Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Taylorbay`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by FourAtThree View Post
    I’m not sure if my experience is relevant, but I’ll post it anyway just in case it helps.

. Instead, we purchased “special treats” (chicken hotdogs in his case) and gave him a treat outside if and only if he evacuated outside. .

I appreciate the input - funny thing is last night on my way home from work, iI had that exact idea and stopped by the pet store for some special liver treats that Izzi will ONLY GET WHEN SHE PEES OUTSIDE. oh I hope it works for me as well as it did you!
    Chris

Taylorbay`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    soap & water will not take the urine scent out...instead use a solution of 50% water & 50% vinegar, that will neutralize the scent.

I'd been using equal parts of white vinegar, cider vinegar and water, it made the smell nicer for me but apparantly didn't do a thing for Izzi as all she did was lick the floor then spit and sputter but then lick the floor again, crazy pup!
    Chris

Jewel`s Photos

I think you guys are doing just fine with trying to stay with the routine and being consistent. Some pups just take a little longer than others. Bro was one of those that gave no indication. He would be walking and in mid-stride, would squat and pee. Up to he was 16 weeks he was crated during the day while we were at work. One of us would come home at lunch to let him out. He had restricted access to water when crated and he only occassionally wetted his crate. But in the evenings when he was out and about and had free access to water, he had to be taken out every 45 minutes, or there would be an accident.

I would just keep on doing what your doing, by 16 weeks it should be much better. 12 weeks is still VERY young! It's funny because when it comes to potty training, many people feel from 8 weeks to 12 weeks seems to be forever for the pup not to be fully potty trained yet!! But on the other hand, from the aspect of growth, the same 4 weeks seem to fly by in an instant and one can't help but be awed at the phenomenal growth in one short month

Old Dawg (Senior Member) FourAtThree's Avatar

Chris- I hope it works for you and Izzi, too! A couple of things to remember:

1. No treats of any kind inside the home. Special treats outside if and only if Izzi evacuates outside. Once the problem is resolved, you can begin giving Izzi treats inside the home again, but not before the problem is resolved.
    2. It can be difficult and frustrating, but stay outside with Izzi to make sure she goes. I’ve never been long on patience, and my boy tested me constantly because he took forever to evacuate. But I stood firm and we did not come back inside the house until he went. I ran him around and did whatever I could think of to make him go. Kinda like the “running water” thing for human kids. Praise, praise, praise and treat when she goes outside!

Jewel - I can so relate to what you said about age and size! I have spent so much time with Phoebe since she came to live with us at 8.5 weeks that I expect her to be perfectly behaved in virtually every situation. I think it also makes it more difficult to realize she's still a puppy because she's so big. Potty training was pretty easy with Phoebe, but many other things . . . not so much.

Taylorbay`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel;45677But on the other hand, from the aspect of growth, the same 4 weeks seem to fly by in an instant and one can't help but be awed at the phenomenal growth in one [U
    short[/U] month
    here's a perfect example of that - i didn't even realize just how much she grew in 5 weeks!

sorry the pics are so big - someone please tell the best way to post pics in regular size - thanks

7 weeks old

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

12 weeks old!

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    Chris

Old Dawg (Senior Member) grtpyrlvr's Avatar

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

Unfortunately, they can still smell a spot even if you can not see it. I would invest in a good black light and then see how many actual spots there are. I bet you have not cleaned them all. You also need a cleaner with an enzyme on it to remove the smell.

When we start to housebreak the puppies we foster we keep them contained in an area close to the door. They go out after they get up, after they eat, after they drink etc. Then I take them out and ignore till they actually "go". Then they get lots of praise and excitement for a job well done. Puppies need to learn what area is their home. It takes a long time for puppies to get even the run of our downstairs. In most cases they stay confined to the Morning room or family room because they have laminate floors.
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang
    R.I.P. Winter you will be missed.... 8/5/2011

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Crazy, chewy has always preferred going outside even when he was 8 weeks old. He couldn't hold it long back then but you could just tell he would rather go outside. Made potty training real easy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

I hope this is the right way to do this...same topic so don't want to start a new one.

Sabastian is 3 years old, and trucks with us. He has never had an accident in the truck, it has become his den of sorts, so he would not pee in here unless there were a problem. He never has.

But home is a different story. Before him we had two older dogs (one was a Pyr) and both became worse as they aged so he could smell it. But since then everything has been remodeled at home all new floors due to a flood.

But when we arrive home I have to keep him on the leash as excited as he is to get in the house and check it all out. If he's off the leash he will hike his leg wherever he pleases.

We have also had to confine him to the room we are in. He is not allowed to go to the family room on the second lower level without us, because he will just pee.

He won't do a crate, no way, no how, for some reason he freaked out when he was a pup, so haven't been able to get him in it since then. So we have blockades all over the house.

Now at nighttime we've had to block him up in the hallway with our bedroom door open so he can ask me to go outside.

He is able to go hours in the truck without going. Not that we make him, but there are times that he just will not get out of the truck to go, until he really has to go.

I love it when we're home, but hate dealing with his urinating issues makes it really difficult sometimes.

Any suggestions here?

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

One more thing.
    When just hubby and I leave the house and go out and put up the blockade to the family room, he does not pee. He only does this stuff when we're there.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

It sounds more like marking behavior then just relieving himself to me. Thoughts?

On edit: is there anything that smells like him (maybe a blanket that's 'his') in these other rooms?