Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Pyr as an indoor dog

I'm considering several dogs for adoption that are currently incarcerated at the local Humane Society. There's a beautiful Pyr at the shelter that's 4 years old and seems very well behaved. The previous owners brought her to the shelter because she was a backyard escape artist. There is also a mention in her dogfax report of chewing tendencies. I currently live in a house, but I have no fence in my backyard. If given the proper exercise and attention is this breed at all suited to living indoors?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

That's a tough one. This time of year, mine are inside about 80% of the time -- they take the initiative to patrol the perimeter of the house protecting it from grizzly bears (not really, I'm in an Austin suburb), an hour+ on a walk and about an hour in the early morning wrestling and playing in the yard.

Do you have access to places to go for walks? What is your work schedule like.

More important than how many hours a Pyr is outside is the number of hours they spend outside of a crate. If you work from home or can arrange for frequent free time to walk or exercise him, you should be okay. You CANNOT chain them outside or leave them unattended without a fence.

P.S. Pyrs will chew on stuff when they're bored or not exercised enough. Mine haven't chewed anything they shouldn't since they were about 6 months old.

Puppy (New Member)

I don't work at home, but I do work close enough that I generally come home for lunch. As for activity areas or places to walk I live in S. Austin and there are many places nearby. It almost seems like torture to keep a herding animal in a crate though. Is it generally absolutely necessary to crate this breed when unattended indoors for an extended period? I may approach the shelter and see if there is a foster type option... I know some of these questions are dog specific and that would probably be the only way to find out.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lou Lou's Avatar

Lou Lou`s Photos

My Ralphie is definitely an inside dog. He sleeps inside every night, both dogs stay indoors while we work during the day. You get lots of hair but that's to be expected.

Ralphie is also a big chewer, and we needed to work on letting him know what was appropriate to chew and what was not. Ex. Our couch, shoes and door trim were not acceptable (and he did destroy alot) his antler chews, Kong, tree roots outside were all fine. He still has a bit of an issue with my fiance's sandals but weirdly never makes a move for mine, I think it might be related to his habit of licking hubby's feet Weird dog. We do keep him gated in the kitchen during the night for minimizing damage as he tends to get wandering gums during the night when left with free reign. As well the gating discourages midnight patrols which wake up my fiance.

Like TK said, don't expect to be able to leave her offleash or unattended outside. One or two walks a day I would think work for most Pyrs and would keep them satisfied and calm indoors.

ADD- Just saw your post below. A Pyr isn't actually a herding breed. They're a guardian breed, bred to protect the flocks rather than move them. They're actually pretty low energy unlike most herding breeds which tend to be on the intense scale of energy. I would start off with crating because it'll probably save you some bucks when it comes to damage control with chewing.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

myzoe`s Photos

Welcome. Our Zoe is almost 6 1/2 months & has been amazing inside the house. We have a good size yard, but still not fenced either. She's on a leash at all times when we go outside (6' for bathroom breaks or a 16' for playtime), so we're attached at all times. At night we go for really long walks when the sun goes down & cools down a bit. She loves that too, but loves being indoors lounging in the AC, lol. She is never, ever tied outside and is always hooked to someone (usually me). I wonder if the chewing happens when she's been left alone. She certainly sounds sweet! Pyrs will always be my pick. Everything you read or hear about them is true.

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks so much for the responses. I plan on returning to the shelter tomorrow. I almost feel like I should adopt this poor dog just to get her out of the heat!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

I'm in south Austin as well -- Shady Hollow.

No you absolutely don't need to crate her all day, but you might consider investing in a gate so that you could gate off an area (like the kitchen/living area). That's how mine spend their nights. Pyrs mostly sleep during the day anyway. They go out to potty once or so during the day (and there are always the announcement barks for what's going on in the neighborhood, but it sounds like your schedule is pretty good for her.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. The people on this discussion board are wonderful and a couple are very involved in Pyr rescue -- so you can get lots of solid advice here.

Pyrs aren't really dogs, you know. Sometimes general breed shelters can't answer specifics, but feel free to ask ANYTHING.

Bless you for considering rescuing a Pyr.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Tank`s Photos

Good luck! I hope we get to see some pictures

Tank is a year and is a mostly inside dog. We are lucky to have an invisible fence around the yard that works great and he stays out all day while I am at work. We do keep him in one main area with a baby gate. He is sneaky around the rest of the house when we let him roam. I'm just not able to trust him yet He is my shadow though. So get ready to be watched in everything you do if you get this dog

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Both of my current Pyrs arrived at our regional rescue as strays and were both obviously outdoor only dogs in their previous lives. Today, they are indoors 95% of the time. They both spend some time outside with us in the mornings, and potty breaks, but they prefer to be indoors, especially now that it's really hot. Also, my male hates the rain and resists going outside when it's raining.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Tank`s Photos

Now, I'm really jealous Vin. Tank loves the rain and insists on going out whenever it rains and loves to go out in the middle of storm. We use potty bells to go outside and we have to take them off the door in a storm because Tank won't stop ringing them to go outside. And then he gives mean stares if you don't respond to the ringing

~Krista