Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Rescued GP behaviour question

Hi, we've now had our beloved Ox for about 3 weeks or so. I'm so glad he came to our home, what an awesome dog! But....we have a few problems. He doesn't eat! He eats enough to stay alive but that's it. Ox doesn't even like dog treats. I get him to eat his dog food by adding beef or turkey chunks and he only eats at night. He's lost weight but other than that seems healthy enough. I've never had a dog that isn't food oriented so I'm not sure how to work on training. He doesn't need much. He also completely freaks out at all new sounds, especially sirens. Luckily in our area we only get sirens once a week or so. I'm really nervous about the 4th. Probably benadryl. Any ideas how to help him adapt? Angela

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

This is very common when a dog is in a new place. I can tell you this as someone that has fostered for years.

Given him time and love. He will not starve to death. He needs to feel more comfortable. Also in the summer, some Pyrs eat less. Mine has never been a big eater. He eats about two cups a day. He is fine and healthy. They do have a slow metabolism. Give hims some time and lots of love.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Topper's Avatar

Topper`s Photos

What I have done in the past is put them in there kennel or a room, then put music on.