Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Won't come in at night

This is my first post although I've been reading for a while now. I have a ~6 year old rescue, Benjamin, who is lovely and wonderful but like most pyr's doesn't come when called predictably. However, the last few nights he's just completely ignored me when I call him in, and doesn't even stand up until I go out to where he is. A couple months ago my boyfriend (who had adopted Benjamin with me) moved out, so I've only been on night duty since then. B's adjusted just fine (and gets to sleep on the bed more), although he did this the first couple nights I was on my own, which is when I started giving him treats to come in, and we've been fine since - until this week. He's also been more and more reluctant to come up to the bedroom at night (he sleeps in my bedroom, he has a crate/bed there although he likes the floor best).

Suggestions needed!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

Great Pyrs are more nocturnal dogs than most other breeds. You are calling him in just when he's getting wound up! Good luck with that.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

He is nocturnal by nature and now that you are on your own he feels the need to protect the house that you live more cautiously probably. I would recommend is forming a routine with him. At the same time every prepare to bring him in. The first couple of days will be rough but, once he gets the routine down he will just go with it.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) grtpyrlvr's Avatar

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

Try walking him around the property on a leash before bed. Sometimes that "Evening patrol" is enough to settle them down for the night. He might just be taking a more "Active" role as protector since your BF is not there anymore. I know when DH goes out of town I have a hard time getting our gang upstairs. They seem to want to stay downstairs near all the doors.
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang
    R.I.P. Winter you will be missed.... 8/5/2011

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Don't let him get away with this any more.
    Call him, when he predictably doesn't come, calmly go over to him raise him up with a treat if you need to, then quietly walk with him to the house. No loud voice commands, just calm & quiet. And when you get back to the house, maybe an extra special treat or some quality time with you might be good.
    If he is one of those Pyr's who doesn't like to be handle by the collar, then I suggest using grtpyrlvr's suggestion that the evening be a time he gets to walk the perimeter on a leash.
    And sometimes they like to choose their place to sleep, and since there's been a change in the house, it sounds like he is adjusting to it in his own way.

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks for the advice. I had already been calling him in (not shouting or angry, just normal calling him), and then walking out to get him, and giving him treats and rubs when I could get him in, but we're going to try walking the edge of the backyard. We had a night routine, but I'm going to try to adapt it so the rewards of tummy rubs on the bed more closely follow the undesirable coming in when I call him. Last night he had been outside for a while and I brought him in to go for a neighborhood walk - and it was funny to see as soon as he realized he wasn't going to have to go upstairs to bed, this was fine, so it's definitely the thought that he isn't going to be downstairs to guard at night. Hopefully he'll settle into our new routine, I just don't understand why this is happening now as opposed to 2 months ago, when i would have expected it. Thanks again.