Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member) DesolayNaturn's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

DesolayNaturn`s Photos

Default When do they stop growing?

Hello,

My male Great Pyr is a year old and he is not that big.... He probably weighs over a hundred pounds, but I am not positive because I haven't had to take him to the vet for several months now because he has everything done. How long is he going to grow for?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

By about 18 months they will be pretty much done getting taller, they might bulk up a little more past that.

I sometimes drop by my clinic (which isn't too far away) just to "weigh in". They keep a scale right up front, so it's no bother, no appointment necessairy.

A hundred lbs is pretty heavy, my male looks pretty large and he's is fairly heavy at 95 lbs.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Jewel`s Photos

Pyrs vary greatly in size. Thus every dog is going to be different. By 12 months a pyr will have hit most of its height growth. By 18 months they will usually have reached their maximum height. A pyr will continue to fill out (sideways, not in height) until it is about 4 yrs old.

If when you are referring to your dogs as not be "that big" you are talking about his height, then you need to make sure he's not carrying too much weight. Check this thread to see how to measure your dog's height properly: http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...9721#post49721

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Linsul's Avatar

Linsul`s Photos

Boy do they ever vary. Ahsoka is almost 13wks and weighs a little over 22lbs. Vet says she's a good weight for her size though, and when I look at her I think she's on the skinny side. I googled it and found all these 3 month pyrs at 15lbs. I'm going to try and measure her tonight, but I'm not worried about it.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Scout and Gypsy are only a week apart in age. At 3 months, Scout was twice Gypsy's size -- both in height and weight. Most assumed Gypsy was half Scout's age, just based on size.

The disparity in their sizes continued until about 6 months. Gypsy began to catch up. Though still a little on the small size (she's about 26 inches tall), Scout is only about 5 inches 'taller' than Gypsy now that they're almost 2 years old.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy has slowed down a lot on the growing now that she is over two years old. She is still filling out though and everyone who sees her can tell. She is by no means a small lady. Then again she is also a mutt which might not help her case.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Sam and Lucy's Mom`s Photos

Linsul - the puppy sizes to vary a lot. Lucy was 26 lbs at 7 weeks and continued to be on the large side. Now she's 6 months and weighs nearly 70 lbs..which from the numbers I've seen is pretty average. She actually lost about 4 lbs the two weeks before she was fixed. It was so hot here for a few weeks that they both ate less. Then the week after being fixed she had gained that back and more. What baffles me is that she is growing that much on 4 cups a day and I give her treats..but not an excessive amount. I know a girl who has a pyrenean mastiff and she feeds him 8-9 cups a day. Though I am betting that it's not high quality food..but still.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

they actually stop????

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SuzMiron's Avatar

SuzMiron`s Photos

Good information to know, I was wondering myself. I can't accurately remember how big Shiya's parents were, so at 7 1/2 months here, I thought maybe she was done growing up but still would be growing out.
    I had been advised to grow this large breed slowly...but honestly, I don't know how you slow growth down! I have been careful in trying to keep her at a weight that I can easily feel her ribs. In a conversation with her breeder, she told me that she had been wondering how these pups (the litter that Shiya was in) would do, because they were so big right from the start.
    I can't say how tall Shiya is now in a measurement, but her back is now level with the dining room table (which is your average table height) and when we are walking, my fingers can just graze her back without a stretch.
    Shiya helped herself to a slice of cantaloupe this morning. We let her have it because she had already taken it, rather than throw it away. She was cute to watch as she ate it. She took her time with licking the juices and nibbling at the flesh. She didn't eat the rind. Just so delicate like a little lady. I think I'll let her have melon right along with me for breakfast now

Puppy (New Member)

Default Sampson

Our Great Pyr just turned 8 months old and weighed in at 115 LBS yesterday. He's 31" at his withers. He is trim and extremely strong. Doesn't look like he's slowing down in growth (height/length). He played with a 2-year-old male Great Dane today and was noticeably bigger. So, just as it is with people... they come in a range of heights/lengths/weights and grow at different rates. I was told he may top out around 160-165 lbs. I read that if you double their 6-month-old weight you will have a ballpark figure for his full-grown weight. (Sampson was 85 lbs at 6 months old... and not fat, either. Very furry).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01-10-13 (7.1).jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	1203