Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lou Lou's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Lou Lou`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha1/2 View Post
    When and how will I know?
    You'll most likely see the greatest demonstration in the spring when the mud-bath season begins

After your pup coats herself quite eagerly and then is left in a dry space for about a half hour all the dirt just falls out of the hair. ...If it doesn't... well then you'll know LOL

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha1/2 View Post
    When and how will I know?
    The "self cleaning" feature of a pyr is actually usually thanks to their undercoat.

See on a dog with no undercoat or little to none like a Britteny Spaniel, Springer Spaniel, C0cker Spaniel and breeds like that tend to get dirty and stay dirty. The reason is they don't have that protective undercoat, undercoat tends to block things like dirt and sun rays from actually getting to the skin. So if just the top coat is covered in mud once the dog is dry you can just brush it and all the dirt falls off.

I don't know if you have ever gotten a Husky, Newfoundland or a pure bred Pyrenees wet but, when you get them wet they aren't really wet meaning you usually have to soak them to really get that undercoat wet. If you don't they will shake and then they are just damp. That is also why you have to really put emphasis on rinsing breeds with heavy undercoat off. I mean these are dogs that have this coat because, they were bred to be outside in some horrible weather. If they didn't have that undercoat Huskies wouldn't be able to stay dry enough to survive in the snow. Their top coat can freeze and they won't be bothered by that so long as their undercoat stays on the drier side.

So you will know if your little Sasha has that nice feature once she is about six months old or so. At that point you should be able to tell if she is going to have heavy undercoat or take after one of the other breeds in her background.

In my case I got lucky Missy is half Pyrenees half Bernese Mountain Dog both dogs have that nice coat feature so I didn't have to worry about whether or not she would have an easy up keep coat. I mean she goes outside for over an hour in the rain gets all icky and then comes in just damp and dries in like fifteen minutes.

Jewel and Kat the weather is the only turn off to any part of Texas so far. Seriously California is so expensive to live in. If it wasn't for the shop and my family I would have hit the road running.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    Jewel and Kat the weather is the only turn off to any part of Texas so far. Seriously California is so expensive to live in. If it wasn't for the shop and my family I would have hit the road running.
    At least our "Ground" stays where we put it!!!

Plus we make up for it by being populated with Texans.

Austin would be more like California than anywhere else in Texas so the culture shock wouldn't be as bad. But anywhere in Texas beats everywhere else.

Seriously tho back to the OP's question about how often to bathe the general recommendation I have always heard is about 2 to 3 times a year for a Pyr to prevent stripping the coat of it's oils. Mine go about every 3 to 4 months for the full blown bath and spa treatment but we also drop by to visit every 2 to 3 weeks just so "the girls" can visit with "the boys" . take Tsuni's article about groomers and use that as a guideline and go interview several groomers ... look for referrals and don't wait until she needs a bath to start looking take a few trips with her to visit the groomers so when it is bath time she is going to a familiar person in a familiar place. Lowers the stress level a lot.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    The "self cleaning" feature of a pyr is actually usually thanks to their undercoat.
    Soooo, is that why my purebred stayed white while my half pyr turned into a mud monster...

Oh wait, Bro DELIBERATELY covered himself in mud...

My two are bathed at least once a month. I can't help myself, I like fluffy coats.

Bro is half pyr and the other half is retriever/aussie. He has some undercoat but nothing like a pyr. So even if his coat isn't quite as self-cleaning as a purebred pyr, he is much easier to wash and dry.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

The hardest part of bathing my Pyrs (aside from the whole 'bigger than an elephant seal in the tub thing") is getting getting them wet all the way to the skin. They're certainly not used to getting soaked, so they give me such mournful looks. The second hardest thing to do is getting them to STAY wet.

Gyps and Scout get bathed in sections and sides, so even if I get the 'whole dog' wet, by the time I get to the 'next' section, it's half dried already and I have to soak them again. Bathtime is always an adventure.

Disclaimer: gave up on trying to bath them at home. They get taken to the self-dog-wash place. Gypsy would do fine at with a groomer, but Scout would freak.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Tank`s Photos

Lou, I laughed when I read your post. I remember reading about the self-cleaning coat but when I saw it happen for the first time I was amazed! It was muddy and Tank had found himself a big puddle to play in, I had let him in all wet and muddy and by the time he dried he was white again. I wish my floor were self-cleaning also!!!

Tsuni - I think you should move to OHIO!

~Krista

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Kat you are totally right it is hard to keep them wet. When I bathe Missy or the Newfoundland crew I am always running the water. Seriously I will get the whole dog wet completely wash the head, wet the body and the head again and then wash the body in two pieces still getting the head and first piece I washed wet again so the soap doesn't dry on the dog. Then I am rinsing for what feels like days.

When I bathe at home I have portable tub that connects to the hose outside it works great in the summer time when Missy decides to go swimming with me. I am lucky with Missy though her coloring hides almost all of the dirt. Once you put her in a tub and get wet though it looks like I never bathe her. Which we all know isn't the truth.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha1/2's Avatar

Sasha1/2`s Photos

Sasha is still itching like crazy. Since she doesn't seem to have any parasites, I'm thinking she may have an allergy. Allergies can take a while to figure out, I know. In the meantime, I'm trying to do something topical to give her relief. I have rubbed glycerine into her skin and coat. Is that safe? Unlike oil, it seems to get soaked right up and not leave her greasy.

Jewel`s Photos

I am sure Tsunibear will be able to address the glycerin question. But if the problem is allergies, from my own experience, there isn't much that can be done to relieve the itch other than removing the allergent (which you are already trying), or resorting to steroids (which I hate but it works like magic).

If Sasha is really suffering, if it were me, I would be willing to switch to raw and see if it helps. I realized too late with my first pyr that she was best off without any processed foods.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha1/2's Avatar

Sasha1/2`s Photos

Jewel, can you point me to some information on how to feed raw or homemade food to a puppy? I am nervous about giving her the best nutrition.