Old Dawg (Senior Member) dizzielizzieizme's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

dizzielizzieizme`s Photos

Default Food Allergies??

Hello All!

I picked up my little bundle of joy on Saturday and I am elated..I adore him and will post pictures soon..

The breeder called me when we were about an hour out and said that hurley had some crust and scabs on the edges of his ears that she did not notice earlier in the week, and that she called the vet and the vet said it could be two things: puppies teething and chewing on each others ears or food allergies..she asked if we still wanted him and of course we did..we weren't driving 5 freaking hours one way for nothing!

I was hoping it was just the teething things but there's no way it is and I am now thinking food allergies because he is itching and scratching CONSTANLY..he has now scratched scabs on his little elbows..

Does anyone here have a Pyr with a food allergy? How did you weed out what they were allergic to? What were their symptoms?

I am taking him to PetSmart unfortunately tonight because my vet closes at 5and I cannot leave work early at all this week because we are in the middle of an audit..

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

I have a dog with corn allergy. It is the most common. We feed grain Free Taste of the wild. We used to feed Castor and pullux Grain free, that was good too, but taste of the wild is a bit cheaper and has 5 stars over 4 stars and we switched.

I would try grain free, and go from there.

Jewel`s Photos

Congrats!! Okay, allergies could be a tricky issue to deal with. But some cases are easier than others to figure out. The proper way to go about it is do an elimination diet. If Hurley is itching horribly, if it were me, I might resort to immediate food change and hope he won't have digestive issues. I would try one of the made for allergies formulas, Wellness has an allergy line so does Natural Balance. They are called something like single source or limited ingreditents formulas. Dogs can be allergic to grains or particular proteins. The Wellness allergy line I believe uses rice as the single carb source while the Natural Balance uses potatoes. Since rice is technically a grain, personally I would try Natural Balance. Pick a protein source that is not contained in what the breeder was feeding him. Read the label of the breeder's food carefully to make sure you catch all of the animal sources contained in the food so that you know exactly what all to avoid.

You want to use limited ingredients because it would then be easier to narrow down what it is that the pup is allergic to. My first pyr was allergic to all red meat and oats. So, for dogs like that, limited ingredients would be easier in figuring out the allergents.

edit to add: I would not use Taste of the Wild at this point as TOTW uses several different protein sources in each of its formulas. I could not use TOTW at all because Bijou was terribly intolerant of chicken and the TOTW formulas even though labeled as redmeat formula contain chicken anyway.

more edit to add: some dogs have flea allergies and even one flea can cause terrible itching so there is the possibility that it could be flea allergies rather than food. on that note, some dogs have environmental allergies - to pollen, grasses, fungus, trees, dust, you name it. that's why I say allergies can be tricky.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy is allergic to fleas. One flea bite and she gets scabs, digs at herself like crazy and starts to lose her coat.

I would recommend doing a food change and then giving him a good bath with oatmeal shampoo and make sure to condition him as well. That way you can see if he has any bugs on him or any other scabs hiding under his cute puppy fluff.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

We had food allergy issues with our puppy Hank when he first came home. After much trial and error we ended up on Natures Recipies Sensitive Skin formula. It is a mid range food, but, that is okay because those ratings are for dogs and these are Pyrs another thing you can do is Benadryl although I always lower the weight based dose because they are puppies and they are Pyrs (slow metabolism) I would recommend discussing the Benadryl with your vet assuming he is conversant in Great Pyrs and their inclination to need to be medicated differently. My vet and I have always taken the undermedicate and slowly increase dosage to effect rather than go with recommended dosage and risk over medication.

This will give the pup some short term relief and give you time to get it under control and prevent skin infection then proceded to the food trials which is the only way you will be able to address this long term. Maybe go to an ultra bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or boiled hamburger and potatoes and then start introducing the desired kibble and watch for reactions.

Hank tolerated the boiled / baked chicken ... in fact it is one of his favorite dishes, but he can not to this day tolerate any chicken based kibble. He will start scratching within a couple of hours.

Hope this helps and you get that poor baby some relief soon.

Kay`s Photos

My pyr has allergies - both seasonal (pollen) and food (poultry, eggs, nuts, rice, and possibly corn). He tends to be itchy by his mouth, on his tail and also armpits (legpits?); licking and scratching until hot spots form. He also has a runny nose, red eyes and loose poop. If fed poultry, he tend to vomit anything he eats with 'controlled' diarrhea (no indoor accidents) - he needs to 'reset' his digestive system by eating oatmeal for a day and things are back to normal.

For determining the food allergy, my vet recommended that I eliminate all treats and either 1) feed ground beef and rice diet for a few weeks (two things dogs usually aren't allergic to) or 2) change to a food with only one protein source that is not in his current food/treats. It can take a month or so until you see improvement. Because my Trav got worse on beef and rice, I fed him beef and oatmeal for two weeks and then transitioned to Orijen 6 Fish. After a month of still itching, my vet started him on 3 weeks of steroids. Overnight all his symptoms went away. Once the allergies were under control, I added one new food at a time, monitoring for symptoms (which is how I determined his allergy list above). I keep a journal of issues, food intake and any other changes.

Your little guy could also have flea or seasonal allergies - then the oatmeal baths that Tsuni recommends would help. Beside oatmeal baths, I use EQyss Micro-Tek spray and shampoo (horse products that help heal skin and smell really nice).

Old Dawg (Senior Member) dizzielizzieizme's Avatar

dizzielizzieizme`s Photos

Well it wasn't a food allergy-It's freaking scabies!! I am so upset..Not only was Hurley in pain by his ears and miserable from all the scratching, he's contagious so I have to try to keep him away from the other dogs and guess what? I got it too now! I contacted Marty (our breeder) and she only offered to pay for the meds of Hurley's which is better than nothing but I am upset that she didn't notice the issue until 30 minutes before I went to pick him up and I am upset she didn't offer to pay for the full treatment. But it is what it is..I just hate my little boy is so miserable right now until the treatment takes full effect

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

That bites Lizzie I am sorry.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I guess the good news is that you know what it is & that it's treatable....but not so good that you & Hurley have to go through this.
    My first dog which was a Schipperkee had some spots on her that looked as if she was going bald...her fur kind of just fell off of her. Well, she had ringworm...and guess who had a nice dose right along with her....I guess the good news with that one was that I was contagious so I couldn't go to work!