Young Dawg (Member) tubbs dewclaw's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Pyr Growth Charts?

Anyone know of a growth chart to see where a pyr should be in height weight for a given age (like they have for our kids). I'm told Pyrs grow for 2 years and I'm wondering where my pup is on the chart and how much bigger he'll get. At 8 months he's a very lean 100 pounds and 30" at the shoulder. His parents are purebred (dad's was a papered AKC) so I thouhgt he'd max out at 31-32 and 125 but if he's got 16 more months of growing...

Jewel`s Photos

Due to the different bloodlines with different growth rates, there are really no "should be's" of when a dog should be what height/weight at a given age. Is Tubs neutered or intact? If neutered, when was it done? That would make a difference to growth as well.

Most pyrs will reach most their height by 12 to 15 months, some may still grow taller after that, but usually not by a whole lot. A dog from a fast growing line can reach full height by the time they are 9 months old. But a dog from a slow growing line can take much longer to reach full height.

Pyrs actually don't reach full physical maturity until they are about 4 yrs old. They will have reached their full height early on, but they will continue to fill out, chest, shoulders, hips until they are 4.

Young Dawg (Member) tubbs dewclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Due to the different bloodlines with different growth rates, there are really no "should be's" of when a dog should be what height/weight at a given age. Is Tubs neutered or intact? If neutered, when was it done? That would make a difference to growth as well.

Most pyrs will reach most their height by 12 to 15 months, some may still grow taller after that, but usually not by a whole lot. A dog from a fast growing line can reach full height by the time they are 9 months old. But a dog from a slow growing line can take much longer to reach full height.

Pyrs actually don't reach full physical maturity until they are about 4 yrs old. They will have reached their full height early on, but they will continue to fill out, chest, shoulders, hips until they are 4.

Thanks! Good info. FWIW, He was fixed early (@ 6 1/2 months old).

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Sam and Lucy's Mom`s Photos

Lucy at 29 weeks is 72 lbs. She had two weeks where she didn't gain weight. She gained 7 lbs in about 3 weeks.

Puppy (New Member)

I have 2 female Pyr pups that came to us at 11 weeks. I have also been looking for pyr pup growth charts, just to see if my beasts are on track. Below is the weekly weights of the girls. They have completely different builds and personalities, Zaius is lanky and a little smaller of the two and built like her mother who was about 95 lbs. Ursa is built like her dad (about 150 lbs), stocky and thick. Both dogs are working guardians for my chickens and turkeys.

weeks. Ursa lbs.....Zaius lbs

They are both sweethearts and great dogs so far and get along with our other dog and cat beautifully. They are easier to train than I'd thought although we're still working on recall and stopping Zaius from wanting to play with the chickens.