Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

Dog conditioner is made differently then people's conditioner.

I have had to wash my hair in dog shampoo before too, got to love the smell.

ISABELLA`s Photos

I give my dog a bath a least twice a week is that bad??

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

Wow, this is an old thread....

well, you wash your pyr way more than I wash mine. I have yet to bathe a Pyr. I just brush mine out.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

BC19`s Photos

Siege was getting a bath about once a week for the first 6 weeks we had him, but that was just because my 4 year old and the puppy would find things to put in his fur that needed to be washed out instead of brushed out. Since then he has had maybe two baths? Each were because once again my son and the dog found something to put in his fur that needed to come out immediately. The dog is getting better at running away I guess lol.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ISABELLA View Post
    Recommended frequency is 2 to 3 times a year if that often. Bathing them strips their coat of the oils that help make them self cleaning and that helps prevent matting of the coat. It also drys out the skin. These guys are pretty much self cleaning with just regular brushing.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ISABELLA View Post
    That's not good. It takes at least 72 hours for your dog to get back enough oil to cover her whole body if you bather her that often you are more then likely drying out her coat and skin. I only bathe Missy every 6-8 weeks and that's only because, I have to take her in already to get her feet trimmed due to foxtails. Other then that she is only bathed before I take her out in public.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Espinay's Avatar

Espinay`s Photos

Definitely wouldn't be bathing that often. Not good for the coat or skin and can create skin issues. Brush regularly, yes - replace the bathing with regular brushing 2 or more times a week. But every 6-8 weeks as a rule is ample for a bath. The more regularly you brush, the less they will need bathing anyway.
    Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs (Australia) - putting the Breed before breeding

www.espinay.com

Puppy (New Member)

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

Hi. Sorry for bumping this old thread, just an opinion. I hope it helps to some of you.

If the breeder is a show person and expects that the new pup will be kept in handstripped coat, it makes some sense to me.

You don't want the coat to soften or lift, so you don't wash much and when you do you use a drying coat or towel to make sure the coat doesn't lift.

I think dogs need to be washed when the need it. Could be weekly or a few times a year: https://petbibles.com/smelling-dog-shampoos/

I do a hand stripped Cairn that gets bathed about once a year unless he gets into something.

He doesn't smell, and his coat feels nice:

https://youtu.be/i7CdocUo3EI

My hand stripped Dandies got bathed around Christmas, and I was just thinking that they could use it again.

Hand stripped coats don't seem to get as dirty either. If you think the dog looks dingy wash it!