Current Great Pyrenees Owner

aj&bo_2011`s Photos

Question Any tips for grooming?

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for grooming and ways to encourage them to enjoy it rather than fight it. I read to do it when they are sleepy and one site said to use the rake, slicker, and then soft brush. I am really nervous about cleaning the ears and trimming the nails. My grandma gave me a nail grinder thing which I figure will probably scare him more than anything.

Snuggling with Bo at 5.5 weeks old. They are so fluffy!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

Start young and make grooming fun. Missy got a bath, brush, nails done, sani, feet trimmed and bows in her hair the first day I got her. She was a trooper for it all. I mean I cleaned her ears and blow dried her and the whole time I offered treats and praise.

Now when she sees my grooming table she automatically jumps onto it and waits for her treats and praise.

As for tools I recommend using a slicker brush and a metal comb for awhile. You won't have to pull out the crazy tools until he starts getting a thick long coat. Since he is a baby go slow just brush him for five minutes a day. Then in a month make it longer and so on and so forth.