Old Dawg (Senior Member) Andrea's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Brown discoloration in corner of the eye

Luca has developed that discoloration in her eye a couple of months ago. It doesn't seem to affect her view or even hurt. Just wondering what it could be and if you think I need to have it checked by a vet!?

Andrea
    If your dog thinks you are the best, do not seek a second opinion! Unknown

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Athena's Mom`s Photos

I have no answer for you, but Athena has it, too, in both eyes. Our vet didn't mention it when we brought her in for her first visit after we adopted her. I am interested to hear what your vet says. Keep us posted. Thanks.

Lisa

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

From all I've read about that situation, something I've seen with one or two of my dogs, it's probably not anything to worry about. Just keep a watch on the spot and make sure it doesn't grow, or get any worse.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Some Pyrs have more discoloration from their mucous production than others. My Sebastian (on the right) develops more of the reddish discoloration than Isabella (this was after a day at the groomers the previous day since my nephew was going to visit - note the reddish discoloring on his front legs - he rests his head on his front legs while sleeping). He gets it around his eyes and on his front bib and legs. Some of have mentioned it could be the food, but we've tried different foods with no success. We just have a steady supply of Quiksilver whitening shampoo on hand, trim his bib once a month, and keep our local groomer in business.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Just looked at Holly's eyes & her right one has a discoloration in it similar to Luca's.....never noticed it before, but it doesn't seem to bother her...so we won't bother with it! I don't think it's anything to be concerned over, unless she is tearing or bothering it....I certainly don't think it's worth a trip to the vets....just my opinion

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Those are tear stains. They don't cause any pain or discomfort at all to the dog. All dogs get them, you just don't see them on black or brown dogs as much as you do on white dogs. They are caused by an acid/chlorine in their tears and saliva. That is also why some dogs have reddish brown feet usually they are licking their feet and that is what is staining them. There are products out there that help with the staining, to the point where it is no longer there. Angel Eyes is a big named product out there that fights those stains. What they do is lower the acid/chlorine levels in their tears and saliva. Some people think giving their dogs bottled water instead of tap water helps lighten it up but, I don't buy that.

When Missy was 5 months old and her face was really white I had her on Angel Eyes and it kept her face nice and white, it worked really well for her. It also helped keep her feet white because, at the time she was licking really bad due to an allergy.

If it doesn't bother you seeing it then I wouldn't worry about it personally.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Look at the photo again....I think Andrea is talking about the brown spot below the iris in Luca's eye....not the area around her eye
    Andrea Is that what you are concerned about?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I see that spot now. It looks like a blood vessel at first.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Andrea's Avatar

Yes, I mean that brown dot on the white of the eye. It just appeared a couple of months ago. It's only noticeably when she looks up otherwise you can't even see it. She doesn't tear nor is her eye watery. I really don't think much of it, just wanted to get some opinions here since there are a lot of people with more knowledge about dogs than me
    Andrea
    If your dog thinks you are the best, do not seek a second opinion! Unknown

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    Yes, I mean that brown dot on the white of the eye. It just appeared a couple of months ago. It's only noticeably when she looks up otherwise you can't even see it. She doesn't tear nor is her eye watery. I really don't think much of it, just wanted to get some opinions here since there are a lot of people with more knowledge about dogs than me
    Oops...sorry about that. All of my dogs, including Pyrs, I've owned have had spots at one time or another in the scleras. They are like moles, sun spots, or freckles and are not harmful unless they are fibrous.