Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barking Mad

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

TexasKat- Really solid, good advice. I'll incorporate this into the treating for silence idea that I've been pondering. I did try a technique similar to what you mention a while back but guess I got a 'lil lazy and sometimes can't check on what he is barking at (i.e., I'm in the midst of a work-out, shower, etc.)...the other times I can however and clearly need to go back to square one.

We sort of have a nighttime ritual. I turn on the sound machine and say "goodnight, buddy." Is that what you mean? I hadn't thought to use the same word/phrase when he gets to barking at night. Good thought!

I had to laugh out loud at your 'identifiers'. I do use them on a regular basis...we use "it's just Bella" a LOT (the upstairs neighbor dog) and he is pretty good about stopping when I use that phrase. The 'identifiers' also help maintain my sanity with the barking sometimes. Something about going to a window and saying "yep, its a dog...but I can see why you were so concerned, Rajah, I mean the thing weighs all of 2lbs and clearly could eat you alive, you better go hide now while you can" Is it a bad sign that I have these whole conversations by myself with him? He looks at me like I'm crazy but at least he gives me a few minutes of peace and quite.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

LOL Terri. Yeah, air!

TexasKat, love you advice here. So true about yelling anything at a Pyr for barking....now just gotta convince my husband it doesn't work, when he yells at him out the back door. At nighttime, I've decided it's easier to put him on his leash (even though we have a fenced in back yard) and take him out back myself instead of letting him just charge out the backdoor already in a barking frenzy over the squirrel that would DARE encroach on HIS territory
    OH how he loves watching the squirrels skatter up on the fence when the big fearsome guy comes home to reclaim HIS backyard!

Pesky things! Hmphh!

Believe it or not Chi, you will become used to this barking, and I think your Pyr will settle down a bit when he starts to understand all the noises and goings on and knows that they don't bother you. He will likely fall in to the routine that Texas explains and the barks will be his way of letting you know what's going on.

Believe me...if he should ever have to go to the vet overnight you will really miss that barking. When our Belle was sick the first time and had to stay at the hospital a few days I really missed her 5 a.m. "Everybody's getting ready for work mom!" bark. You will soon learn to sleep right through it as I did, and just be comforted by the type of bark he's giving you.

Example of the 5% loving to hear themselves bark. Hubby and I had to "safe haven" ourselves with a load where that has to be done on a base and Sabs LOVES this because it's usually way out in the woods someplace where there is not much going on. This particular evening we were the only ones back there and oh how he loves that. Well after his walk and playing he decided as usual that it was "his". We were back in the truck and opened the windows so he could stick his head out and enjoy the fresh air....when big guy put his head out and just started barking....listening...and barking....so much fun.....uhh yeah.....

We took it for so long and up went the window...fun over. LOL

LOL next morning how dare the military unit come on "his" territory! Out came the squirt bottle to remind him, it's not his! Actually there was not even water in it, and he stopped. So he had to get out later and meet all the new people and play some more.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Yeah, I've stopped several conference calls with clients in order to do a quick 'check it out' with Scout and Gypsy, so I know about the 'getting interrupted' part. It's a lot easier to do it than to listen to the barking though -- at least for me (and my clients).

"Good night, buddy" is exactly what I meant.

Ours is a bit more elaborate. "It's bedtime for puppies" -- settling them in their 'spots' for sleep (not that I expect they stay there long) -- refilling water bowls, getting them a little bedtime snack, some pets and praise, "Sweet puppy dreams", get them a soft toy to 'guard' for the night, "Nite, Scout", "Nite, Gypsy" and "See you in the morning".

Giving them 'key phrases' to learn in human works well for all kinds of applications -- from trying to reduce noise from "Mr. Barks-a-lot" to helping noise shy Pyrs. Think of it as though it were training -- just like teaching them them meaning of "sit" or "stay". Conversation conveys 'tone' more than anything -- and that's good -- just remember to include the same 'names' of things you've used before if you want to make a point.

If I've had a 5 minute conversation with our Pyrs and used the word "WALK" in it anywhere, they'll immediately recognize it. Shows the value of having a keyword, but I've had to start spelling W-A-L-K around them. But they're catching on -- soon I'll have to pull out the Thesaurus, or start call a walk a "pumpkin" or something.

TexasKat`s Photos

We used to have squirrels in the backyard...before the 2 squirrel scarers. LOL, they only come as far as our neighbors' yards now -- not even crossing the line via the trees.

If your husband has to 'say' something, tell him to use 'quiet' sounding words like "SHHHHH!". Short, sharp words are 'barks" -- that's just what they sound like too.

Ours still want to bark at night (when they're outside) at neighbors comings and goings, but a quick "Let's check it out!" will bring them running into the house so they can look out the front door. (Then they have to stay inside for a little while).

The end result though -- the barking stops.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

I love the "It's just....." phrases...going to use those.

I have to give hubby credit, I just remembered when Sabs barked last evening in the hotel room, he did my command (yay he's learning!) he put up his hand and went shsssshhhh Sabs boy and he actually stopped barking.

I was just thinking, these are the things people need to read about BEFORE getting the beautiful looking Pyr. Ours meets a lot of people from all over the country (and world) and they fall in love with their beauty and disposition. It's a good time to educate people that if they were to ever think of getting one to please do research, our Pyrs have their quirks and it takes dedication and consistent love and patience as they mature.

An example: my command to Sabs "Wait!" with my hand in front of his eyes. I do not let him cross a road without that command first, he's 3 years old and I've been doing since 6 months old and he now will stop without my making the leash 3 inches short. Yay! Sabs! Consistent and persistant...it works.

TexasKat`s Photos

Yep, absolutelY agree with your points!

"Wait" is essential. We've been teaching "watch for cars" before crossing the street. Dogs hear "watch-for-cars" as a phrase. They have the "wait till one car passes" part down but don't yet get that there may be another right behind that one and need to check again.

Mine don't get to walk in the street (strictly sidewalk or grass) either. (They understand "Out-of-the-street" as a phrase). Hoping that if God forbid one were to ever get 'out'--their inclination would be to stay out of (some) harm's way.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

Good points, all (and love the stories you guys share, as always).

Rajah knows "wait" very well. He has to "sit" at the two stair landings when we are going outside and "wait" while I go down without him until I say "let's go". Now, outside, we are in a whole different ballgame. He does seem to "get it" when we are around a lot of cars, however.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Very good! Sure don't want a freight train helping you cough cough...down the stairs if you know what i mean.

My tiny 3 year old granddaughter is the prize flock member of Sabby's and she has learned to command him, and she does excellent on her stair command although we are still RIGHT there, in case he decides to not comply.

So little Taylor puts her hand up that is the size of ummm maybe half Sabs paw, and tells in her Gammy strong voice that I taught her..."WAIT!" then she has to praise him...Good boy! when he does wait. Of course she's always had dogs herself so she excels at bossing them around. LOL

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I use TK's method with Missy. When she is at my glass door barking I open the curtain and look outside and tell her "Good job, we saw that." or "Thanks Missy." and I give her a pat of the head and she then lays down and stops barking.

At night before bed I lay down and watch TV for awhile and when I am doing that I let her stay on the floor but, when it is time for sleep I say "Missy bed." and she knows at that point it is bed time for reals. When she barks at night I get up and let her out and that is only a recent thing. Before the cars were broke into and the gun shots started going off when she was barking I would just say "Missy enough bed." now days when she barks at night I let her out cause my neighbors on one side are just shady characters and need to be reminded that she exists when they are drunk and fighting.

Young Dawg (Member)

Default question about barking

My Pyr abraham has several behavioral issues that I am already dealing with, mainly dog aggression. He has made a lot of progress in that area when we are away from home, but in the yard he is as aggressive to strange dogs as ever.

Is barking like crazy at dogs passing along the sidewalk pretty much normal behavior for a pyr, or should it be unacceptable?

I find it unacceptable because I'm sure it scares people walking their dogs, I know I hate it when it happens to me as I walk the dogs (he never barks on our walks unless provoked so I understand it is a territorial thing).

I just wanted to know if I need to adjust my expectations when dealing with this. I don't mind the alert bark, but I really do mind when he appears to be completely out of control with rage at the two chihuahuas walking by that are not even looking at him.

Last question. I've got chainlink right now. Is it unrealistic to expect that a privacy fence will help the situation?

thanks