Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Taylorbay`s Photos

Default New Puppy - chewing, biting, teething

Hi All!

I have Izzi, a 10 week old GP, got her at 7 weeks old and is generally doing really well with crate training, house-breaking, learning commands, etc.

I realize she is teething, hence all the chewing and probably some of the biting. I can't remember what I used on my newfs, I just remember it coming out of the freezer. Any suggestions on what to freeze to help with the teething/chewing?

As for the biting, I have to say, she is much more intense than my newfs ever were. I've tried many things - a loud yelp, her biting down on her own jowels, paw in the mouth, holding muzzle, "no-bite" - nothing seems to be working. any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chris

Old Dawg (Senior Member) grtpyrlvr's Avatar

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

A friend of mine recently said that her Pyr puppies were worse with teething then her newf's every were! Have you tried a washcloth frozen? I also like to put those "puppy" nylabones in the freezer so they are super cold! You can also try putting peanut butter or yogurt in a kong and freezing it. It should take some of the gnawing urges away.

Good luck and welcome!
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang
    R.I.P. Winter you will be missed.... 8/5/2011

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Chris & Izzi!!
    Teething....ice cubes help. I also used an old washcloth, wet it, put it in the freezer then when frozen let the pups have at it.
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things trying to get her to stop using you for a chew toy....you could try "trading" your fingers for another toy, or a correction like the ones you have been using, then ignoring her for awhile.
    The good news is, she will stop eventually.....
    Hope to hear moe about the adventures of you & Izzi.....and by the way, how did she come by her name??
    Nancy & Holly

Taylorbay`s Photos

funny - I never even thought of ice cubes - duh

Hi Nancy - Izzi is Isabella's Emerald Sky, her Mom is Isabella and I've always known that one of my dogs would be Izzi. when I got Splash, my newf/pyr, I had emailed the girl that had her, happened to be a 'newf friend' that rescued a pregnant purebred newf, anyway, I asked her if my new pup was an Izzi or a Splash, she replied "definately a Splash as she loves to sleep in the tub", so ...........which at 6 yrs old now still sleeps in the tub , so that Izzi available and when we picked up our new GP pup and her Mom was Isabella - well it was a definate sign!

thanks for the suggestions but oh difficult it is to ignore that adorable little Izzi face

p.s. - can I post pics on this site?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Chris
    just viewed your album....she is the cutest girl!!!!
    and she was so small, almost the size of Splash's head!!
    Thanks for the photos..loved them!!
    nancy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

For the biting, there is another user on here who suggested using peanut butter and teaching them kisses instead of biting. It might work for Izzi.

Just looked through the pictures Izzi is adorable and so is Splash.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) WildGrits's Avatar

WildGrits`s Photos

I'm so glad to hear we aren't the only ones going through this. I had a Dob in the past and he never chewed on us.

Jacques vet recommended spraying your hands with Bitter Apple if the other techniques aren't working.

We have had no luck with redirection with toys as our biggest problem is chewing on pants and skirts as you try to walk past him. The Bitter Apple is working but Yelping is starting to work now also. Leaving the room is hard as he thinks as soon as you get to your feet that it's play time and will pull on your pants.

Every day he does get a little better about it though.