Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member) VashTheStampede's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

VashTheStampede`s Photos

Unhappy Very Destructive Pyr mix

Vash, my 2.5 year old male Pyr mix, seems to have some separation anxiety issues beyond anything i have ever experienced. In the back yard, fenced with 6' wood fence, he has to be on a tether running line to avoid escape. However even with this he has discovered he can basically rip a hole in the fence and get out. He has done this 6-7 times now. I have done everything I can afford as far as trying to "vash-proof" my fence. When this did not work i bought a kennel for him and have tried keeping him in there when i leave the house. He is in a kennel for 12 hours 3 times a week at my work so i thought he would be ok with this. Unfortunately he was not, he broke out of the kennel and then through a window in my home! I tried the kennel once more after this, putting a blanket over it, leaving him treats, and the same destruction happened again. I have scheduled a training program for him with a trainer that is experienced with dogs with behavior problems but i still am not convinced it will do any good. It is to the point that i do not leave him home unless absolutely necessary ( i no longer go to movies or dinner at restraunts or out with friends). I am at a loss for what to do. any thoughts?

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

A couple of quick questions ... what kind and how much exercise does Vash get on a daily basis?
    How does Vash relate to the cats and where are they while you are gone?
    Where does Vash go when he gets out?

Have you tried desensitizing Vash to your leaving by crating him for short periods of time and going in and out for just a few minutes? Or does he only get crated when you are leaving for more than a couple of minutes?

One of the things I have seen utilized is to fasten either chain link (expensive) or what they call bull-wire on the inside of the wood fence to prevent the dog from being able to damage the boards.

Here is a pic of bull-wire used as an open fence. I have seen this used on the inside of the wood fence to protect the boards.

The one caveat I have is that Vash has already demonstrated you are not going to keep one of these guys in if they absolutely want to be out.

Good luck with the trainer and keep us informed. Maybe one of the other members has more ideas.

_Red

ps: Welcome to the board

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

My pyr Ghost chewed through chain link. I ended up buying an invisible fence kit and installing it on the wire of my fence, this was successful for Ghost! Good Luck

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy had separation anxiety when I would leave her alone when she was little. Now I crate trained her though and she no longer cares if I leave her. I went with putting her in the crate and leaving for like 5 minutes I was outside so I knew what was going on then coming back into the house left her in there for a minute then took her and repeated over and over and over again extending the time little by little. Now I am not going to lie I still think she can get out of her crate because she randomly will have my pillow in there with her or a burrito that she found on the counter. If she is getting out she is getting back into it so not to be caught.

What I also did was I would put her on a leash in the park and take one of my friends and leave her with them and then walk out of her sight. That way she got use to not having me around. Mind you at first she did drag my friends around because they aren't use to such a large dog on the end of the leash. Now days if I hand her off to someone and tell her to sit she will sit with that person while I am gone with no issues.

As for the fence thing you can the invisible route like Ghost suggested or like a customer of mine does an electric fence with her newfies so they don't try to destroy her fence. The invisible fence didn't work for her so she went with the electric one and it worked. Nothing comes into the yard or out of her yard anymore. I would use that as the last resort personally.

What is Vash mixed with if you don't mind my asking?

VashTheStampede`s Photos

He gets an hour walk in the morning and an hour walk in the evening. Vash loves the cats and they are out in the house when im gone. When he gets out he runs around the neighborhood and comes back usually within an hour. I am not 100% sure what he is mixed with, he looks like a pyr but is shorter and has a docked tail which i am sure was done as a puppy but im not sure. I have tried the bull wire and he just rips it right off. The invisible fence may be an option but i honestly dont know if it would phase him.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

With Butters, when I leave he KNOWS he has a job to do. I tell him to Guard the house. He knows what that means. When I am home and tell him that, his tail goes up and hes on instant alert.

When I leave I tell him guard the house, same thing, and he is in guard mode till Iget home. Mayne if he felt he had a job to do while you are gone.

VashTheStampede`s Photos

How did you get him to know that was his job though?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) grtpyrlvr's Avatar

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by VashTheStampede View Post
    How did you get him to know that was his job though?
    Most pyrs have it ingrained in them that their job is to guard and protect. Do you have a picture of him that we could see? Might give us an idea of what he is mixed with and give you some additional options. I fostered some mixes and that can sometimes throw the whole personality off a little bit
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang
    R.I.P. Winter you will be missed.... 8/5/2011

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I was going to say Missy is a mix but, she still has it hard wired in her head that she has to protect us and all of the creatures we own.

VashTheStampede`s Photos

Default pics

I postedpics of Vash in my photo album on here.