Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default He'll calm down... right?

Diego is still doing great in his training, but he's also still very much a puppy! About what age to these gentle giants start becoming gentle?

Also, when does the teething phase end? He's pretty good about what he chews on (thanks to lots of toys), but he always needs something to chew on. My friend's Pyrs chew anything they can still at age 4. I'm well aware that chewing is a "dog thing" and that they need an outlet, but when does it become less of an issue?
    Rachel | Diego & Dazzle | Photography | Missing Echo and Julio

"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy stopped teething around 8 months or so, her back teeth were the last ones in. She doesn't destroy things anymore really, she will still mouth shoes but that's about it.

As for the calm thing she is still pretty hyper at times. She will run circles for hours even after a four hour session at the dog park.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

LOL...I was wondering the same thing (regarding when they calm down) when I came here. Hope someone has an answer...Rajah nearly knocked me over when he decided to take a corner (that I happened to be standing in).

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Chewing @ 4 sounds like boredom plain and simple.

As for when they settle down .. about 2 1/2 to 3 years old they start to scale back and are pretty laid back by 3 1/2... of course this assumes they recieve a normal amount of exercise.

_Red

Jewel`s Photos

There is a huge difference between Bijou a year ago at 1 1/2 and today at 2 1/2. She has always been very excitable and hyper for a pyr. Had a TERRIBLE habit of jumping on people. I never tried much to correct her of that because my gut feel was that she'd grow out of it. A year ago when she got excited in agility class, she did "zoomies" around the course paying no attention to me.

Today she only occassionally jumps on people, she focuses very well on me in agility class, to the extent that when the whippet is doing zoomies during class, she doesn't even give him a glance. In the last couple of weeks I've been taking her off leash in a clearing at the park, and she is now staying with me much better and when she did run off by herself, she turned back to me without running into the bushes or down to the river out of sight like she used to do.

I'd say the difference started showing after she turned 2.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

Butters is 8 months, and pretty calm now for the most part. He is my laid back dude.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Diego actually got a lot calmer after I posted this, oddly enough. When we go back home to visit my family he gets a lot more energetic. I guess all the new sights and sounds and smells gives him reason to be up and exploring more. I'm also unable to watch him as diligently, which means he gets into more trouble than normal. He's been very well behaved lately though.

I agree that the the chewing in my friend's 4 year old Pyrs does sound like boredom, but they have 26 acres of land, a 4 acre lake, and a herd of mini horses to guard. How could they be bored? That sounds like the perfect life for a Pyr to me. They haven't had a lot of human interaction (despite how amazingly social they are with people and other dogs) so they've never really been told not to do something. They're as headstrong as they come, though, so I bet they wouldn't listen anyway!

Diego is starting to react to strange noises now, and yesterday he barked something fierce! He's also staying awake at night more often to guard the back door. I feel very protected.
    Rachel | Diego & Dazzle | Photography | Missing Echo and Julio

"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

That's good to hear. Each dog will have its own personality, which means not all generalizations or averages will apply to every dog. My last Newfie was quite playful and liked the chew toys until he passed, while my Sebastian and Isabella will play hard during the day with each other and they are both around 6 years. Sebastian is more of a chewer of the two and will still chew on the Nylabones and rope toys occasionally. My Yellow Lab, Henry, is going on 13 years, and he still chews on the Nylabones.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Brindles View Post
    they have 26 acres of land, a 4 acre lake, and a herd of mini horses to guard. How could they be bored? That sounds like the perfect life for a Pyr to me.
    See, I don't agree with that entirely. The pyr's original job was to move around the Pyrenees Mountains with the sheep herds. The sheep herds were moved from open pasture to open pasture throughout the year and the dogs move with them and thus they must deal with different terrains, enviornments and situations. Most of the modern day pyrs work in fenced in pastures and a lot are on small farms. Therefore many of these modern day working pyrs spend their entire lives confined within the boundaries of the farm. That is not a big universe for a dog that has been bred to roam the mountain ranges for centuries.

Many farms and ranches out here in Texas use pyrs to guard livestock. Some do their job well and stay with the livestock, but many others simply walk off because of the instinct to roam, as they are not content to sit around the same pasture day after day. So, I do think it is possible for some working pyrs to get bored too. Just my opinion.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) grtpyrlvr's Avatar

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

I think it depends on the individual dog and their personality with this breed. Our second pyr never chwed as a puppy, was not excitable, and always behaved. Our first one, not so much! I have had older fosters here that will still chew something if they are not happy with what is going on. Our puppy now is just 6 months old and is very laid back but I don't realize this till we dog sit a typical puppy. An hour into the day care day my guys are usually crashed on their dog beds while the visiting dogs are usually running around and playing.

Even at the dog park people always comment on how laid back the puppy is. She plays maybe 20 minutes then naps!
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang
    R.I.P. Winter you will be missed.... 8/5/2011