Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SuzMiron's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

SuzMiron`s Photos

Default cleaning the ears

I have read that pyrs are susceptible to ear infections. I have been trying to keep her ears clean, but as I have complained in the past; she is not cooperative with grooming. I was cleaning her ears this morning, the left ear looks great, but the right ear has a lot of muck in it. so I have been trying to get it out of that deep cavern with a wet washcloth. I realized there is a lot in there, so I asked my girlfriend how she cleans her labs ears. She uses white vinegar and water, equal parts, and squirts it in with a contact solution bottle. So I did that. I massaged gently and let her shake her head outside. There is still muck in there. When I tried to get it out with a wet washcloth again, she whined a bit. I don't know if it is tender or if she is just being a baby about it. The ear itself does not look inflamed. It still sounds squishy when I massage so there must still be fluid in there. I didn't use a lot...I was barely able to get it in there.
    So I'm here again seeking guidance on ear care. How do you all clean your pyr's ears? I'm thinking I may bring her in or at least make a call on Monday. The office is closed this weekend.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I clean Missy's the same way I clean Monty's my shar pei who seems to always have an ear infection. I use Original Listerine Gold one day and Peroxide the other. I squirt one of the solutions in massage let them both shake the gunk to the top as well as the liquid and then wipe away. What is left in the ear dries up due to alcohol being in it.

SuzMiron`s Photos

Tsunibear, thank you and how do you do that? Full strength with each? Do you do the listerine in one day and then follow up with the peroxide in the next day?

SuzMiron`s Photos

as a follow up, the ear is clean now and looks good but she isn't happy with me right now either. sheeeeeeeeeesh. I am hoping some day she will like being groomed and melt like butter in my lap over the brushing like the rest of your pyrs! It's not like I am not gentle.... I knew I would need to groom her alot, and I was good with that...it's the biting and scratching at me and the running around in circles with her that makes me crazy! I never in my life had a dog that resisted being brushed and combed out so much!!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

SuzMiron
    Not all Pyr's liked to be groomed...out Holly will only tolerate it for so long, and when I try to do the back leg area....she's really not happy!! I try to be gentle, but then I think I get too agressive and then she just gets tired of having her fur pulled out by a dematter or a comb!!
    So you are not alone...I feel your frustration
    And she may have an ear infection going on if she whines and isn't happy right now, they can be bothersome & hurt. But if the ear appears cleaner & she's not shaking her head, you may have helped with the ear cleaning solutions.

SuzMiron`s Photos

Oh thanks Nancy, not that I like it, but I'm glad I don't have the only pyr that resists being groomed.
    Yep, her ear is good to go now. It's clean, doesn't look red or inflamed, and she isn't acting at all like she has an ear infection...although i understand the stoicism of the breed. It never did smell infected, just a yucky brown wax build up.
    K, off to bake an apple pie now...and hope no pyr hairs float in it. We're having a dinner guest

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I use them full strength and never lead a lot of it either. It is literally one day Listerine one day and the next day peroxide. Now days I only do it twice a week for Missy and stick with everyday for Monty cause his allergies cause his ears to get infected.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Dee Dee Ro's Avatar

Dee Dee Ro`s Photos

Pyr hair is just a fact of life around here; tastes pretty good, actually, but I imagine it's an acquired taste. It's pretty obvious that I own a Pyr by the telltale sparkly hair on me....Pretty puzzled by Dee Dee's ear wax thing. It's not mites, just an icky brown yucky, with no smell. I've tried everything for a quick fix, have now decided ear cleaning is going to be an almost daily part of her grooming routine. I've tried vinegar, tried tea tree oil, aloe drops, mineral oil on cotton swabs (worked for rabbit's ears when I was a kid-but that was mites). The vinegar seems to break down the wax the best, but she sure doesn't like it, it seems to burn her. The tea tree oil/aloe/cammomile is the most soothing for her, but not that effective. Anybody got any ideas for a healing compromise?
    Last edited by Dee Dee Ro; 06-11-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lilmamamudd's Avatar

Lilmamamudd`s Photos

I have to trim Emma's ear hair to keep the buildup down, otherwise it gets to be a daily job
    Being trained by Pyr...

SuzMiron`s Photos

Thanks Tsunibear. I may have to try that. We had a friend over for dinner this evening and he thinks Shiya has ear mites. Will these home remedies take care of that if it is so? He seems to think I'll have to get drops from the Vet. She doesn't seem to be disturbed...but I will have to increase ear cleaning, I can see that!
    Dee Dee, you are so funny! Yep, I seem to be wearing pyr hair all of the time myself. But who cares? She's worthy.
    Tomorrow we introduce her to camp! Woohoo!