Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Smile How fast does Pyr hair regrow?

Hi, my name is Brenda and my husband Bob and I have 3 Pyrs - Maggie (2 years old), Thor (8 months old), and Snow (3 years old). We are new to this forum. We just adopted Snow from a shelter last week. His hair was so matted the groomer had to close clip him. I don't think the poor boy had been brushed in his entire life. The groomer said the matted coat came off like a thick blanket. His hair is now about 1/4 of an inch long all over his body. I don't advocate close clipping/shaving but in this case we had no choice. He is a house dog and only goes out to potty early in the morning or after the sun goes down, as I don't want him to get sunburned. How long do you think it will take for his hair to grow out? We are in NW TN and the weather starts getting colder in October/November, sometimes earlier. Thanks for any information you can share.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

hi Brenda.. Tsunibear will be giving ya some pointers for sure

Terry

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lou Lou's Avatar

Lou Lou`s Photos

Tsuni is a good person to answer this. Chicago_Red too because I think he's dealt with a few bald Pyrs in rescue. I'm sure either one will give you their best guesstimate once they see this.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

In 6 weeks you will have a slightly fuzzier pyr, in 8 weeks you will have about 1/2 inch but, he will be no where near a standard coat. For the coat to go back to what it should be can take up to 6 months or longer considering the undercoat and overcoat grow at different speed.

What I recommend is making sure you are feeding a high quality food because that will help his coat grow in at a nicer rate then something that is all filler. There are also products out there that promote hair growth. I know you aren't worried about the coat looking normal you just want him to be protected against the elements.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Good food and a bit more of it as it cools off, he will be fine for winter.

Brenda, I just adopted two pyrs that had to be shaved by the shelter due to mats and a tick infestation.

Duke at the shelter when shaved:

Daisy at the shelter:

Duke six weeks later at my house:

Daisy six week later at my house:

I was suprised when we went to pick them up how much their coats had grown. We adopted them having only seen the shelter pictures I posted.

Jaspersmom`s Photos

Hi! I don't know if I am in the right forum so here goes. My Jasper had to have a buzz cut at the end of this past April which I was kind of reluctant but I am now disabled and could not get his mats out. The rest of his fur is growing normally except for a strip down his back to the top of his rear is taking its sweet time in growing back. This has never happened to Jasper before. Should I be worried? Thank you, Debbie

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Debbie, since I've never had a shaved Pyr, this isn't a question I can honestly help with...however...
    I am bumping this to get the attention of others who may have had similar experiences....

maybe the longer guard fur takes awhile to come back...after all you are only talking about 3 months right now...

hope he's at least comfortable with those mats gone, and hope you are doing well...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Okay my first question for you Debbie is how old is he? When is the last time you had his thyroids checked out? Irregular hair growth like that can sometimes be caused by a thyroid problem so it's always safe to get that checked out. If his thyroids are all clear brush that spot daily cause that will help promote hair growth and start giving him supplements like fish oil, vitamin E and Omega 3's and fatty acid. It's possible that the hair may never grow back either because, he is a double coated dog and they aren't meant to be shaved, the goal is a healthy diet will help avoid this though.

Jaspersmom`s Photos

Default Reply For Jasper

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    Okay my first question for you Debbie is how old is he? When is the last time you had his thyroids checked out? Irregular hair growth like that can sometimes be caused by a thyroid problem so it's always safe to get that checked out. If his thyroids are all clear brush that spot daily cause that will help promote hair growth and start giving him supplements like fish oil, vitamin E and Omega 3's and fatty acid. It's possible that the hair may never grow back either because, he is a double coated dog and they aren't meant to be shaved, the goal is a healthy diet will help avoid this though.
    Thank you. First Jasper is 10 years old and this has never happened before having been shaved because of mats. I am disabled so it has been hard for me to keep up with his fur. Just a few weeks ago he went in for his physical and shots and all is good. He is due for his Bordetella August 12. He does have a fibroid benign tumor at the top of his chest. He is double coated and I always knew Pyrenees to be double coated. He does eat a healthy dog food for weight control too.

I read in a couple different places online (from breeders) that some Pyrenees' fur takes longer in areas to grow back calling it "ugly duckling period" and it will grow back. There are no sores in the slow growing area, he is chipper as usual does his guarding of him mom (me), has a very good appetite, make sure he is kept cool in the house and is happy. Thank you, Debbie, Jasper's mom