weeks for another exam and shot.

We don't usually worry about flea prevention here in the wintertime because it gets so cold and kills them off, but we've had a very mild winter.

Sasha was born in October on a farm. Mom and babies lived outdoors under the stairs to the home.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

When we brought Scout home at 6 weeks old (yes early I know)... called the vet to set up an appointment, took him in (immediately and without an appointment) for a quick 'weigh in' so they would get the dosage right and the first thing they gave me was a flea preventative /kill pill. (He was covered from being raised in a barn).

I used a lice comb to get them all out of his puppy coat, but within 24 hours they were all dead and he was flea free.

Sasha1/2`s Photos

Texas, from what you've written, I think I'd see fleas if Sasha had them. Right? We purposely went to a country vet thinking he'd know more about the kind of dog Sasha is and how she was raised before we got her. Big mistake.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Scout's fleas collected mainly on his face and nose and were pretty easy to spot (though not to remove since they disappeared into his fluffy puppy coat as soon as I tried to chase them with a comb). On a completely white dog, they're easy to see. On your Sasha, maybe not so easy.

I wonder if the shampoo you used may have caused her to be a little itchy. Have you bathed her in something like baby shampoo to get rid of the flea shampoo? Sometimes rinsing just isn't enough.

Sasha1/2`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by TexasKat View Post
    I wonder if the shampoo you used may have caused her to be a little itchy.
    The first day I brought her home she was very dirty and I bathed her in a puppy shampoo. She started to scratch after that and I worried she wasn't rinsed well so I rinsed her again and I added a conditioner. She kept scratching for a week and I tried a different, skin soothing dog shampoo and conditioner. That didn't help. Two weeks later I tried the pyrethrin flea shampoo, left it on for five minutes as directed, rinsed very well and then applied a conditioner. Shampoo does not seem to be the issue.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Wait a minute! How many times has she been bathed since you had her? How far apart were her baths? I do not recommend over bathing a dog, my vet gave me a special shampoo that had to be used on Missy every week for a month and then every other week for two months and you know what I told him? Not a chance in hell. I love my vet but, I do not agree with the over bathing of dogs. It takes them too long to get their natural oils back to their skin and coat...it takes at least 48 hours for them get enough oils back to put on a topical flea treatment on and 72 hours for them to start feeling right again.

Furthermore I don't like pyrethrin flea shampoos either because, they are harsh on the coat and skin. I will only use a citrus based flea shampoo on my dogs and the dogs at work. As far as flea treatments go I would call a vet like Kat suggested and have them give you something for her if you are worried about fleas.

If you have a heater on in your house you could be drying her coat out and if that is the case I would recommend giving her some kind of oil whether it be fish oil which I always recommend or flaxseed oil. My shar pei is a naturally oily dog and our heater is still drying out his skin enough to cause him to itch so I had to put him back onto fish oil.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Espinay's Avatar

Espinay`s Photos

Agree that it sounds like you may be over treating. Too many baths and two many chemicals (you have wormed her twice?). Possible she may be experiencing a chemical overload not helped by the stripping of all the oils from her coat. It may all be too much for her little system to cope with.
    Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs (Australia) - putting the Breed before breeding

www.espinay.com