Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yawning Whine

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Sam and Lucy's Mom`s Photos

Default Yawning Whine

A few days ago Lucy started a high pitched almost whine when she yawns. She seems to be fine..eating well..same temperament. Is it just a noise that she makes when she yawns..or is it because something hurts when she yawns? Any ideas??

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

How old is Lucy?

Some dogs do whine or wistle when they yawn, with regular consistancy. My last border collie would do it all the time. And she was a girl who was always yawning.

We have a thread somewhere about yawning. It's was informative to me. I think maybe it was Jewel who mentioned that a yawn in a dog does not necessarily mean the dog is tired or bored, sometimes they force a yawn as a doggie language that means "you neither threaten me, nor am I a threat to you... I'm completely indifferent" It's a dissarming gesture. I never really thought about it untill then. I started watching my dogs more closely and sure enough...

See, can teach an old dog new tricks.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lou Lou's Avatar

Lou Lou`s Photos

Like Davey said, some will have a high pitched tone to a yawn. Like the sound of squeaky brakes on a car, or a bus stopping.

It can be a pacifying gesture. When Ralph does the toned yawn it seems to be in convincing people he's not trying to hurt them as opposed to when he's just yawning. If he accidently knocks someone over while excited he'll use the high tone, or if he plays too roughly with another dog he'll yawn that way and then hop into a playbow, like "Sorry! Not trying to hurt you! See, I just want to play!"

It could be a nervous thing. If she feels like you're being too intimidating she could be saying, "I'm not going to hurt you." Higher pitched sounds are associated with smaller non-threatening dogs and puppies. It might just be the way she yawns. Ralph's pretty vocal and will grumble and groan, it could be a noisy little quirk.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lilmamamudd's Avatar

Lilmamamudd`s Photos

My last dog did that all the time, drove me nuts, it was his attention whine, he always did it when things weren't going his way, like if he was on a long down, or if I was heading out, or if he wanted in and when we were walking tooo slow for his liking etc, Emma does it when she sees me getting my stuff on or when she is bored, or when I won't let her off leash.. it drove me batty from him, but her I can ignore it as she does it almost in a whisper :P
    Being trained by Pyr...

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

NickRich`s Photos

Smokey has started doing this in the mornings when he is stretching on his way out to do his business in the yard. Always cracks me up.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lilmamamudd's Avatar

Lilmamamudd`s Photos

Lol, I guess it depends on the personality, my last dog did as much as he could to irk me, Emma makes a point to yawn/whine when she says HEY I WALKED GOOD NUFF, LET ME SNIFF!
    Being trained by Pyr...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy doesn't do anything like that but, Monty does. He does it when he wants to play with Missy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Sam and Lucy's Mom`s Photos

Lucy is 15 months. I thought it may be boredom or wanting my attention. I have peroneal tendinitis that isn't going away so the doc has me in a boot. I haven't been able to walk her for a few days and our playing is a little less rambunctious because I am off balance..so I could see why she is bored. My schnauzer has dug a hole to the neighbors yard 3 times in this process as well. I don't thing they will behave for the next 2 weeks. Probably need to find a dog walker. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't pain. Thanks

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Sam and Lucy's Mom View Post
    Lucy is 15 months. I thought it may be boredom or wanting my attention. I haven't been able to walk her for a few days and our playing
    Oh mine, at 15 months Bijou would literally climb the walls if she didn't get walked everyday - notwithstanding we have a backyard and she has a high energy brother to play with. From what you described, I think the new whine yawn is Lucy showing her frustration/impatience for not getting her walks. It's difficult for these young dogs to stop their usual exercise all of a sudden. Without their usual outlet to drain energy, they can develop bad behaviors pretty quickly. If it's not difficult to get a dog walker, I would hire one right away.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

well, there's always other activities the dog can do for excersize insted of walking. For instance.... door jam chewing..... sheet rock chewing..... carpet digging... counter surfing...
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx