Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Water

Old Dawg (Senior Member) KathyCS's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

KathyCS`s Photos

Default How Much Water

I wish I had thought to ask the vet today, but how much water should Bear be drinking each day. The temps have been mild to cold and he is inside almost all the time. He does go outside when the boys and I are out playing, but other than that, he's pretty much laying around inside. I ask because it seems to me that he drinks an awful lot of water. I have those really large stainless bowls from Pet Smart - the largest ones. I haven't really measured how much they hold but it's over a half gallon and I'm thinking more. I have one bowl inside and one bowl outside for him. He will finish off the inside bowl and every time we go out he drinks from that bowl as well and pretty much finished it off during the day as well. If he can find anything in the yard that holds water he wants to drink from it as well. He's nine weeks old tomorrow - I just don't see how he can hold that much water or even want that much, but I keep it down and let him drink from it all the time - on the other hand he does urinate a lot. I've been free feeding him and he seems to eat about what is recommended - no more, no less. He doesn't care for doggie treats at all and when I tried to introduce cooked meats into his kibble - he eats around it and leaves the meat and eats only the kibble. Even at 6 weeks he did not want his kibble moistened and he continues to eat it dry. Tonight I gave him a couple of pieces of fish we had left from dinner and he did like that. I've tried the Wellness treats and some of the Canine cuts from the grocery store. On the plus side he loves the Greenies and that is helping with his breathe - but the water thing - am I giving him too much? Should I put the bowl up and only offer the water several times each day rather than letting him have access to it at all times - is drinking so much water a sign of anything - like in humans with diabetes. He's growing and developing it seems at pretty much spot on the right pace. I guess I just obsess and worry about doing the right things.
    Kathy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Don't restrict his water intake. Unless he has a kidney or other medical issue, there's no reason to keep him from drinking as much water as he wants. Did your vet do bloodwork on a recent visit? If you are concerned, definitely call him to check.

My dogs only get water in the house because it stays cleaner that way -- and they're in and out as often as they like. They have biggish ceramic soup bowls as water bowls -- they don't like clear glass or metal. They also get their water refilled several times a day -- it's never empty. (Should I admit they have their own 'water jug' in the fridge? and ice cubes in their water after walks?)

The smaller bowls make for less puppy 'splash time' and I found a use for all those left over puppy pee pads. Pyrs seem to love splashing in their water and those things make great splash absorbers under the bowls.

To get a good gauge of exactly how much he's drinking, use a measuring cup to fill his water bowl (one water bowl inside so you can make sure it didn't get accidentlly knocked over) and keep a diary for a few days.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy has a plastic 3 gallon water bowl that horses drink out of normally. I keep it inside for all of the animals and she has the pond to drink out of outside. Now she does drink a lot but, my vet says she is healthy and that is all that matters to me.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

I have one of those big blue salad bowls and he drinks one of those a day easy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyCS View Post
    I wish I had thought to ask the vet today, but how much water should Bear be drinking each day. The temps have been mild to cold and he is inside almost all the time. He does go outside when the boys and I are out playing, but other than that, he's pretty much laying around inside. I ask because it seems to me that he drinks an awful lot of water. I have those really large stainless bowls from Pet Smart - the largest ones. I haven't really measured how much they hold but it's over a half gallon and I'm thinking more. I have one bowl inside and one bowl outside for him. He will finish off the inside bowl and every time we go out he drinks from that bowl as well and pretty much finished it off during the day as well. If he can find anything in the yard that holds water he wants to drink from it as well. He's nine weeks old tomorrow - I just don't see how he can hold that much water or even want that much, but I keep it down and let him drink from it all the time - on the other hand he does urinate a lot. I've been free feeding him and he seems to eat about what is recommended - no more, no less. He doesn't care for doggie treats at all and when I tried to introduce cooked meats into his kibble - he eats around it and leaves the meat and eats only the kibble. Even at 6 weeks he did not want his kibble moistened and he continues to eat it dry. Tonight I gave him a couple of pieces of fish we had left from dinner and he did like that. I've tried the Wellness treats and some of the Canine cuts from the grocery store. On the plus side he loves the Greenies and that is helping with his breathe - but the water thing - am I giving him too much? Should I put the bowl up and only offer the water several times each day rather than letting him have access to it at all times - is drinking so much water a sign of anything - like in humans with diabetes. He's growing and developing it seems at pretty much spot on the right pace. I guess I just obsess and worry about doing the right things.
    Chewy drinks a ton... i can't imagine how much he is going to down in the summertime.

What type of food are you feeding him, lots of the cheap stuff has tons of sodium in it.

KathyCS`s Photos

He eats Wellness. I've never really paid attention to the sodium content - just the protein content.
    Kathy

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

If his blood work came back fine and there were no anomalies that concerned your vet, then I wouldn't worry about it much and just chalk it up to a puppy's fascination with water. Depending on my dogs' activity levels, they can each drink 1/3 of a gallon at one time. I tend to fill our one gallon water bowl 4 times per day with three dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Wellness is good, unforunately with dry or canned dog food, all of it has to have sodium in it to preserve it properly.

You could switch to raw and they will drink much less water, but it's messy if he is an inside dog... i would just buy the biggest water jug you can find and leave it. Makes potty training a bit harder. I don't feed chewy water late at night before it's bedtime if he is indoors to prevent him from peeing, but other than that, he can drink whenever. He does drink a ton though.

KathyCS`s Photos

You hit the nail on the head. Potty training is a bit trying with Bear drinking so much. If he's not sleeping, he's pretty much urinating. I know the water has to go somewhere, but he could create a flood. We literally run for the back door and most of the time he barely makes it outside and pees on the patio. That's okay because I can wash it down, but he doesn't give any type warning inside. Our other dogs we could always tell if they were ready to go - there were telltale signs, but not with Bear. He'll just be playing and walking along and decides he needs to go and stops right where he is and let's it go. Needless to say I have used a ton of swiffer pads - after I clean with a towel we swiffer. This potty training is going to be a lot harder than I thought. I just wondered if drinking that much was normal but apparently it is.
    Kathy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Try some of the puppy pee pads inside. It didn't make potty training take longer for us (Scout got the idea right away and he potty trained Gypsy) but it helped for those 'unexpected' urges.

I assume you're taking him outside to potty when he wakes up, just after he eats, before he eats, after he plays, before he goes back to sleep... actually about once every hour to hour and a half (at his age)?