Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyr / Lab Mix

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

NickRich`s Photos

Default Pyr / Lab Mix

A friend of mine recently had his wonderful female Pyre make special friends with a neighbors Black Lab. After turning down a puppy on multiple occasions, one that was given to his mother made its way to my home(She decided that he was going to be too much to deal w/ due to size / stubborness). I stumbled across these forums and after reading for several hours noticed that more than one person here has a Pyre mix. I was curious to see if anyone has any experience with this particular mix?
    I know mixing breeds can get you a hodgepodge of results, but here are some things of note about Smokey:

-Webbed paws like a Lab.
    -Muzzle is longer like a Lab(at least to me) but the rest of the body is thick and stocky. 53 lbs @ ~17 weeks(He doesnt seem to be overweight to me as he is extremely solid and eats less than the reccommended serving for a puppy his size).
    -Single dewclaws front and rear.
    -Longer coat than a Lab but not nearly as long as a Pyr. He doesnt have his adult coat but in the past month it has gotten considerably longer and wavy starting in the center of his back. Huge amount of fluff at the back of his head to the bottom of his neck. Some fluff starting at the back of his jaw going down on to his chest. Start of a Pyr mane?
    -Started out solid black(blue/grey depending on light) w/ just a tiny tuft of white hair on the tip of his tail and some white between the pads of his paws. Looks to me as if he is slowly turning Choco now.
    -Will fetch w/o training(When he wants to...LOL).
    -Most stubborn dog Ive ever owned(First dog Ive had 100% on my own, but growing up I had 2 Chows, a GSD, Choco Lab, Collie, Shih Tzu, ****er Spaniel all registered + a host of mutts). I read posts here about Pyr stubborness(Hadnt seen it myself in eithor of my friends Pyres but Smokey seems to have 100% the Pyr personality Ive read about. Doesnt seem to want to please like my Lab or other dogs and only listens when he wants to).

Sorry for the long post, but after all my reading on here this appears to be the place I need to be for info as he doesnt act like he has much of a Lab's personality and acts totally different than any dog Ive owned. Any ideas on what his full adult coat will look like? Should I expect him to develope more guardian tendencies? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

TexasKat`s Photos

Pictures, Pictures! All newcomers have to post pictures! (Of their pups, not themselves).

Welcome, Nick! Just so you know, you don't have a dog, you have a Pyr.

Pyrs are NOT stubborn, they're ... independent, opinionated and self-assured, but 'stubborn" oh say it ain't so!

Pyr puppy hair is often almost downy... as he gets his adult coat, the down remains but the guard hair is somewhat coarser.

Males carry more coat than females -- including a more prominent mane.

Does he carry his tail low and raise it over his back as he becomes alert? Have you encountered the Pyr paw? Does he poke you in the rear with his nose when he wants you to hurry? How big are the Pyr holes in your lawn?

See lots and lots of interesting questions to answer. Welcome to being trained by a Pyr

NickRich`s Photos

I just posted a few pics of him, was trying to upload more but the interwebz isn't being to friendly at the moment. Sadly I haven't been able to upload any of the good pics.

I can agree with the opinionated and self-assured, but not so much with the independent. His is getting better but he still displays a lot of what I'm assuming is separation anxiety. Just me being on the other side of a door, or walking on the deck without him is enough to send him into a barking / whining fit. I supposed this could be due to how I acquired him. My friends mother had him for 2 weeks in the house, decided he would do better outside and moved him out. He spent about 2 weeks outside w/ little interaction before he was brought to me. He is getting better with such things even though Ive not been able to desensitize him to the sound of my keys being rattled.

His sides, belly and neck are still quite downy. Course is a great description of the hair that's coming in but its still somewhat shorter than I would expect. Maybe double the length of the fluffy layer.

I haven't particularly noticed if it goes up every time he is alert, but that sounds like a great description of the two positions I see it in(That is, of course, when it isn't thrashing around wildly and knocking stuff off the coffee table... lol). Sometimes when we are outside and he gets startled by traffic noise etc he will freeze with his tail down curling up near the end, but now that I think about it as soon as there is a knock at the door or an unfamiliar sound inside it does go up.

He hasn't poked me in the rear with his nose yet, but he does get vocal when I take my time putting on shoes etc when taking him out. It has almost turned into a game because he does it when he wants attention too(He wants attention way too much, but he is getting less needy). It starts out as a high pitched bark, I tell him nope or to hold on and it gets less pitched until it is a whiny growl then he gives up with what sounds like a sigh and plops down on the floor.

The Pyr paw? He does do some interesting things with his paws I suppose. Its almost like he wants to hold hands. lol He will put his paw in my lap, over my arm or just keep pawing until I hold it. The fact that he did this naturally helped me teach him left / right paw fairly quickly, he had it down perfect over a weekend when using my left and right hands for which paw I wanted. Now, surprisingly, I can use either hand for his left or right and he is correct probably 9/10 times no matter how much I try to confuse him. Ive tried teaching this trick to several dogs and even my GSD didn't get it down this well this quick.

No holes in the yard as of this post, but he is never unattended outside as I do not have a fence around my yard(Will have an invisible fence soon). He did try to dig in some mud one night during a late night potty mission but I corrected him and he hasn't tried to do so again. I'm guessing he will try to again, as he does so many things he is corrected on(chewing pillows, shoes, etc). Speaking of things that Ive corrected him on multiple times, he brought a half chewed sandal to me tonight to play with just like it was any of his other toys...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mulewagon's Avatar

mulewagon`s Photos

What a fluffy sweetie! My Pyr mix looks a lot like him, only short-haired.

Badger sighs and mutters to himself, too, when I don't behave right. And yes, he's awfully attached for somebody who was born in a goat pen! He's supposed to live outside, but he's always trying to wiggle into the front door, and then goes all flat like he can become invisible.

He is very independent, but also very affected by disapproval. I came out yesterday with the leash, and instead of sitting for it, he started chasing his tail. So I just said, "Fine, I'll visit the chickens by myself!" and walked on. He zoomed right in front of me and sat down with his head up! And when he wants to play too rough, the best reprimand is to stand up and walk away.

He's a smart, smart dog, and very sensitive - about some things. Other things, like eating chicken poop, he's just stubborn about. But then, if I can get him out of the chicken pen without much poop consumed, he sits by the gate and moans... I think Purina is missing a bet in the flavoring department!
    Valerie

<== This is what your dog looks like under all that hair!

Badger - a Great Pyrenees/Catahoula mix

The Mule Wagon | Mule Wagon Cooking | Mule Wagon Sewing | Mule Wagon Shaving

NickRich`s Photos

Is Badger Pyr / Lab as well? When I saw those ears that was the first thing I thought.

I have quite the opposite problem most of the time. Smokey doesn't want to come back into the house when I am ready after a trip out to potty, our 2 daily jogs/walks or any of the random times we just sit on the deck listening to the various sounds in the area. For about a week I could say "Fine!" and drop his leash and walk in the house. He wouldn't let me get the door closed before he was right there going " YOU CANT LEAVE ME!" Now he just sits there and waits, because he knows I will come back for him. I think he is too smart for his own good sometimes.

Most of the time when I correct him on something I just get a look like "Wait til you turn your back buddy." You are totally right about the "when I don't behave right." lol He is constantly trying to teach me how to properly follow him down the street, or into my neighbors yard.

Cat poop / dirty litter would be another great flavor from my experience. lol Last time I was at my mothers w/ him he proudly displayed the massive cat turd he fished out of the litter box in the 30 secs or so that I wasn't paying attention to him. He wasn't too pleased when I scolded him and took it away. Of course neither was I at having to handle a now slobbery cat turd. lol

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mulewagon's Avatar

mulewagon`s Photos

Oh, gross! Dogs are sooo disgusting! Why am I lavishing time and money on such a disgusting animal, again? Oh, yeah, it's the cuteness. And he's supposed to guard the chickens. When he grows out of wanting to play with them, that is

Badger's half Catahoula, though his personality seems to be all Pyr. (Catahoulas are fast-moving hunting and herding dogs.) You can tell that he'll have a massive dignity when he's grown. His main hobby right now is collecting all the garbage he can locate (from the compost pile, scrap pile, under the shed, etc.) and heaping it up by the front door. Then he lies down in front of the door, amidst his trash, and won't let us open it. It adds so much cachet to our establishment! (Of course, I remember Dr. Dunbar's comment, "What do you expect the dog to do? Needlepoint?")

He's really an adorable puppy, though, and very gentle. I posted a video a few days ago of him playing with a pushy little pit bull. He loves to chase and wrestle endlessly, and doesn't object to being bitten, or seeing all his food eaten and his toys stolen. The first time they played, the other puppy went a little too far and Badger yipped a couple of times. Then he flipped him over, pinned him with a huge paw, and nipped him hard! After that, they understand each other perfectly. And I understand what people say about Pyrs having good judgment.
    Valerie

<== This is what your dog looks like under all that hair!

Badger - a Great Pyrenees/Catahoula mix

The Mule Wagon | Mule Wagon Cooking | Mule Wagon Sewing | Mule Wagon Shaving

NickRich`s Photos

Smokey's only habit thus far seems to be to destroy any toys I buy him... A bag of 14 raw hides, 3 tennis balls, 3 stuffed toys and a rope tug in the first 2 weeks that I had him. lol He is a chewer and a half!

Ive managed to keep him out of the trash this far. I do wish Smokey would hoard everything into one spot! Its getting all kinds of hard to walk though the house without tripping over a toy or other random object he has dragged around and left laying at random. d

I haven't been able to socialize him too much with other dogs, maybe 5-6 so far. He seems to love every dog he meets as long as it is friendly towards me. That is of course except for my sisters 11 lb rat dog(Pekingese), she wouldn't even give him a chance to sniff her before she was barking and snapping at him. Was kinda funny to see 40 lbs of puppy running from the little terror. I guess they will fight like me and my sis, if he ever decides to stand up for himself against her. lol I might have to sit down and watch a Rocky marathon with him.

Jewel`s Photos

This is Bro, his father is a pyr and his mother looked like a lab mix.

NickRich`s Photos

Beautiful dog! I'm still trying to figure out how Smokey is going to turn out... If he turns out to be a chocolate(he is turning from black to chocolate) version of Bro I will be super pleased. I think I will be super pleased regardless as he is an awesome puppy.

What is Bro's weight? I'm still trying to figure out how large this little ball of fur is going to get. Looking at charts like http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2108&aid=1068 it looks like he is going to take after the Pyr side of his lineage rather than the lab. I think my GSD was only about 65 lbs at 6 months. Smokey actually seems larger at 4 months although he is only 53 lbs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lou Lou's Avatar

Lou Lou`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by NickRich View Post
    I think my GSD was only about 65 lbs at 6 months. Smokey actually seems larger at 4 months although he is only 53 lbs.
    All that fluff can be decieving eh? I'm a sucker for over-guessing Ralph's weight... But then again it seems like 15 lbs of him COULD be just hair. Sooo much hair!

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)