Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Potty Training Issues

I have a 15 week old GP puppy named Bear. My problem is I can't get him on a potty schedule. I will let him out with our Collie Rufus and he will not do anything until he gets back into the house and he will pee or poo on my carpet or hardwood floor after just being outside. I let him out after naps and half an hour after he has a drink or eats and in addition to that i let him out about once every half an hour. He does not give me any indication he wants to go out to the bathroom he will just get up and pee where ever no wining nothing. I heard that dogs never pee or poo where they sleep well this is not the case with Bear he sleeps with us in our bedroom with our Collie and he will just pop a squat where ever he is he doesn't care and again give us no indication he wanted to go. When we first brought him home at 8 weeks it seemed he was going to be easy to potty train he was going outside very well and besides the odd mistake here and there we had no problems. This just started happening. I limited his water intake after 6, I have done everything I can think of doing. Please if there is anyone out there who has had the same problem or has any suggestion please help me.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

First of all, welcome to the forum. It is unusual for GPs to be hard to potty train but my 7.5 month old will still have the odd accident now and again.

Every time your dogs goes inside the house you need to do a serious cleaning- you need a cleaner with enzymes that will break down the odor so that the dog cannot smell it. If your dog can smell it, you will continue to have this problem. Unfortunately, if the smell is in carpet, you may need to replace the carpet to get rid of the smell completely.

Also, do you go outside with both of your dogs when you let them out? Do you have a crate?

You probably need to watch your GP to make sure he goes outside. When he does, give him tons of praise. If your GP doesn't go outside, in the crate he goes for 10-15 minutes and out you go again with him. GPs are smart dogs and WILL get it eventually.

You mention your GP goes where he sleeps but do you crate train? If not, maybe the bedroom is too large of a space for now.

Just some ideas...I'm sure others will have more.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Amanda & Bear
    as Chi_gal says...are you going out with him giving him LOTS of praise and "good boys" and fussing over him when he goes potty outside?? Until he is about a year old or so the reenforcement is what he needs.
    And as she said, he needs to be either confined in a smaller area...a crate, a baby pen but some thing smaller. If you are home for the holidays, keep him on a long line tied to you....he may not have full access to the house. Take him out of the same door all the time, take him to the same spot and stay & watch, then praise, praise praise!!
    Hard work, but it will pay off.

Nancy & Holly

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I went out every time when I was potty training both of my dogs. I wouldn't let them in until they went outside. I still to this day will stand at the door when they are out cause it is now out of habit.

Like chi_gal said I would get a crate and put him in at night and if he doesn't go outside then he needs to go in it for awhile. You are giving him too much room at night so he can go and then move to another spot in the room to sleep. I use to put Missy on the bed with me or in her kennel so she didn't have a whole bunch of space.

Taylorbay`s Photos

I'd like to re-visit this topic if ya'll don't mind. I am having Amanda's exact problem with Izzi! and I'm curious - Amanda - how is Bear doing?

Izzi is already crate trained and does not pee or poop in her crate (has an accident, pee, on occasion, but only due to lenghth of time in crate), she does great outside when we take her out (same spot each time) and even take her separately from Splash to avoid distractions. We throw a little party every time she goes outdoors! and every time she messes inside we clean it with Nature's Miracle to get rid of the odor hoping she won't go there again.

I'm stumped! I've potty trained several pups before and not had this much trouble, i know one day it will all work out but does anyone have any other suggestions???

Izzi is 12 weeks old and has been with us since 7 weeks old.
    Chris

Old Dawg (Senior Member) KathyCS's Avatar

KathyCS`s Photos

Potty Training Issues here as well. Bear is twelve weeks old tomorrow. I began him from day one crate training. I take him outside religiously after eating and drinking as well as numerous times each day (specifically for potty breaks and not play). I praise him to high heaven when he goes outside. I take him out during the night and praise him then as well, but my Bear is just like Amanda's Bear. There is absolutely no warning and he goes whereever he stands. I can just have brought him in from doing his business and he will come inside to pee again. I immediately tell him no, clean it up with a towel and follow behind with cleaner trying to eliminate the scent and take him back outside. We don't have carpet so that's not the issue. I know he's already gone by then, but I want to keep reinforcing the outside thing so even when he goes inside I take him right back out after telling him no to the inside potty. If he's in his kennel he does not go, but in the house he seems to think it's quite alright. I've had several dogs but none so resistant as Bear to housebreaking. Besides taking him out after eating and drinking and numerous breaks during the day. Telling him no when he has his accident and praising him when he goes outside what more can I do. Should I put him in his crate more inside the house and only let him out to potty for a while reinforcing the crate training or are there other steps I can take. I mop of the urine with a towel and then follow behind with a mop and cleaner - is that sufficient for eliminating the scent that might lead him back to an area. He seems to prefer the den and hallway to other areas in the house.
    Kathy

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Are you using one of the products made specifically for eliminating urine odors?

Given the rest of your post I would say yes you need to either crate him more or pay closer attention to him during the day. It sounds like he has too much freedom and room inside. With Hank we would take him out every hour on the hour if he was out of the crate and as soon as we saw the nose go to the ground he was put out. He was house broken by 12 weeks, but, you had to watch him because his signal to go out was to go paw the door, but, he would only give you one shot at seeing him.

Was Bear an early removal like Izzi (I don't remember)? I ask because difficulty potty training is one of the side effects of early separation. If that is the case it will come it will just take time.

That is about all the advice I can give you because I have never had a breed as easy to house train as this breed, but, that doesn't help your situation.

_Red

Old Dawg (Senior Member) FourAtThree's Avatar

Iím not sure if my experience is relevant, but Iíll post it anyway just in case it helps.

When our GSD was a young pup, we had a problem potty training him as well. He would go outside and sniff every single blade of grass, pinecone, piece of mulch, stone and anything else he could find that was of interest, but he would not evacuate. Instead, after he was finished sightseeing, he would come back into the house and do his business. Boy, was it frustrating! I would be outside with him for what seemed like a really long time, but he just would not go. I (wrongfully) assumed he did not have to evacuate, and I would let him back in the house. Bad move on my part.

On the advice of the breeder, we immediately stopped giving him treats of any kind inside the house. Instead, we purchased ďspecial treatsĒ (chicken hotdogs in his case) and gave him a treat outside if and only if he evacuated outside. It took only a couple of days to train him to evacuate outside, and I was truly amazed at how effective the training method was and how quickly it worked! In fact, he would scratch at the back door to go out even when he didnít need to potty just to get a piece of chicken hotdog. I told myself at the time that chicken hotdogs must be really delicious and that I should try one, but I could never bring myself to taste one.

To this day, he cannot be rushed to evacuate. He goes outside and takes his good ole time and evacuates only when heís good and ready. Some things just can't be rushed I guess.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

soap & water will not take the urine scent out...instead use a solution of 50% water & 50% vinegar, that will neutralize the scent.
    these guys seem to "get it" at first & then they have what I call brain farts, they can't remember anything!
    sounds like you might have to try the combination of confining him in a smaller area, and doing the treat trick...wish I had known about that one!
    but now I do....
    he will get it eventually...really he will
    and then it will be on to the next lesson

Old Dawg (Senior Member) KathyCS's Avatar

KathyCS`s Photos

To answer the post that I think is directed to my "Bear", he is twelve weeks old and yes he was one of the early releases. He was just six weeks old. I knew that nipping and mouthing were problems associated, but didn't know about the potty training.

You're correct in assuming that when I am home with him he's not in the crate. He pretty much stays in and around myself or my husband. We crate him through the night and if we go to the store or somewhere we crate him inside. Now that he's at 12 weeks, when we go for just a short trip to the store or elsewhere, we let him stay outside. We have almost an acre under privacy fence in the back so he has a large area to play and so far he has only dug in one area and that's the gate between our yard and our daughter's yard. My husband took care of that with several sacks of quikcrete and now they just sort of lay each on one side of the fence and do their communication. We let Gracie come over several times a week to play in our yard with Bear and the grands so out and play with him often, but we don't include that as his potty time.

He does much better with the pooping outside than the urinating. I haven't really timed it, but I would guage that I let him out at least once each hour and I do go outside with him. We walk to an area of the yard and when he does his business I lavish praise on him. Even at midnight or two a.m. I walk outside with him and wait until he is done.

As for cleaning up I have not tried the vinegar - I use just a regular cleaning agent for the swiffer, so I will mix up a solution of vinegar and water and use a sponge mop. He's not lifting a leg or anything so he's not into marking furniture or anything (yet).

We are having little battles of wills where I think he is trying to be the dominant one. I've read on here where they will lean into you and try to make you go their way, etc. but I just push through that. I try to work with him on so much of what I read on here, adding a little each day to what we do. He resists the lead, but I still try it so shortly will look into one of those type collars - will ask for further advice on that - to help me with the leash issues. Right now I just have one of those big nylon collars. I went for the heavy duty one and went ahead and purchased several in each of the graduating sizes so will have those on hand as he grows.

I gave him his first bone (no splintering bones) yesterday with meat still attached and made sure he would allow me to take it from him etc. so I've worked on not allowing food aggressions from day one. I think I may have worked on that a little too much because when Gracie comes over he will allow that snip of a terrier to back him off from his own food bowl.

I guess I will try crating him a bit more when he's inside. I'll see if that helps and I'll start with the vinegar solution to clean - any suggestions made I will try them.

I know the peanut butter thing for the nipping has really done well. He still mouths and nips, but I can say kisses and he immediately suspects there is going to be some peanut butter and he begins licking. He does not nip around the face. He has always been gentle about licking the face. He goes for his 12 week shots this afternoon so I will see how much he has grown. I will say that a part of the problem could have been that we were not with him for well over a week while my husband was in the hospital so that could be a contributor to his blacksliding. She has three small ones and I know she was unable to care for him on the same level we had so that might be one issue. Anyway, back to potty training 101.
    Kathy